St. Apathy

Batman: Arkham City

Hughes does some great stuff with his fan-commissioned sketches, especially when he's paid to tone himself down. If only DC editors would ask the same of him. But modesty doesn't sell as well.

And I still feel his interiors are marginally more bearable than those of other painterly artists like Alex Ross :

batgirlandsupergirlfullsizebyadamhughes-d2zfyma.jpeg

Still, he's nowhere near as good as, say, Esad Ribić.

I can't think of too many artists in comics who I dislike more than Alex Ross, so you'll get no argument from me on that score!

Hughes' interiors aren't bad, I just don't think that sequential art plays to his strengths in the way covers do. He's got a really good eye for design, even when the image itself is pretty generic.

I've liked a lot of his commissions, too - Malin loves some of them, so I've seen more of his sketches than I have for a lot of other artists.

He's got a really good eye for design, even when the image itself is pretty generic.

Yeah, his designwork is great, but, alas, unlike J.H. Williams, he can't quite get rid of the whole static pose impression.

But anyway, if I can tangentially get back on-topic, after Arkham City, there are rumors we're looking at a videogame adaptation of Hush. Which would be much better than it getting a DC Animated treatment.

Hush done well would make a terrific video game, for most of the same reasons it makes a fairly lousy comic. The narrative set-up - which is basically a tenuous excuse for a series of setpiece encounters with all the big name Bat-villains - would be a piece of piss to adapt into a game format, and would neatly sidestep most of the storytelling problems a lot of action games tend to suffer from.

Any word on who might be doing it? Same team as Arkham Asylum/City, or someone else?

So far no other info has leaked other than the registered domain names, but this may be an attempt to reuse the Arkham City engine shortly after the original game, and maybe some of the mechanics/character designs.

And yeah, my thoughts exactly, regarding the original storyline being much like a videogame - go beat Harley, then advance to the Joker level, make sure you avoid Superman so you can defeat the Poison Ivy boss... I think they may need to tweak with the ending/Jason Todd reveal a bit, because it might seem a little out of the blue/incoherent, if it isn't set up properly (or changed significantly). Since Jason's alive again, juts make it him instead of Clayface, and have a variation of the climax of A Death in the Family as the intro to the game, to set up his return properly, as well as to make Joker seem as a real threat.

Anti-love. Hate. Can't stand anything about the man's work, sorry - it's beautifully rendered, but completely lifeless.

I like some of his work, mostly those picture-books for Supes, Bats, WW, Cpt. Marvel and the JLA, they read better without the speech-bubbles, and in oversized format. Like some of his covers, too, but I do think "proper comics" aren't his strong suit. I've found his work to be a great "gateway comics", mostly for my friends who wen to art school with me.

Will have to see it colored, but it looks fun, vaguely reminiscent of that Robin 3000 Elseworlds.

After all this Batman and Robin I have been reading, I definitely would like to play as Robin (even though I think its supposed to be Tim Drake).

Hope it's not exclusive DLC, I've read conflicting reports.

He's got a really good eye for design, even when the image itself is pretty generic.

Yeah, his designwork is great, but, alas, unlike J.H. Williams, he can't quite get rid of the whole static pose impression.

to be fair, there are few comic book artists working right now who are on par with J.H. Williams III. He really is the whole package.

and Lou, forget about those Batman Beyond and Animated Batman skins, is that second one a Dark knight Returns skin????

I really liked it - I finished the main story fairly quickly, but there's still a phenomenal amount of stuff to do, so I don't feel shortchanged at all (and I haven't even started the "New Game Plus" thing yet). It's not as overwhelmingly impressive as the first game, I'd agree...but that's at least partly because the first game was so good that following it up was always going to be a challenge. One of the reasons Arkham Asylum was so stunning is that it had absolutely no precedent - there'd never really been a Batman game that was even particularly good, let alone one as flat-out superb as AA. This one, on the other hand, had such a huge weight of expectation that, unless it actually turned out to be the greatest video game ever made, it was bound to feel like a bit of a letdown. And that's all it is, really - it doesn't seem especially fair to criticize a game for merely being excellent, just because we were expecting perfection. There are some problems, for sure - a few serious, most extremely minor - but they're more than outweighed by the stuff it gets brilliantly right.

I thought it was great and enjoyed the story and direction they went with this game. It was a lot darker than Asylum. While Asylum felt more like a Batman adventure, this felt more like a serious Batman story. Which is what I liked about it, the one thing I did kind of dislike was the length and a few other minor things. Though I do know that Rocksteady is going to make a third game and that will most likely tie up the loose ends and story line of this game. They are also teaming up with Be-Bop to get those pesky toitels (sorry, had to do it).

I do recall Kevin Conroy mentioning that they're making Episodic content for the game that might pick up some of the hidden stuff in the game. He mentioned that they planned for this game to be an on-going game and then they'll do the third and finale game which should close the door on this storyline.

Didn't realise we had a separate thread for this, was moaning about it in the video game thread.

Finished it over the weekend, thought the [ Spoiler : Mister Freeze ] fight was brilliant, as was the slagging of Lost, otherwise felt like maybe they overstretched themselves some as the story was a mess.

Pretty much what I thought.

I loved Arkham City, the new gadgets, and the grapple boost is awesome.

However I thought it went from one boss to the next too quickly, and the story was pretty choppy, particularly toward the end.

Someone once described GTAIV as a brilliant work of world-building in search of a proper story, and I think the same could be said here.