JasonT

City of Demons: Hellblazer mini for October 2010

oh, this is out? great, I love me some Sean Murphy art. I really like his style (and like I said before, I don't mind the big nose. It reminds me a bit of more cartoony stuff like Sfar or Blain's stuff, and that is never a bad thing). I only just saw this thread, and man, that editorial bullshit is just... gah. The way they are being all prissy about "continuity" seems to me to be just another bit of evidence that very soon indeed, we'll get a split in Vertigo land: all the non-creator owned stuff going back to DCU (like they are already slowly doing with Sandman and Swamp Thing) and the creator owned series staying in a much slimmed down Vertigo imprint. It fits with the DC's jettisoning of all the other imprints.

That Hicks lift was a bit too blatant, and there was some clunky dialogue throughout, but on the whole a decent first issue. I was in for the duration anyway, but it's nice to see that it won't just be for the art.

Would I sound a bad hat if I said I was just going to wait for the bind up of this one?

One niggling point - why does that pack of fags on the first page have a 'Surgeon General's Warning' on it? Bad enough that the warning itself doesn't match the captions (rather undermining the whole borrowed joke), but why's there a Yank warning on a pack of Silk Cut with a UK crest?

For the same reason a man with at least one serviceable arm is disabled enough to be given a bed bath by a nurse with a too short split(!)-skirt - bad research (even allowing for the chance of a reason for this in forthcoming issues).

But that is my only quibble.

People carping on the Hicks riff are being rather churlish, it'd have been quite awkward if JC had said "As Bill Hicks said ..." and it a fairly innocuous tribute.

The Sean Murphy art would certainly grace the regular series, and there is enough in here to suggest that Si Spencer did a metaphorical writerly version of one of those vomits that South Americans do to purge himself of some silliness in that one that wasn't Phonogram.

Both writer and artist impressed me more than recent issues of the so-called "regular" monthly.

For the same reason a man with at least one serviceable arm is disabled enough to be given a bed bath by a nurse with a too short split(!)-skirt - bad research (even allowing for the chance of a reason for this in forthcoming issues).

But that is my only quibble.

People carping on the Hicks riff are being rather churlish, it'd have been quite awkward if JC had said "As Bill Hicks said ..." and it a fairly innocuous tribute.

The Sean Murphy art would certainly grace the regular series, and there is enough in here to suggest that Si Spencer did a metaphorical writerly version of one of those vomits that South Americans do to purge himself of some silliness in that one that wasn't Phonogram.

Both writer and artist impressed me more than recent issues of the so-called "regular" monthly.

I agree. the art is lovely, and I really, really like cartoony nosed-Constantine. Wouldn't be surprised if Sean Murphy counts Elektra Assassin as one of his major artistic influences.

There's some problems with the dialogue, I found, but overall, this is much more like the HB stories I want to read. ... Compared to the monthly title, this is more like an 8 or 9.

What Christian said.

At first I thought the first four pages were deal-breakingly awful: a collection of John Constantine fan fiction clichés connected by bullshit dialogue. But then the story took a sharp turn, and bugger me if the events of those first four pages didn't turn out to be significant. Issue 1 has me hooked based on its plot alone.

The machinations of the two mystery figures at the end have the potential to suck; but if the rest of the series keeps up the standard of the first issue, etc etc.

Does Vertigo employ anyone from Britain who might be able to quickly run an eye over the dialogue before comics go to press? :icon_rolleyes:

There's some problems with the dialogue, I found, but overall, this is much more like the HB stories I want to read. ... Compared to the monthly title, this is more like an 8 or 9.

What Christian said.

At first I thought the first four pages were deal-breakingly awful: a collection of John Constantine fan fiction clichés connected by bullshit dialogue. But then the story took a sharp turn, and bugger me if the events of those first four pages didn't turn out to be significant. Issue 1 has me hooked based on its plot alone.

The machinations of the two mystery figures at the end have the potential to suck; but if the rest of the series keeps up the standard of the first issue, etc etc.

Does Vertigo employ anyone from Britain who might be able to quickly run an eye over the dialogue before comics go to press? :icon_rolleyes:

ummm...Aren't both the writer and artist British?

I'd hope that British citizens might have a better grasp of English dialogue than American editors...

But, I;m hoping too much?

Or, are you just saying it was sloppy writing and there are no editors who could competently figure out why it was in need of editing?

ummm...Aren't both the writer and artist British?

Yes, and I factored that into my question. The eye-rolling icon hopefully gives a clue as to its intended tone. :wink:

Sean Murphy is from New England not the proper one.

The cigaretter warning may be a lettering issue. (incidentally I loved the sound effect "drop" :-) )

Ditto.

Ouch! You're right. Much to my embarrassment, I had him mixed up with Jock.

Ditto.

Ouch! You're right. Much to my embarrassment, I had him mixed up with Jock.

No, Jock's Irish.

I really liked this first issue. The art's great and the story has promise. A solid 8 from me. Also, I don't get why you guys are upset over the Hicks reference - isn't this more in the nature of homage/internal joke? The only ones who will notice that it's a Hicks lift are the ones who know Hicks' works, and the writer knows that they know this, so it's more of a "see what I did there?" thing, I think. Also, it gives people the chance to show off their popular culture skillz by pointing out the quote.

I really liked this first issue. The art's great and the story has promise. A solid 8 from me. Also, I don't get why you guys are upset over the Hicks reference - isn't this more in the nature of homage/internal joke? The only ones who will notice that it's a Hicks lift are the ones who know Hicks' works, and the writer knows that they know this, so it's more of a "see what I did there?" thing, I think. Also, it gives people the chance to show off their popular culture skillz by pointing out the quote.

Depends. I didn't know it was a Hicks gag until it was pointed out; now I know, the gag reads like an uncredited theft to me.

It's a question of interpretation. Maybe the script specified indicators (quotation marks? Italics?) that the letterer ignored.

If I recall correctly, someone around here figured out - using the date shown on a newspaper page seen in All His Engines - that it would take a fairly extraordinary set of mental gymnastics to neatly fit it in alongside the then-current Mike Carey run on the ongoing title. That, and John's father with his Magic Re-appearing Arm, are the only reasons I can think of, and neither is remotely significant enough to warrant an "out-of-continuity" tag.

It was, inevitably, me. Not even the newspaper, but the caption box on the first modern-day page that places the story in 'November 2004'. It seemed like an odd choice. Why not just say 'Now' and have it exist in some nebulous present?

Um, anyway. I finally picked this up yesterday so I'll give it a read at some point today.

And it turns out that 'some point today' is just now. Hey! That was great! BoM:LDW left me a bit flat, Vinyl Underground was crap and Spencer's connection with Torchwood made me suspicious, but that was a really solid first issue. Great characterisation and dialogue (despite the Hicks pilfering), liked that John was looking for a demon that just wasn't there and am looking forward to seeing where the demon blood plot goes.

Also: more Sean Murphy art please, mister editor. I don't care if John's wearing a tutu. Get it in the main comic!

I don't care if John's wearing a tutu.

I do. In the sense that that's something I'd love to see.

Christ's sake, mate: I'm sure we both own worse jackets than that...

:hattip:

Hellrazor: Constantine cuts himself shaving his legs...

Or just Hellblazer, John Constantine wears a hellishly unpleasant jacket

I got it, LS.

Christ's sake, mate: I'm sure we both own worse jackets than that...

I don't. I'm very discerning when it comes to jackets.

It's not an awful jacket, by any means, though. Are you upset because you own a jacket like that, Dog? :smile: