J. White

The Avengers

I hope you're wrong. This film already has enough elements to bring together if they're not going to also throw an entirely new alien species into the mix.

I disagree. It would appear that the movie version of the Avengers is going to be heavily based on Millar/Hitch's Ultimates, and the first volume that managed to squeeze a new-reader-friendly introduction to every major character, a decent-scale first-act conflict, then a full-on second act alien invasion epic into only 12 fairly heavily decompressed issues. For that matter, the second volume used Loki as the behind-the-scenes mastermind behind an attack carried out by an entirely different set of enemies, which I suspect may also be an influence.

Joss Whedon, for all his faults as a writer and director, has plenty of form when it comes to handling a large ensemble cast, and Marvel's entire promotional policy for their cinematic franchise seems to be predicated on the idea that the audience will already have seen the other movies, so I don't think a huge amount of time will be wasted on (re-)introductions. Loki as arch-antagonist, skrulls as invading army of bad guys? There's no reason that can't be done justice in a two-hour movie.

On a different note, I really liked that trailer. "We have a Hulk" - SOLD.

The awesome thing about Hulk is, if you need to unleash him it is because the alternative must be unthinkable.

So you can go as far as you care to with setting up "The Alternative".

That would be awesome!!! But I don't think so. There's some screen-caps, I too lazy to find, that show them to be more....Asgardian like. More like Frost Giants.

Are those a bunch of Ultrons?

WTF are Ultrons?

Ultron. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultron

I think he mutiplied himself once.

Can't find the still form the trailer I was looking at but they show some 'troopers' jumping through the sky and the looked a bit Ultrony.

Yeah, looking at that still; those aren't very Ultrony.

[edit] Something from Asgard makes more sense. Not sure how you can stuff the Skrull in there with so much going on. Not sure where/how Frost Giants would get space ships but I'm sure it will be cool.

The frost giants aren't from Asgard, they're from Utgard!

An interesting piece of action which I will support:

http://www.change.org/petitions/marvel-entertainment-give-credit-and-royalties-to-jack-kirby-and-his-family

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2012/02/the_avengers_why_i_m_boycotting_marvel_s_movie.html

Stephen Bissette

Between the enthusiasm for THE AVENGERS movie (as Marvel further puts the shaft to the Kirby heirs) and the WATCHMEN whatever, my disgust for what passes for a "comics community" makes it reeeeeeeeeeally easy to just avoid all future cons and gatherings outside of my daily CCS duties. I think I'd absolutely, ceaselessly projectile vomit if placed in proximity of any 2012 "comics con event."

I'm in. It's not like "Kirby gets screwed by Marvel" is a new twist, but I had no idea his estate weren't even getting royalties from this. DC are a long, long way from saints in this regard, but comparing this with the way people like Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Frank Miller and Jerry Robinson were given credit and at least some money for the influence their work had on the Nolan Bat-films, when there was no legal obligation on DC to extend them that courtesy, Marvel look even worse. Fuck'em.

Dude, download it off the internet.

And then what? Watch it on my PC? No thanks, I want the big screen experience.