Sign in to follow this  
J. White

Hellblazer 272

HELLBLAZER #272

Written by Peter Milligan, art by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Simon Bisley and Stefano Landini, cover by Bisley.

John Constantine's potential wife Epiphany Greaves finds herself shunted off to London in 1979 by a love-spurned Shade, The Changing Man! Back in the present, Constantine finds himself right in the path of a succubus with evil on her mind in part 2 of "Bloody Carnations." 32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 20.

hellblazer272.jpg

Alright, that's the first Bisley cover I like.

Also solicited for October -

JOHN CONSTANTINE: HELLBLAZER – CITY OF DEMONS

Written by SI SPENCER; Art and Covers by SEAN MURPHY

Don't miss this stand-alone, 5-issue miniseries from writer Si Spencer (Torchwood) and red-hot artist Sean Murphy (JOE THE BARBARIAN) shipping twice in October!

When John Constantine is run over by a truck, it takes a little while for England's nicotine-fueled magus to realize that he's perched between life and death. After a few weeks of hospital rehab, Constantine find the London streets VERY different from when he left them behind as a series of occult murders and mutilations demands his attention. The common denominator points back to the ER where Constantine was admitted…

http://dccomics.com/vertigo/comics/?cm=15878

Hmm. Why?

Hmm. Didn't see that. Si Spencer? He wrote that Books of Magick: Life During Wartime series years ago, right? It doesn't sound/look like it'll dissapoint.

Is that the Sean Murphy work we saw previously? In a fucking mini-series?

Why aren't they listening?

I shall have to wait for the trade on that one.

Ah yes, I see from the (quite nice) cover preview with the infamous leather jacket (and remember, it's the shitty full length leather jacket that's the problem, not the fact that it's not a trenchcoat) :icon_rolleyes:

Didn't Murphy say that it was going to be a miniseries back when he first posted those art previews? That's certainly what I've been expecting since then, so he must have said something along those lines.

Trade-waiting for me, too, but I'll almost certainly be buying it. What little I've seen of Si Spencer's work has done little-to-nothing for me, but that's countered by the fact that Murphy's art is really, really, really good. Even with that shit trenchcoat, about which Ade is correct.

Didn't Murphy say that it was going to be a miniseries back when he first posted those art previews? That's certainly what I've been expecting since then, so he must have said something along those lines.

My recollection was that it was part of the ongoing and was scheduled for last September then dropped at short notice when Milligan came onto the book.

I am glad he got to do Joe The Barbarian instead (and am very pleased he was not given that Neil Young book).

http://www.newsarama.com/comics//120819-Sean-Murphy.html

However, revisionist history says otherwise

http://seangordonmurphy.deviantart.com/

http://seangordonmurphy.deviantart.com/#/d2u1tq2

And for the attention of Sean Murphy, should he be checking what the "haters" are saying:

not liking a "deliberately provocative" art choice is not what I call hating.

This is one of the best cover drawings we've seen for many an issue.

And this is still a superb bit of London illustration (with a pointy nose)

And for the attention of Sean Murphy, should he be checking what the "haters" are saying:

not liking a "deliberately provocative" art choice is not what I call hating.

Pretty much this, although I quite like his thinking about the pink tie, and don't care even a teeny, tiny bit about the pointy nose. As always at times like this, I wonder where this other congregation of Hellblazer fans hide themselves, because his characterisation of "fan response" doesn't really have anything to do with what people here were actually saying after his first issues were published, a few isolated instances of quickly-shouted-down idiocy excluded.

As you say - and while I'm not a fan, I hate it less than you - the problem with the leather jacket isn't that it's a divergence from the usual "uniform" (indeed, the fact that Constantine can be accurately described as having a "uniform" these days bugs me as much as it apparently did Murphy), it's just that it doesn't look particularly good. It didn't help that his previous issues were miscoloured, so the "new" coat just looked like a crappily-rendered version of the usual one. I'd definitely have preferred a shorter-cut leather jacket, because honestly, I think the trenchcoat look has been horrifically over-used for years, and it'd have been nice to see the character given a different silhouette for a change.

Still, Murphy's a terrific artist (haven't read Joe The Barbarian yet, but the team behind it means that I'll be getting the trade sight-unseen), and while the jacket looks a bit silly, I don't think it's significantly out-of-character for Constantine to wear something that makes him look like a bit of a twat.

Joe the Barbarian has been throughly underwhelming.

A series that has enough ideas to carry three-issues stretched out to however many issues. And, yes, this is a Morrison series, and yet it's still short on concepts.

I understand the concept is an epic quest, so it needs to be stretched out...but this is probably why I never took to reading fantasy series.

As far as solicitations, I'm more interested in the mini-series than the ongoing. Not a fan of what I've seen of Spencer's work, but at least it sounds like an interesting Hellblazer plot. I don't mind the "same old", as long as it's telling a good supernatural horror story.