Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

NEIL GAIMAN'S SANDMAN

Guest spiderlegs

And let's not forget the most pivotal death in the whole series called forth the Furies to settle the blood debt: the death of Orpheus at the hands of his own father.

"The Kindly Ones" was so fucking epic.

OH! Besides the Dr. D gore-fest and the horrid death of John's girlfriend (which I cannot believe I forgot!), any random deaths in "Sandman" (other than Kindly Ones") and Delano's "Hellblazer" did not overshadow the plot. The sign of good story-telling in my opinion. You come away remembering the story, not the pointless deaths.

"Girl Who Would Be Death" was shite, but Rogan is right, NOT part of "Sandman Presents".

hmm....I liked "Love Street" because of J.C., "Lucifer" because of Lucifer, "Dead Boy Detectives" was fun, "Corinthian" was good, "The Furies" was probably the best. But all of the ones I listed were close contenders.

10_05k.jpg

SANDMAN #1 free download.

Only to plug these fat overpriced bind ups where they've fixed the colouring mistakes, though.

One wonders why they didn't do that on any of the occasions where they've changed the existing bind ups: presumably DC feels that unified cover designs are more important than the contents, as a rule.

Guest spiderlegs

Meh! It's cool for someone who's never read it to download it for free. Quit staring at that horse's mouth...

Only to plug these fat overpriced bind ups where they've fixed the colouring mistakes, though.

Yeah, just like all those other #1 issues they've been putting up on the Vertigo site...oh WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE

Yeah, just like all those other #1 issues they've been putting up on the Vertigo site...oh WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE

They made a thing of reissuing the first issue for 50 cents or something. No indication of them doing any further issues at that price (or at all) it's one of those teaser things.

Yeah, they even call it the Sandman:Special Edition #1....

It's just a cheap reissuing of the first issue of Sandman. Don't give it an all-important sounding name, like it's the long-lost issue of Sandman first seeing the light of day!

Yeah, they even call it the Sandman:Special Edition #1....

It's just a cheap reissuing of the first issue of Sandman. Don't give it an all-important sounding name, like it's the long-lost issue of Sandman first seeing the light of day!

I do wonder why they couldn't be arsed to do anything about the colouring errors before now, though. One would almost suspect it's an attempt to sell the same material to the same people again, for slightly different money.

If someone cares so much about the colouring that they are willing to pay out loads of money to get comics they already own, I say either they have enough money that we shouldn't care, or they deserve to be taken advantage of by DC.

If someone cares so much about the colouring that they are willing to pay out loads of money to get comics they already own, I say either they have enough money that we shouldn't care, or they deserve to be taken advantage of by DC.

Possibly, but as I say, I find myself wondering why DC didn't fix this previously.

Almost certainly money. And by the time they knew that the trades were selling well enough to keep going with them, they'd gone past the really awful-looking issues.

I'd rather see that dreadful Colleen Doran issue of "Game of You" redrawn by her.

So, dogpoet, I assume you've never bought a special edition DVD for the remastered picture/sound and extra features, eh? Not only that, but you're cynical at the very possibility that anyone might want to do so?

I agree that DC's ABSOLUTE books are over-priced, but like the Absolute Watchmen which came out last year (and which is a thing of beauty, and a joy for the ages), this isn't just a 10-minute "quick, let's redo the colouring over the weekend and milk the punters for a few extra bucks" reissue.

Since the ABSOLUTE books aren't intended as a market-place replacement for the standard-sized, standard-price trades, I'm more curious as to whether they'll eventually replace the colouring in future editions of Preludes & Nocturnes and The Doll's House.

Since the ABSOLUTE books aren't intended as a market-place replacement for the standard-sized, standard-price trades, I'm more curious as to whether they'll eventually replace the colouring in future editions of Preludes & Nocturnes and The Doll's House.

I'm assuming that they're not planning to, which is why I'm a bit suspicious of the exercise. As James says, it's only the first couple of collections that need the colouring correcting in the first place, isn't it?

(And no, I don't think I have bought any DVD special editions.)

I'm certain that they'll put the recoloured versions in standard TPB format a year or so after Absolute Sandman finishes being published, because The Sandman's in continual publication anyway and they might as well give it a bit of a revamp to pull in some more punters.

That's what I'm hoping for, certainly - at standard prices, I'd be willing to replace our old, dodgily-coloured copies of the first two Sandman trades. I'd love to be able to afford the oversized, extras-stuffed Absolute edition, but I just don't have that sort of money to throw around at comics I already own.

I'm guessing it won't be for a good few years yet. I'm not actually bothered by the colouring, but I may well be tempted to replace it with the nicer versions if only because it'll be easier to lend out without people immediately being put off.

I'm guessing it won't be for a good few years yet. I'm not actually bothered by the colouring, but I may well be tempted to replace it with the nicer versions if only because it'll be easier to lend out without people immediately being put off.

The couple of sample pages of recoloured Sam Keith art in Previews did look a lot clearer.

I'm dubious that they're going to recolour the other collections when they can make more money by keeping these ones in print, though.

So I just finished issue #74 of The Sandman, and a couple of questions (proposed by Gaiman in his afterword in The Kindly Ones) have been running around in my head. If anyone has any "answers" or opinions, please shed some light this way....

Basically, Gaiman asks:

"Who set Loki and Puck on their paths?"

"Who made Lyta their pawn?"

"Who was really behind Morpheus's death?"

Until I read this, I thought the answer(s) was simple: Morpheus.

Morpheus engineered his own death. Certainly some characters helped ensure this outcome; Thessaly protected Lyta from Dream, Nuala called for Dream, Orpheus begged for death, etc., etc.

But wasn't the architect behind Dream's death, Dream? I thought this wasn't much of a mystery, but Gaiman's planted a seed of doubt in my mind....

It can't be Desire because his/her plan failed. S/he had intended for Dream to kill Rose Walker when she became the vortex, thus spilling family blood (Desire was Rose's "grandfather").

And didn't Dream free Loki?

So..... if it's not Dream, who the hell is it?

By the way, Michael Zulli RULES.

The Fates.

Dream killed himself.

There are architects helping ensure that Dream only follows one path (you also left out Lucifer who claimed that by giving Morpheus the keys to Hell, he was insuring that he would gain his ultimate revenge on Morpheus for the insult), but you could say his ending is made from the beginning. Therefore, since Gaiman was writing a modern day tragedy, it makes sense that in some sense Fate was behind everything.

But, since this isn't just a Greek tragedy, but a modern day tragedy, Fate isn't exactly the answer it would've been in ancient Greece, as we understand the concept of "Free Will" today, so in effect, Dream made sure that the only possible solution was his own death.

Look at the comment he makes about how he can never change. As we read the series, we realize this isn't true. We watch Dream change. But, like the suicidal man in search of his own destruction, Dream continued along the same path, making sure not to change his fate.

Thanks for the response.... That's what I figured.

I guess I just don't understand why Gaiman wrote what he did in the afterword.

Had people been coming up to him asking those questions?

Were they really confused about what happened?

I felt it was all fairly straightforward from the outset.

I managed to be one of the lucky bastards who got into amazon.com on time when they had their ENORMOUS fuck up of putting Absolute Sandman vol.1 up for 15 dollars.

I managed to be one of the lucky bastards who got into amazon.com on time when they had their ENORMOUS fuck up of putting Absolute Sandman vol.1 up for 15 dollars.

Ok, I hate you a little now. Just a little. But mainly I hate myself for now browsing Amazon at the same time as you. Oh, how I covet Absolute Sandman.

Guest spiderlegs

But did Dream seek the end to his existence because of that little bruhaha with Orpheus? (I'm not wanting to divulge spoilers and too lazy to do them right, currently) Was he really that sad about it? I always got the idea that Orpheus was a piece of shit, as far as Dream was concerned. But I loved bringing back Lyta from the beginning and ultimately making her the catalyst of his destruction. BUT I can't recall the connection her superhero mother had to the Furies--might someone tell?