Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon

You may know them from Umbrella Academy and Casanova.

http://fabioandgabriel.blogspot.com/

If you do not know them from Vertigo's Day Tripper then I advise you to check it out now.

It's the life story of a man who writes obituaries for a brazilian newspaper, told out of sequence, and yet with a very subtle narrative thread running through each issue.

Last week I saw them interviewed by Jamie McKelvie in an upside down purple cow on the Southbank.

They're extremely endearing in person, with an attitude to comics that is transmitted in their own work even more.

http://www2.uol.com.br/10paezinhos/index.html#books

Anyone else reading Day Tripper?

Yes.

I was originally loving it, but it lost my interest by now.

I didn't enjoy the last issue at all, and the ending of each issue has wore thin on me.

Their short story collection De:Tales I think is much more indicative of their potential.

It's not that Daytripper doesn't have inherent worth, but only the early issues I feel are what the two are truly capable of.

I think reading them in one sitting helped.

There is a diminishing return in the way the issues end, a couple of the latter ones have quite a moving impact once you dispense with knowing how they will end.

However the philosophical aspect of ending that way works well for me.

(NB everyone who has not read the lovely slices of life, there is a reason Christian and I are being cagey here !)

The latest one did not float my boat at all.

I love their artwork (you should check outtheir Flickr page, they post a comic strip they do for a Brazilian newspaper there, gorgeous sepia/burnt sienna coloured stuff. unfortunately it's in Portuguese, which I do not speak), but I am kind of disappointed in the storytelling in Daytripper. Maybe it will work better once the whole thing is done. Also, even though the colourist makes a valiant effort, you only need to see the covers and the stuff they post on their aforementioned Flickr page to understand they really should be doing their own (water)colours.

I think reading them in one sitting helped.

There is a diminishing return in the way the issues end, a couple of the latter ones have quite a moving impact once you dispense with knowing how they will end.

However the philosophical aspect of ending that way works well for me.

(NB everyone who has not read the lovely slices of life, there is a reason Christian and I are being cagey here !)

The latest one did not float my boat at all.

Daytripper #8-Oh, I take back everything I said. This issue is one of the best comics I've read in a while. The repetitive endings works in this issue, as you know what's coming by the end of the story, but that's not the pay-off, so it works very well for emotional depth in reading the story. Focusing on others in the life of the main character is so much stronger than looking at the main character at this point.

It might simply be, also, that based on the type of stories being told, that some will click with the reader far more than other ones, and it just happened that the stories that worked best for me were not in the middle of the series.