Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Bulletproof Coffin

There was a review of it the week after it came out by the guy who does the X-Axis comic book review.

He made it sound really interesting.

If you want to check out the review, Balty, he's at www.HouseToAstonish.com now. scroll down to the June 6th week.

I'll definitely check this out when I get time.

Yes, indeed! It is indeed very good - nice creepy start to the story, and lovely art. I've liked Shaky Kane since the Deadline days, so I'm looking forward to meeing him and Hine at my friendly local comic shop (Legacy Comics, Halifax) on Friday.

Actually, if he doesn't closely resemble William Burroughs, I'll be a little disappointed.

His best stuff more or less were the comics that Burroughs would have done in the '60s if Jack Kirby had been working with him rather than Stan Lee, weren't they?

Mind you, he's done a lot of dreadful crap as well. Soul Gun Warrior. Dearie me...

Not familiar with this guy, I went to Wikipedia and saw this:

Vector 13 (writing):

"Case One: Who Was the Mothman?"

Awesome! Why can't this be available in the States?

I also thought I saw that he worked on Zippy:Nation of Pinheads, which blew my mind. Then I saw it actually said Pinhead Nation.

Deadline was reprinted here through Dark Horse back in the early-90s. I'm not sure what all was reprinted though.

The Dark Horse reprints were selections of stuff, padded out with strips from American cartoonists. Most of the obvious suspects made it into those (Tank Girl, Wired World and Hugo Tate in particular), but a lot more didn't. No idea if they did any Shakey Cane or not, though.

He was in Revolver quite a bit, though. Didn't you say you'd read some of those, Christian?

Just the stuff that was reprinted over here.

Rogan Gosh, obviously.

Morrison's Dare was reprinted by an indy company back in the '80s.

I've read more of the Crisis material than Revolver.

Right. I don't think any of Kane's Revolver stuff has been reprinted, then.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's only Mr Shaky Kane in person, down my local comic shop!

4732683871_8765fe39fd.jpg

OK, so he doesn't resemble WS Burroughs, but he is a very nice man. We had a good chat about the Deadline days (Fornicator Terminator!), eyeball heads, Halifax geography, and Hollywood's needless insistence on character motivation. I bought a poster of Ramona, Queen of the Stone Age, and Mr Kane's limited-edition Monster Truck book. And he and David Hine did a sketch for me (I requested 'something nuclear').

4732682301_5b0172b216_m.jpg

4733326492_c78b55a632_m.jpg

Happy me.

Hey, Christian. Had read the review and many others. The book has been getting some great feedback! Surely can't wait for #2. Have you read this yet, Christian?

Dammit, TimC! Consider me envious! Looks like a damn great time! And actually, my brother was in London for a while and hung out with Dave and his friends. I have to ask him if Shaky was one of them. Then I'd REALLY be envious. Bah.

Have you guys seen the commission Hine did for me last NYCC?

AddamsFamilywithGregbyDavidHine.jpg

I always wanted to be a part of the family! :laugh:

Hey, Tim. Read #2 yet?

I really loved this book thus far. I don't know where this story is going and that's a big part of the fun. The Shield of Justice story was very damn good and I can't wait to see what's the next comic next issue. Steve is already a very good character and I'm quite engaged and scared of what he's going to be going through. If I know Hine's work, a lot of messed us crap is gonna happen to him. And I really do not like his kids. Something bad is going to occur due to them. Maybe they're secretly the Big 2 Black and White agents!

This book is simply fun throughout. The art complements it well. I love the difference in tones from Steve's story to the comic he reads. And that gorgeous double splash page of the 4 heroes. Art like Shaky's make me wish I continued drawing when I was still sketching and stuff. Hmm, this just may inspire me.

The mail pages in the back were also fun stuff.

Sorry Balthazar - didn't see your message about issue 2.

But number 3 now! And crikey Moses, but it just keeps getting better. It's got it all this issue - metatextuality, zombies, girls in fur bikinis. It's damn good comics.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to review though. All you can say is, "It's awesome! Read it!".

Easily one of the best books of this year. Easily.

BulletproofCoffin6_300.jpg

THE BULLETPROOF COFFIN #6 (of 6)

story DAVID HINE & SHAKY KANE

art & cover SHAKY KANE

NOVEMBER 17

32 PAGES / FC

$3.99

Steve Noman finally tracks down Hine and Kane in this breathtaking climax to our epic tale of love, loss and laxatives. Just who the heck are The Shadow Men anyway? Will The Creators pull this off or will they disappear up their own flabby wrinkled backsides? Find out in “The Dotted Line…”

RETAILER WARNING: MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES

OK! I will read the book! I promise, I won't let ya down! :boogie:

BTW I dig Shaky's style. Sort of Mike Allred meets Harry Crumb with a dash of Paul Grist. Or maybe that's just me. Still awesome.

I have read the whole mini-series now! WOW & AMAZING, just don't quite cut it. I get why Christian says it's hard describe, other than saying "Read it!" Book of the year? Could be!

I want more of these characters. I especially like the Red Wraith. Say his name 3 times, and if you are pure of heart and in mortal danger, he will come to your aid!

Apparently there is a sort-of sequel in the works, featuring further adventures of the Golden Nugget characters.

Personally, I'd like to see a little more of Ramona.

Sweet!

Maybe I'm a bit dumb, but I don't get the name "Coffin Fly"....or maybe I'm not supposed to?

It's a kind of fly that's found in coffins.

There are about 4,000 different types of coffin flies. Though known for their ability to be the only insect that can penetrate six feet of dirt, a sealed coffin, and the lack of oxygen underground to get to their "food source" (human remains), they can also be found in homes, drain pipes, and decaying plant matter. Not only are they carnivorous, but they enjoy eating dead plants, fungi, and dung. If it's dead (and hard to get to!) they are there.

[...]

Even more important is the coffin fly's contribution to ridding the world of pests like the fire ant. In the 1930s, fire ants were introduced to the US (accidentally). There are 110 species that enjoy decapitating fire ants and leaving them to wander aimlessly for up to two weeks without a head, only to starve to death. The coffin fly then lays her eggs in the ant's head, which is enzyme rich and provides an excellent source of nutrition for her young. The coffin fly is so well known for it's ant beheadings that the coffin fly's tendency for chewing off ant heads is better researched than their appetite for rotting flesh!

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-coffin-flies-environmental-contribution

No worse than basing your superhero identity on a bat or a spider, I suppose...