Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Cheaper comics!......well sort of.

It looks like Marvel and DC are getting it! They have realized that having comics priced @ $3.99 is just too much for a standard comic. So, starting next year they are BOTH dropping the $3.99 price tag back down to $2.99

Marvel will drop the price on NEW titles

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28740

DC will drop the price across the board

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28738

Wow! I'm shocked!

It is way too much, and it looks like a message was sent. From here, where does it go? $4.99 a book?

The industry would eat itself, as TPBs would be the only way fans could continue keeping up with their collections.

I give DC credit. I haven't found their pricing bad at all. They mostly kept the $2.99 line, so it's not such a big deal. Unfortunarely, most of the books I read are from Marvel, who seemed to want to run all $3.99 with some Marvel books even reaching a price tag of $4.99 if they were "special issues" I'd noticed.

That's good news.

Lower price, but fewer story pages. People are going to have to write tighter if they're going to deliver a satisfying read in just 20 pages. I suspect it'll go the other way, and two-parters are going to be the shortest story units. That will make me more inclined to wait for trades for stuff that I want.

Yeah, I wonder how much cutting the 2 pages will save. The 2 pages actually equal one page front and back: 1 sheet of 11x17 paper stock, 4 colors of ink in most cases. ANybody have an idea on what that costs in a large print run?

Comic creators used to have to deal with turning in a 14-17 page story that was usually self-contained.

Sub-plots were more important. It helped the stories and was a way to draw out plots without spending four months of people doing nothing to build up the main plot. By the time the sub-plots matured, the reader's appetite was whetted for the reveal, but hadn't become bored by writers trying to pad out the reveal over multiple months.

People will just have to figure out how to tell a compelling story written for a comic book, rather than trying to write a graphic novel with every story.

If people learn to take a page from people like Gerber, Englehart, or Claremont (when he was good) it'll be good for everyone.

I'm getting sick of series where every comic is part one of a five part story-arc. About 85-90% of these stories are padded. Very little happens in each chapter and when you get to chapter four, you wish it'd just end, and you wonder why a creator took five months to get a point that was obvious in chapter one.

It's especially glaring in mainstream superhero titles. We don't need over 100 pages to get to the big fight scene.

Heartening news from Mr Morrison re Batman Inc, at least -

It's going to be even more stripped back and pulpy and fast-moving. So the first one's only two. It's really tight. It's like reading about six issues in two. I'm very pleased with the way we've been able to cut this. Yanick's work is just so great. His work is so visually dense and so detailed that you can do a lot of tricks with it, that you couldn't do with some other artists.

So yeah, we want to do very short, punchy stories in it. We may do some that are only one issue, and some that are three issues. And that will be the first year of the book. I call it the first season. It will be 12 issues of one- or two-part stories.