J. White

The Avengers

There's a brilliant bit in the big climactic battle with a single long, panning shot moving through the chaos in which we see each of the Avengers in turn doing his or her thing - it really highlights just how well-constructed the whole setpiece is, with an unusually big core cast of characters across a broad range of power levels and skill sets all being given a significant and credible role to play in the resolution. It's deceptively well done, all the more so because it doesn't seem particularly forced.

This seems to be a THE favorit bit from so many reviews I've read. That and some lines with the Hulk.

I'm going to see it at a midnight showing with friends.

So, is there a leader of the group? Previews would suggest it's Iron Man, but ....come on, Cap has to be....right?

So, is there a leader of the group? Previews would suggest it's Iron Man, but ....come on, Cap has to be....right?

There's no formal leader as such. Nick Fury naturally has the initiative in gathering them together. Stark certainly wants to steer things the way he wants them, but when it gets down to the fighting in the end, Cap is the natural leader (to the extent that they have one). So it's a yes and no. They don't have a leader, but they also do, at times.

There's no formal leader as such. Nick Fury naturally has the initiative in gathering them together. Stark certainly wants to steer things the way he wants them, but when it gets down to the fighting in the end, Cap is the natural leader (to the extent that they have one). So it's a yes and no. They don't have a leader, but they also do, at times.

I thought it might be something like that. It makes sense.

I loved it, I would have put it on a par with the first Ironman film until The Hulk [ Spoiler : sideways punched Thor ], it then became my favourite. I hope Joss Whedon directs the sequel(s), I'd also really like a Black Widow film, it wouldn't even need a plot just Scarett running around for 2 hours.

Everything with Hulk was awesome, but overall the team aspect of it all worked together quite well, no mean feat given the characters on display. Twas paced well and everyone got their moment.

I don't think Thor or Cap got their fare shake, really. Cap particularly lacks the human element aside from his first appearance.

InAAX.jpg

That must be from the extra scene at the end of the credits, the new scene that is not the extra scene in the european release. Not really fair that the US get an extra extra scene.

I don't think I'll laugh harder at a scene in a film this year than during "puny god".

Sethos I agree!! It was such a wonderful payoff. That scene got the biggest laugh/cheer/pop of the night. Also, much respect to that 'god' and his reaction right at the end of it.

Loved it. So much fun, so many cool moments, so many great characters and the 3D effects were bad ass. Well done.

[edit] Agreed about "puny god". That had me howlin'. The whole theater erupted. Also I was surprised that there were that many people in the theater so early. It wasn't even noon and it was sold out.

Downey was unsurprisingly awesome but - for me - the real treat was Ruffalo as Hulk. My favourite screen iteration of the character by far, right there. He absolutely nailed the role of Banner.

Also, major props to Hiddleston. Withnail via Asgard was the perfect way to go.

Agree with everyone here - liked it very much.

Hi man, hope you are crusing it!. Was the theatre full where everyone saw it?. I couldn't get a ticket today! Sold out on 4 screens before 11.30 for goodness sakes!.

Going to see it tomorrow.

Yeah it sold out here everywhere.

Also as Abhimanyu said, I think Ruffalo's Hulk and the actor playing Loki were some of the highest points of this whole flick. The guy playing Loki was just so...believable.

I'm with Abhi about Hulk. I rather liked Norton's version but Ruffalo nailed it and brought something new, making me actually enjoy the character.

Also, I'd love some sort of SHIELD movie featuring Black Widow & Hawkeye doing some black ops.

Also, I'd love some sort of SHIELD movie featuring Black Widow & Hawkeye doing some black ops.

And relaxing in the hottub afterwards, yus.

Seriously though, that would be an awesome idea, because they could develop Natashas character more, explain why she isn't friendly and gushy, likes to kill blokes a lot, etc. And it would be good to see a movie where special effects didn't have to dominate, that was still nontheless a "comics" movie.

When do we get to see a cool comics movie from the point of view of Victor Von Doom?. Everything played straight, where he thinks himself perfectly justified and the good bloke just looking out for his own nation. ( And by his own nation of course, one means the place run by him, for himself, with his face on the coinage and smoothly cringing lackeys at every hand to cheer him on)

I think it would be excellent to do one like that Tim Allen startrek spoof, Victor against the World!.

True story. I had a shwarma for lunch immediately after viewing the Avengers. it was delicious.

They really have a "Thor Girl" ?

Good grief.

Yours sincerely,

Wonder Woman Boy.

Oh, man. I had forgotten all about that. She was an alien, created during Dan Jurgens run on Thor. She ended up being adopted by Asgard. She was a plucky sidekick for Thor, basically. It was as bad as it sounds too.

I'd love to have someone dig her up and have the Asgardians just give her the cold shoulder.

Pretty sure she didn't make through the last Ragnarök cycle. HAHA

Wasn't she part of the Avengers Intiative in the comics? Part of that 50 state superhero thing?

You might be mistaking her with Squirrel Girl. Squirrel Girl is a much more interesting and believable character though.

Although, they really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to fill all 50 states with superhero teams, so they might have been forced to bring in Thor Girl.