Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

NEIL GAIMAN'S SANDMAN

Many of us enjoy Gainman's Sandman series. Some would argue it is one of, if not the, best series in the history of comics. This is for those of us who like it and for those who want to know more about it.

(just for you Keeyah) :biggrin:

To get started here is a list of the trades of the series:

Preludes and Nocturnes: issues 1-8

The Dolls House: issues 9-16

Dream Country: issues 17-20

Season of Mist: issues 21-28

A Game of You: issues 32-37

Fables & Reflections: issues 29-31, 38-40, 50, Sandman Special # 1, and Vertigo Preview # 1

Brief Lives: issues 41-49

Worlds End: issues 51-56

The Kindly Ones: issues 57-69

The Wake: issues 70-75

All of these could in theory be read individually, but I HIGHLY do not recommend this, as it is better to get the full story.

Dreamhunters- Japanese take on Sandman

Endless Nights- stand-alone graphic novel featuring stories that focus on each of the seven members of the Endless. (they being: Dream, Destruction, Death, Desire, Despair, Deliurium[who was called Delight], and Destiny)

Edited by talkinghead79

Neil Gaiman?! He's so dreamy!

There's also a short story written by Neil in the "Sandman: Dust Covers" TPB, which is a collection of McKean's covers on "Sandman", about the writing of the "Sandman" comic.

Neither "Endless Nights" nor "Dream Hunters" are actual parts of the "Sandman" series. Issues #1-75 and the Annual make up the official "Sandman" comic. The other two are related projects starring Morpheus.

For anyone who wants to find out more about the "Sandman" comic, after they've read the series, I highly recommend "Sandman Companion" by Hy Bender. It's full of GREAT info, everything you could want to know about the series, dissecting stories, behind the scenes, interviews with Neil.

Oh, and I truly do believe that "Sandman" is the greatest on-going comic book series of all time!

Neil Gaiman?! He's so dreamy!

There's also a short story written by Neil in the "Sandman: Dust Covers" TPB, which is a collection of McKean's covers on "Sandman", about the writing of the "Sandman" comic.

Neither "Endless Nights" nor "Dream Hunters" are actual parts of the "Sandman" series. Issues #1-75 and the Annual make up the official "Sandman" comic. The other two are related projects starring Morpheus.

no, no, Endless Nights is officially book XI in the Sandman library while Dream Hunters isn't. maybe one of us should email Neil about it...

that short story in Dust Covers is one of my favourite Sandman stories, btw. I love how it goes together with Snakes & Ladders in the "comic book creators meeting their creations" department.

Endless Nights is definitely official. That was part of the big advertising push behind the book when it first came out, so unless the companies involved in that did so completely without Neil's permission, it seems like it's the official "last" book.

Along these lines, is there anyone else here who couldn't stay with The Dreaming? I tried a good 15-20 issues over the years it ran, and could never get into it, and I really wanted to, seeing as Sandman itself is in my top 5 of favorite series of all time and space.

At least Lucifer is damn good.

Along these lines, is there anyone else here who couldn't stay with The Dreaming?  I tried a good 15-20 issues over the years it ran, and could never get into it, and I really wanted to, seeing as Sandman itself is in my top 5 of favorite series of all time and space.

I hated The Dreaming. it was just too "hmm, let's see which character that appeared in any panel of The Sandman we haven't done a story on". Lucifer is rather good, yes.

Dreaming had a few good issues (i loked The Goldie Factor), but it was nowhere near Sandman...

Sandman was a great series. I think I liked Season of Mists and The Kindly Ones best.

The Dolsl House for me. Loved the idea of a Serial Killer convention.

Favourite member of the Endless would have to be Delirium followed by Destruction.

Sandman was a great series. I think I liked Season of Mists and The Kindly Ones best.

The Dolsl House for me. Loved the idea of a Serial Killer convention.

Favourite member of the Endless would have to be Delirium followed by Destruction.

I love these books -- Rogan turned me on to them and I am grateful to him --

I really like Preludes and Nocturnes and obviously my favorite character other then Dream is Death

Really Jude? :D Death is great, I love how relaxed she is about everything. The Death story in Preludes and Nocturnes is my favourite. Borrowed 'The Time of Your Life' the other day but didn't like it much.

I am partial to "Seasons of Mist." The devil giving up Hell, and closing up shop. Brilliant. Not to mention that this was the starting point for one of my favorite books: Lucifer.

As far as individual stories, I like all three Shakespear stories, and the one about the first and only emperor of the United State of America.

I somehow ended up buying every issue of the "Dreaming"! I still don't understand how....

The book became a complete failure after Kiernan took over full-time.

When the book was an anthology series (just as with every anthology) there were some very weak stories and some really good stories.

It's not "Sandman", so don't even compare the two. If you were doing that, then no wonder you hated the damn thing!

I really see no reason why "Endless Nights" should be considered part of the official "Sandman" library.....

I am partial to "Seasons of Mist." The devil giving up Hell, and closing up shop. Brilliant.

It kind of reminded me of Death Takes a Holiday -- and I wonder how much this much older story influenced it??

As far as individual stories, I like all three Shakespear stories,

I love the Shakespear stories -- and the ones about the immortal man who becomes Dreams friend (cannot remember the name ...sigh!

Really Jude?  :biggrin:  Death is great, I love how relaxed she is about everything. The Death story in Preludes and Nocturnes is my favourite. Borrowed 'The Time of Your Life' the other day but didn't like it much.

Yes Keeyah :biggrin: She's cool and I really like the idea of Death as a woman.

I understand there is a movie deal in the works about Death -- It will be interesting to see how Gaiman works this out without compromising the stories and the character --

I really see no reason why "Endless Nights" should be considered part of the official "Sandman" library.....

Well, because that's how it was sold, that's the word from DC, and Gaiman hasn't done anything to indicate to the contrary.

Is there a reason why it SHOULDN'T be considered official?

And it's pretty hard to not compare "The Dreaming" to "Sandman." It's one thing to have a character like Lucifer get his own series which basically has all-new characters and locations. "The Dreaming" was packed with stories and characters you couldn't help but compare to what Gaiman had done to them, since we had seen him write so damn well about it all for an entire series prior.

I love the Shakespear stories -- and the ones about the immortal man who becomes Dreams friend (cannot remember the name ...sigh!

Hob Gadling!

you're welcome, i loved his stories (especially since Michael Zulli drew them! i wonder what he's doing these days, comics-wise?)

Well, because I didn't enjoy "Endless Nights" that much, is why!

I give every issue in "Sandman" an A or A+, but "Endless Nights" gets around a B-.

It ruins the GPA, dammit!

Rogan-I adore Hob Gadling. I'm not sure if him or Morpheus is my favourite character from the series.....

Guest Guest
Borrowed 'The Time of Your Life' the other day but didn't like it much.

I just read Death: Time Of Your Life at my work this morning and i didn't like it too much either, i preferred Death: The High Cost Of Living because the character of Death/Didi was more engaging and quirky, it was ironic in the sense that since she was actually the embodiment of death itself, she had so much more life and humanity in her to share with others than the human characters did.

In Time Of Your Life, she was slightly more withdrawn and reserved and less ostentatious and upbeat and seems to take a minor role in the proceedings but i felt that the two stories couldn't really be compared in the sense that Death in High Cost Of Living was the character that seemed to be the main driving force in that story and all of the events that occurred in that tale revolved solely around her character whereas Time Of Your Life was merely about the trials and tribulations of everyone involved with Foxglove.

It was also a nice little surprise John Constantine turning up at the end to help Death with her whimsical but informative advert about safe sex and AIDS by holding a banana as she slips a condom onto it :lol:

I just read Death: Time Of Your Life at my work this morning and i didn't like it too much either, i preferred Death: The High Cost Of Living because the character of Death/Didi was more engaging and quirky, it was ironic in the sense that since she was actually the embodiment of death itself, she had so much more life and humanity in her to share with others than the human characters did.

In Time Of Your Life, she was slightly more withdrawn and reserved and less ostentatious and upbeat and seems to take a minor role in the proceedings but i felt that the two stories couldn't really be compared in the sense that Death in High Cost Of Living was the character that seemed to be the main driving force in that story and all of the events that occurred in that tale revolved solely around her character whereas Time Of Your Life was merely about the trials and tribulations of everyone involved with Foxglove.

It was also a nice little surprise John Constantine turning up at the end to help Death with her whimsical but informative advert about safe sex and AIDS by holding a banana as she slips a condom onto it :lol:

Time Of Your Life was actually "The screwed-up relationship of those two dykes from A Game Of You, guest-starring everyone's favorite Death Goth-ess"

you're welcome, i loved his stories (especially since Michael Zulli drew them! i wonder what he's doing these days, comics-wise?)

Zulli recently did that hardcover of Gaiman adaptations for Dark Horse, called Creatures of the Night. one of the stories is really excellent ("The Price") while the other one is merely ok ("Daughter of the Owls"). he's working on another collection right now, I think.

I think The Time of Your Life is ok, but nowhere near as good as The High Cost of Living. I like about three quarters of Endless Nights. In general, I think expectations ran too high, way too high. but the Death story was fantastic.

my favourite Sandman Stories? well, Ramadan and Calliope are standouts, but of the longer sequences I like The Wake (but only if you also include Sunday Mourning, the last Hob Gadling story), Preludes and Nocturnes (I am posibly the only person who liked Sam Kieth's art on it, huh?) and Brief Lives. shit, and all the others, except A Game of You.