Sign in to follow this  
slinker

X-Men: First Class

One thing to consider in the whole Darwin debate is the fact that he may have actually survived-- he's become a being of pure energy before (in the comics) in order to survive, eventually growing a new physical form.

And maybe that's why he sacrificed himself: because he knew he would ultimately survive it.

Do they give out no-prizes for untangling the errors of the X-men movies?

On the other hand (mild spoilers), I want this scene on the future DVD:

That scene got exceptionally silly at one point. I don’t know if I’m even allowed to tell you what originally happened. But it got pretty fuckin’ kinky. I’m not joking. There was a little bit of cross-dressing going on.

- James McAvoy, on filming the scene in the strip club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wly1CHI86sA&feature=player_embedded

I want the outtake where they give in to their obvious attraction and just kiss already!

Indeed. There's some animal magnetism at work there.

I really enjoyed the film, one of the few superhero movies this summer that didn't force me to go across half the country to find a non-3D cinema to watch it in. I agree with several folks that the ending doesn't quite live up to the fantastic beginning (except for the fact Magneto wore his AWESOME purple outfit). Fassbender, McAvoy and Kevin Bacon were fantastic, I thought. the climax is way too messy though not without some nice moments (I liked the callback to Erik's inability to make the coin move), but I would have preferred just an entire movie of Fassbender hunting down superpowered nazis and killing them in all sorts of metal-involving ways.

some negatives:

-Xavier holding his hand to his head every bloody time he used his telepathy was very annoying.

-most of the bit players were written and acted very broadly. Jennifer Lawrence was quite awful here, shows you how much you need a good script (Winter's Bone).

-FX work was all over the place, with some very good (all the early Magneto stuff), and other parts very bad indeed (the whole Cuban Missile Crisis bit, really)

-the killing off of Darwin was lame and lazy. I agree with the comments made about this before but would like to add that he was one of the few X-Men who actually seemed to have any presence, and the death just seems to have been written as a "oh, we need a death here to up the ante" scene. callous and dumb.

- too many injokes about Xavier's hair, future developments, etc. that said, I liked seeing both Wolverine (it made me laugh) and Storm (in the Cerebro scene). Maybe that new Wolverine movie should be set in the sixties in Japan, give it that Female Convict Scorpion/Streetfighter vibe.

- too neatly tied up at the end: basically everybody is in the place (Magneto the villain, Charles the cripple: he only has to lose his hair) as they were at the start of the first X-Men flick. which means no progress beyond a lot of dead/missing mutants in 30+ years. Just like the comics!

some positive points:

- MAGNETO. also, his theme music was awesome. Fassbender really is just a terrific actor. I read somewhere that Sony wants him as the new Bond after Daniel Craig hangs up his hat. could definitely see that.

- Beast. I really liked his FX/make-up. amazed to find out he's the kid from About A Boy though. feeling old.

- the atmosphere of the flick is great, and I love most of the dialogue.

- while I have a lot of complaints about the screenwriting, the first half really is very good.

I would have preferred just an entire movie of Fassbender hunting down superpowered nazis and killing them in all sorts of metal-involving ways.

This.

That's how it started out, actually. There were going to be two movies, one titled X-Men Origins: Magneto about Magneto hunting down Nazis and coming into contact with Xaviet, while the other would've been a sequel to that about the first days of Xaviet academy involving the movie series first X-Men; Beast, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm... etc.

I agree with Greg really. What I got from their interaction wasn't at all, not the least sexual. What I got strongly, was one was a theorist, the other, practical. Of course their make-up yearned towards one another strongly, how else could it be. What architect doesn't identify with the builder, and what builder, seeing the plans soar up and become useful, doesn't identify with the architect?.

Magneto knew evil, lived through its untrammelled expression, repudiated it with his every breath, with his blood, it is the single most important part of himself I think, and obviously does not think of himself as evil. How would it be evil to kill each and every active member of the SS that you could get your hands on?. To some men, it would be evil to do otherwise.

( He isn't at all evil initially, actually, he is at least as moral as Professer X, in his way. As an intelligent man, of course Eric has read and knows all the just arguments Charles knows, will have faced them and sweated over them and made his choices. I have to admit I do see him as evil eventually in the movie, simply because he orders killing of people on the mere suspicion that the government they work for is setting up to run "Camps". If he had just waited till that government had overtly acted, bam, everything he did was perfectly moral, the unassailable duty of any right thinking man or woman. )

Professor X has obviously just as powerful a moral sense, I guess living able to read minds as a child, he knew just as much about evil, knows the great extent of his power makes his every choice dangerous ( How easy to "do something" about the BNP, or the KKK, for him, and the temptation, because really, it would be for their own good to make the members of various racist organisations "think about" their bigotry and choose another path, wouldn't it?. Clearly, as a young man, he chose not to because it would be morally wrong, I bet a detailed "study" of the characters childhood would be one long explication of restraint in the name of "morality" ) but then, reading peoples thoughts must on occasion be a sure fire way of making one question the wisdom, the correctness, of a little pre-emptive killing, so obviously he feels the attraction to Erics way.

Charles wants Eric morally, not sexually. And though Eric made, and justified to himself his choices long before Charles will have made his own,( in many ways he is a man while Charles is still a youth ) we are social animals, so Eric wants Charles' moral approval.

But then, to the masses of today, everything is "Sexy" and nuance and thoughtfulness is anathama, so we get gay Charles and Eric. Which I don't really mind either, the camera does love the lads morethan somewhat to be honest, but doesn't it sell the motivations of a couple of Supermen short, to think their nuts are their guiding light like the rest of us?.

I agree with most of that, Avaunt, but the one redaing doesn't preclude the other. And it's worth to bear in mind that most of the comments about this are made tongue firmly in (butt-)cheek.

I'm all for multiple understandings of a text! It's one of the things I'm trying to beat into my students this semester, but I don't know if they're getting it yet.

You got students, and a semester. Yay!.

:)

( getting to beat them too, man, you got the best job Jessie. )

You got students, and a semester. Yay!.

Yes, 'yay,' for a given value of yay. I also have an office, which I only have to share with two other people! It's a windowless cell in the basement, granted, but an office nonetheless.

I'm genuinely proud to say that I don't get that. I presume it's one of those "youth culture" references of which I've been told the kids today are so fond.