Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

R.I.P. Harvey Pekar

Done by James, late of this parish, several years ago. It always made me laugh:

93656712_d4d64d3fb4.jpg

RIP, Harvey.

James never did like the fact that biography does not follow the rules of storytelling and fiction.

It's no secret that I would much rather read stuff like Pekar's work than any of the other multitude of comics genres that have superheroes in them.

He was very influential on many of the folks whose comics I love. He told a story that deserved to be told and probably helped a lot of people in similar positions to himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEdiH6fh7A&feature=related

Damn! RIP Harvey.

I admitedly did not read much of his work. I loved the movie American Splendor. Maybe I should go read some more.

James never did like the fact that biography does not follow the rules of storytelling and fiction.

It's no secret that I would much rather read stuff like Pekar's work than any of the other multitude of comics genres that have superheroes in them.

I fall somewhere between the two camps, but probably closer to yours than James'. Not everything I've read by Pekar has 'clicked' for me, but this:

He was very influential on many of the folks whose comics I love. He told a story that deserved to be told and probably helped a lot of people in similar positions to himself.

is a very True Thing.

Oh no....very sad.

I loved Pekar's work.

If you haven't read any Pekar, track down the tome titled "American Splendor", which includes Pekar's two earliest volumns (The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar and More American Splendor). It's splendid, and if you don't like that collection, you won't enjoy Pekar.

Some sad news indeed. Albeit I was introduced to his through "American Splendor" the film, I did get read a copy of "Our Cancer Year" a few months after seeing the movie. I never got around to anything else but his work did stick with me.