virginiatiger

Shade is back

Not being familiar with shade, I have no basis for comparison regarding this current story arc. However I liked it overall, I mean I don't think its the best, but I have enjoyed the arc, but not sure about the whole Epiphany thing.

Trav

They're reprinting the Shade, The Changing Man series in trades, and I strongly suggest checking them out. The metaphorical stuff is a bit on-the-nose at the start, but by about trade three they should be getting onto the really crazy, entertaining shit.

From what I can tell, the trades released thus far are:

1- American Scream

2- Edge of Vision

3- Scream Time

Shade's fixation with Epiphany rings pretty true, to be honest: he did have a sort of creepy Joss Whedon fixation with vulnerable damaged girls...

I read some of the old Shade stories, but in his recent appearance in HB, he just seemed like an uninteresting loon. It really didn't give me any interest in picking up the book.

so is it philosophical bent?

To a degree, anyway, yes.

To be honest my memories are a bit fuzzy but it was proper old-school Vertigo stuff, the first 50 or so issues are well worth a read but it went off the rails something rotten after that.

To be honest my memories are a bit fuzzy but it was proper old-school Vertigo stuff, the first 50 or so issues are well worth a read but it went off the rails something rotten after that.

I recently reread the whole thing, and the post-50 issues were much better than I recalled (and did feature some lovely Richard Case art). Conversely, many fondly-remembered stories from earlier in the run just weren't all that. Possibly my tastes changed in the intervening 15-20 years.

I recall the early issues being solid, then the popular, wild political craziness, then a long stretch of diminishing returns.

The final arc, around the time it was cancelled, was more enjoyable than most of the series.

so is it philosophical bent?

To a degree, anyway, yes.

Seems interesting certainly and I'll try to pick it up when I can, the comic shops at school just plain suck.

There's certainly some philosophical aspects in many parts of the series, especially between issues #20-50 (about that).

The "Torture Garden" and "Seasons in Hell" story-arcs spring to mind.

As far as comparing Shade in HB with the Shade series, yeah, the Shade series was a really good Vertigo title, and I felt the current usage of Shade doesn't do the original justice.

But, this is also Milligan returning to the character he put his stamp on. He's moving in a different direction, and I don't mind that he's changed Shade in the direction Red stated. Since the character isn't holding his own series, and I feel Milligan said everything he had to say with the character already anyway, it doesn't matter.

Tim-Yeah, I never found the post-50 issues as bad as many seemed to. I thought the book had a great ending.

There were some low spots post-50, like "Nasty Infections", which was just unnecessary.

But, the first few issues of "serious political commentary about America" were just as horrid as anything post-50.

Rumours from Bleeding Cool -

Postulation: Shade, The Changing Man returns in 2011. Writer: James Robinson. Interior Art: Jill Thompson. Covers: Chris Bachalo.

James Robinson? Ah well...

That's over-reading the information.

Robinson is already heavily associated with the golden age villain "The Shade". I'd say that it looks more like Jill Thompson got the wrong end of the stick.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't see them reviving STCM and giving it to anyone other than Milligan (well, unless Ditko wants to revive his original series, but what's the chance of that happening?).

Jill Thompson didn't realize what she signed up to work on?

That's going to be some messed up art.

I can't say it's over-reading, as the text explicitly reads Shade The Changing Man.

It's more like reading comprehension skills. heh

So, there are plans for a The Shade series? Maybe?

There's always a possibility it could be Shade the Changing Man.

DC said they were bringing all of the Vertigo DCU properties back into the DC Universe proper.

So, there could be new beginnings for many of these characters.

Maybe they wanted to start fresh on Shade and give another writer a chance. Or, maybe Milligan has no interest in the character anymore and editorial forced this direction on Hellblazer to sell Trades.

Ok Christian, what I should have said was; "That's reading too much into the information."

The text might well say Shade The Changing Man but it's far from a huge leap of logic to suggest that Thompson got the wrong end of the stick about a project that is still very much in the discussion stages.

As a Vertigo alum and someone who hasn't done a great deal of superhero work, it's possible that when told that she'd be working on a Shade book she might assume that it was STCM as opposed to a fairly obscure Golden Age villain.

Maybe.

On the other hand, Robinson has done Vertigo stuff before, even if it was just that godawful Witchcraft series. Still, a Thompson drawn Shade would be worth a look whoever's writing it.

A bit pointless fretting until something gets announced or scheduled, anyway.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the Extra Starman issue that came out a few months ago, everything Robinson's written lately has been pretty poor.

That's very true.

Robinson was always hit and miss though.

His work like Starman and Golden Age was just ahead of the pack.

Who knows? While it doesn't seem like a natural fit for Robison's talent, maybe he'd connect with Shade.

That's very true.

Robinson was always hit and miss though.

His work like Starman and Golden Age was just ahead of the pack.

Who knows? While it doesn't seem like a natural fit for Robison's talent, maybe he'd connect with Shade.

It certainly seems worth a shot,those three fit the tone the book needs,especially if Bachalo is painting the covers,I still love his covers when he paints them.I think Mr. Tom is correct however,I believe Ms.Thompson made an incorrect assumption.

My first choice for a dream team would Be Grant Morrison/Duncan Fregrado/painted Bachalo,but the Robinson/Thompson/Bachalo lineup could be very interesting.

Any one have word on any additional STCM trades,or Sandman Mystery Theatre for that matter?

I checked on Wikipedia, and it's now listed as a "Starman related character The Shade" series that Robinson is working on for 2011.

They've collected SMT past issue #50 by now, I know.

The series ran for 70 issues, but the series took a strong nose-dive towards the end (after Wagner left), in my view.

They haven't done too bad with SMT Trades.

Looking at Amazon, the last one came out in April 2010, so maybe they'll release another one in 2011?

Eh, same with Shade maybe.

Last Trade was in July 2010.

Vertigo might be waiting to see how sales look on the Hellblazer Shade issues to see if there might be an audience waiting. I don't know.

Or possibly they'll wait until the Shade-related Hellblazer trade is out and hope to piggyback on that.