St. Apathy

Batman: Arkham City

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this game even more than I'm looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises.

The former, really. I got far more hours of gleeful entertainment out of Arkham Asylum than The Dark Knight, after all, and that's no criticism of the latter.

Still, Mark Hamill's Joker was among the finest portrayals of said clown. In fact, he will always be my personal favorite Joker in addition to the late Ledger's ownership of the role. Hamill has a huge catalog of his awesome performances and Ledger just has the one turn in which he claimed full ownership of the Joker, free and clear, I cannot pick a favorite. Ledger transcended the role, and rendered insignificant most of Hollywood's other roles and the actors muddling through them in the process. But Hamill's insanity in the role had its own appealing dynamic. I watched Batman the Animated Series for almost two years before I gave a look at the end credits and saw "Joker...Mark Hamill" and was sufficiently blown away by the new revelation. I didn't care for the new Joker's portrayal in Under the Red Hood, even though I really enjoyed that animated feature.

You are under close surveillance

:)

Sadly I could never play a game that the pov sweeps about so much. Duke Nukem makes me sea sick in about 2 minutes of game play.

It would seem Detective Mode has been changed to mostly affect objects of interest. That's a good thing, too. If I had one criticism against AA, it is that I relied on DM so much I didn't get to enjoy the visuals as much as I'd liked.

Is it greedy that I'm wondering if there'll be a 3rd installment and that I wonder if Hamill would be willing to reprise his role?

I've seen worse.

Badum.

Seriously, though, I thought Batman Inc. was heavy on the fan service.

Not too heavily, surely?. Is such a thing even possible?.

When she kissed that one goon, I had the sudden thought that you could have it make him into a sort of groupy, standing out of the melee, admiring her kicking bad guy bottom.

A bit more about Catwoman as a playable character.

'Catwoman is a "genuine, fully-featured playable character" with her own combat system, gadgets, and way of moving through the environment -- she doesn't have a cape to glide, so instead she's got parkour-style moves, according to GameSpot learned. She even has her own version of detective mode that helps her identify things to steal.'

You sound like her mum.

(I kid, I agree totally with you, she looks like she's been ripped straight from those oh-so-suggestive covers by Adam Hughes)

Indeed, only without the sense of humour which usually - not always, but usually - makes Hughes' work bearable.

Still looking forward to the game enormously, but the amount of gratuitous T&A fanservice in the first game irritated me, and it doesn't look like they'll be toning that down for the sequel.

I wouldn't generally go for Hughes as a sequential artist either - he used to have the knack back in the JLI days, but I've not been impressed by what little I've seen of his interior art recently - but his covers are often excellent. Heavy on the suggestive postures and plunging necklines, obviously, but there's usually enough humour to his work to get away with it. Even the ones which are pure T&A tend to at least display a strong enough grasp of anatomy to suggest that he may have not only seen a few real-life women, but taken the time to figure out how they fit together and how gravity affects them, too. That alone places him leagues ahead of some of the other well-known fanservice artists like Land, Horn and Benes.

Plus, of course, he'll always have a place in my good books for this absolutely wonderful Catwoman cover:

catwoman57.jpg