J. White

The Avengers

I refuse to watch trailers now - the first one got me excited - now I just want it all to surprise me.

My question for you all is: 3D or not?

I personally relish the chance for some multidimensional eye feasts (having only been to a few 3D movies so far...)

My question for you all is: 3D or not?

I dunnoo...probably not. I'm not one of these 3D haters. But it only works for me for movies in which it was intended. Adding it after the fact does me no good (see Wratch of the Titans). Not sure which category this falls into.

Ohh, was this an after the fact addition? I thought it was intended that way...

I don't know meaner. It may have been intended for 3D. But you just can't tell anymore.

Yeah, I think cameron always had it in his mind that titanic would be in 3D - haha. (I find this new fad of money grubbing by turning out old movies into 3D a real farce - and it's the same old suspects of money grubbing too... Cameron, Lucas.) Seriously George, don't you think that dead horse is a bit too flogged already? But that's me getting off topic...

Just read the petition re Kirby and while I'm incensed, it actually feels like too much to ask to give up watching this movie. The problem with this petition/complaint is that all that would result is that a whole bunch of comic fans will miss out, and make next to no dent - while the general public go on oblivious, enjoying a movie that the rest of are dying to see...

Not that I'm saying lack of numbers should stop us from standing up against what is wrong...but is there a better way to do it (that doesnt involve us missing this kick ass movie...?)

On 3D: I think they made Cap with 3D in mind but I went to see it in standard 2D and didn't miss a thing, save one or two gratuitous "Cap flies through the air" moments. So even if they had 3D in mind, it may not be useful as it is in say TinTin or Christmas Carol or Alice in Winderland.

I can't think which movie it was I saw last ( Aging Brain ) but it was a "new" kind of 3D, and at Aucklands Imax theatre, and it Just. Blew. Me. Away. It was so good, so different to what I had seen before, quite impossible to say that it didn't enhance the experience, it was truely like watching the thing actually happening in real time, through a large window.

But yes, Cameron is a pull-through.

I don't know Ben, I have had this problem for a while, if I watch a movie, or TV show, sometimes even on the bus ride home I have already forgotten the name of it, struggle to remember anything from it even, sometimes I am sitting there once I am home and almost frightned at how blank the spot that should have a movie-just-watched emblazoned in it is. It clearly is some sort of software fault, because I can remember going into the show, and coming out, but often, enough of what happened between those two events is gone, so I can't make out what I watched. If I sit there and think think think for quite a while, sometimes it goes "click' and I can get it all clear like normal, but sometimes nothing comes. Very rarely, and only recently as far as I remember, I have been standing in a shop or library and had the same sort of blank happen when trying to remember name of the last one or two books I have read.

Something going on, I guess. Doesn't happen everytime though, not even half the times. And in what I suspect is the same effect, I have had people tell me we have been introduced before, recently even, and for the life of me I can't remember ever hearing their name, or the least fragment of their face, just like a complete stranger.

And yet I can read any book, and weeks later I can open it looking to track down some plot point or check some esoteric fact, read one line from which ever page I open it to, then virtually say with certainty "52 pages further on and on the left side of the page, is the thing I am looking for", so it can't be my memory going. Also I can memorise a poem in three readings through, and a phone number in just about a minute flat.

People have been a bit disturbed at times on how complete my memory is for books, I have had people often say "How the fuck do you remember that, I read it much more recently than you, and i didn't remember a tenth of that" when talking about a book I read years ago.

Maybe linked to how I dream in a narrative, almost never in pictures. maybe all the reading I have done, and the fact almost never watch television has altered how my memory works?.

I just don't know. I worry sometimes, but shit, we are not here for a long time, may as not worry about the little stuff, eh?.

I have that probem sometimes Avaunt. But I've been in a constant cloud of Canabis for over half my life. The good news is, every movie I watch is almost always re-watchable. My biggest problem these days is staying awake in movies.

Spoiler free review for the rest of the world, except Australia:

Muahahahahahaaa! It rocked.

It surprisingly didn't feel like a Whedon direction job. I'd put it at least on par if not higher than Iron Man.

When is it releasing over there?

Saw it. Loved it. Some criticisms, but they're pretty nitpicky, so I'll skip them. Overall, it does a better job of juggling about a dozen wildly incompatible elements and somehow making them fit together more-or-less seamlessly. It's all very, very Whedon, too - the plot is pretty generic superhero action fare, but the screenplay and direction have more personality than one might expect from such a huge corporate juggernaut. Recommended.

Saw it. Loved it. Some criticisms, but they're pretty nitpicky, so I'll skip them. Overall, it does a better job of juggling about a dozen wildly incompatible elements and somehow making them fit together more-or-less seamlessly. It's all very, very Whedon, too - the plot is pretty generic superhero action fare, but the screenplay and direction have more personality than one might expect from such a huge corporate juggernaut. Recommended.

Indeed. A solid B I'd say. It also did a good job of combining what are essentially just fantastically-skilled human beings with powerhouses like Hulk and Thor without either overhyping the "normals" or downplaying the ultra-heroes. That part could have gone wrong many ways. I'd also give special props to Mark Ruffalos Banner/Hulk, who surprised me positively.

And thanks to Mark, I even understood the after-credit teaser for the sequel.

(The "it does seem better... " sentence in my last post should have had a "...than I'd expected" in there somewhere.

I'll go along with a B, veering close to a B+. It's not flawless, and there are some pacing issues, but it's easily the best Marvel film since at least the first Iron Man. It starts slightly weakly and gets better as it goes along, too, which is very unusual for a film like this - just about every other modern superhero effort has started strong and then faltered in the final act.

There's a brilliant bit in the big climactic battle with a single long, panning shot moving through the chaos in which we see each of the Avengers in turn doing his or her thing - it really highlights just how well-constructed the whole setpiece is, with an unusually big core cast of characters across a broad range of power levels and skill sets all being given a significant and credible role to play in the resolution. It's deceptively well done, all the more so because it doesn't seem particularly forced.

Question; does it come off as Iron Man and friends?

I didn't think so. Sure, he has a prominent role, but he in no way overshadows the rest.

What Pål said. Downey Jr.'s scene-stealing tendencies do take over at a few points, but on the whole it does a pretty good job of balancing the multiple characters. Whether you're fond of his work or not Whedon has form when it comes to juggling a large ensemble cast, and he does a good job of it here.