TimC

More old shit resurrected

VERTIGO RESURRECTED: HELLBLAZER #1

Written by GARTH ENNIS & JASON AARON

Art by STEVE DILLON and SEAN MUPRHY

Cover by GLENN FABRY

Four of the industry’s biggest stars take on John Constantine in two hard-to-find 2-part stories! First up reprints HELLBLAZER #57 and #58 – the long out-of-print tale from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s (PREACHER) character-defining as Constantine and Chas confront some very macabre tests on human cadavers. Next is a story from HELLBLAZER #245 and #246 by new superstars Jason Aaron (SCALPED) and Sean Murphy (JOE THE BARBARIAN) following a doomed documentary crew exploring the mystery behind what happened to Mucous Membrane – Constantine’s former punk band.

On sale DECEMBER 15 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US MATURE READERS

I've got to say - those are two crappy stories.

Seconded.

Bloody hell, could they not squeeze in the Denise Mina single issue story and New Tricks as well?

Jeezus. Well, at least that should sort out any potential "which is the worst Hellblazer trade?" debates for the rest of time.

That might be the worst thing Aaron ever wrote. I love most of his stuff, but not that one.

Jeezus. Well, at least that should sort out any potential "which is the worst Hellblazer trade?" debates for the rest of time.

+1.

But it'll muddy the "what's the most WTF Hellblazer editorial decision?" debate.

50% of the Sean Murphy mini-series cover is quite beautiful.

I shall probably not be purchasing that miniseries until "Vertigo Resurrected 2020".

I have no interest in "Vertigo You Did Not Need To See Ever Again But By "HOT" Creatives". Whatsoever.

Did they not bother collecting that story in one of the trades? I thought they'd filled in all the gaps between Dangerous Habits and Damnation's Flame.

Nope, they left those issues out of the Bloodlines trade.

Ah, shame. As you say, there's some good Kit/John stuff there. And I like the quiet time with John and Chas. But it's a bit thin to build a trade (or collected issue or whatever) on.

Confessions of Irish Rebel I'll grant you. The other was dreadful (and as Ade's taking the piss out of me, possibly is collected anyway). Sorry.

It was better than Royal Blood, but then so's leprosy from most accounts.

as a pogues and punk rock fan, I like it, i can sort of relate to that stuff and not random other musical refrences, not saying there are just I think they are cool. but it is annoying to realize they don't seem to go beyond Ennis run. However Aaron's two parter, had punk bans all on the abandonded building, stiff little fingers, pistols, damned and a bunch of others.

And it was shit, of course. Might the two facts be somehow connected?

I never understood the hatred for "The Pub Where I Was Born" either. I thought it worked well enough.

Nothing spectacular, but not as bad as all that. Not as bad as the stories in this collection.

Far better than "Royal Blood", oh yes. If I'm basing my like on Pub as opposed to my hatred for "Royal Blood" though, I'm not sure.

Was the Darko Macan story ever collected? Because, that deserves to be collected and wouldn't, you know, make people hate HB if they picked up this Trade randomly to sample a HB story...

I've not read it for a long time, but I liked 'Royal Blood' - one of the highlights of Ennis' early run. 'The Pub where I was Born' was an abomination, though - the basic idea was OK, but the execution was pissawful, and the fill-in art in the second part was possibly the absolute worst in the long history of the book. Yeah, including late Frusin.

And a rather happier revival in this 'Vertigo Resurrected' necrothon -

VERTIGO RESURRECTED: HELLBLAZER – BAD BLOOD #1

Written by JAMIE DELANO

Art by PHILIP BOND and WARREN PLEECE

Cover by SEAN PHILLIPS

In this reprint of the four-issue BAD BLOOD miniseries, it’s the year 2025. The British monarchy is on its last legs, and John Constantine is still alive and kicking, though he has forsaken the world of magic. But that’s all about to change when John’s friend Dolly finds herself held captive on a reality TV show about how she’s the last surviving heir to the throne.

Various pro- and anti-royalist forces plot out the show’s cliffhanger ending with Dolly’s life hanging in the balance. But Constantine is in for an even bigger surprise when he finds out that Dolly is pregnant with his child, and it’s up to the old mage to decide the course of England’s future – and whether to crown his own offspring.

On sale APRIL 6 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US • MATURE READERS

Not Hellblazerish at all, but I think they've got a collection of Finals in the pipeline from the ressurected imprint as well. That's definitely a good thing.

I liked Bad Blood. It always seemed like an Elseworlds HB story though. I like Bond's artwork--even though everyone sort of looks short & squatty.

I'm down for Bad Blood & Finals,glad that stuffs getting collected.

The Jason Aaron/Sean Murphy inclusion in this line,is such a shallow/transparent grab for the cash that it's almost funny.Seriously,resurrected?That shit's like two years old!Overall though,I believe this Resurrected line as well as the new printings for DC/Vertigo's new Hellblazer trades(the ones that will start with that already seen Jim Lee Cover)will lead to most all of the material being collected in one style or another,Jenkins,Macan,rest of Delano,all of it.

Then I think,DC's gonna chase the Harry Potter/Twilight crowd and publish the further adventures of John,Gemma,whomever as OGN's only.I think the sales of the Dark Entries,All His Engines & Pandemonium OGN's has led them to believe that either A:Sales justify the jump to this Newer format or B:Sales on the monthly are low enough and the potential to introduce newer readers through a full scale reissue of the series is worth the risk.

DC has also announced hardcover collections of:Flex Mentallo & Legion Lost.Can't wait for that stuff too.

And if any issues deserved to remain dead, it's those lousy Jason Aaron ones (gorgeous Sean Murphy art notwithstanding).