Sign in to follow this  
James

The Hellblazer wiki

Imagine you were unemployed. Imagine you had no money to go out at the weekend. Imagine you'd already watched all the TV shows you were interested in and played all the games you have. Imagine you had hours and hours ahead of you, stretching away into nothing.

What would you do? Probably something more productive than this.

The Hellblazer Wikia (located at http://hellblazer.wikia.com ) has now been kitted out with templates and categories, and now contains pages for every issue of Hellblazer and most HB-related spin-offs, one-shots and miniseries.

What it doesn't have is much in the way of actual content. And since I've done all the boring shit of putting together the framework and stretching the canvas, all you have to do is get out your paintbrushes and have some fun.

The main page is a bit shit at the minute - to keep out the riff-raff while the interior gets done up a little - so here's a quick jump to the things you can find:

People!

Places!

Objects!

Stories!

So many lists!

Come one, come all, and justify my obsession. Anyone want to have dibs on writing up a particular issue or issues? Or any particular characters? Or just anything at all? Go hog wild!

• Downvote 1

Imagine you were unemployed. Imagine you had no money to go out at the weekend. Imagine you'd already watched all the TV shows you were interested in and played all the games you have. Imagine you had hours and hours ahead of you, stretching away into nothing.

What would you do? Probably something more productive than this.

I dunno, man...I just tend to spend a lot of time riding my bike.

I'll have a look through this evening, and let you know what sort of content I'll be willing/able to fill in.

Oh, and if you need them, here are the templates:

Issues, for individual issues of a series.

Comics, for hub pages dealing with comic series rather than individual issues.

Books, for all OGNS, trades and novels.

Characters, for people good, bad and inbetween.

Locations, for all places real and unreal.

Objects and concepts, for all manner of odd things that Constantine happens across, whether physical or theoretical.

And I should probably do one for writers and artists but I haven't got around to it yet.

I dunno, man...I just tend to spend a lot of time riding my bike.

I'll have a look through this evening, and let you know what sort of content I'll be willing/able to fill in.

Well at least it's healthy.

Obviously there's no obligation to do anything, and I know this looks a bit full on. But any and all contributions are appreciated.

Oh, by the way the new Wikia style is a piece of shit, so log in and change the preferences to Monaco.

How's the wiki going, James?

Ever got any mileage out of those Dangerous Habits write-ups?

James, could you fix the link to the wiki in your first post? The parenthesis wound up in the url and I can't fix it on my phone so it gives me an error. thx.

So John is 58? I thought he was still just over 50. I said it before, but I love the timeline the most. Good job on that, james.

James, could you fix the link to the wiki in your first post? The parenthesis wound up in the url and I can't fix it on my phone so it gives me an error. thx.

Sorted

How's the wiki going, James?

Ever got any mileage out of those Dangerous Habits write-ups?

It was going well until I got a job. Currently I have very little free time, but I hope to get back to regularly updating the thing soon.

If anyone fancies joining in, of course, that would be even better. Some kind soul has been coming in and correcting my typos here and there. More of that kind of thing would be great.

Haven't put the DH write-ups on there yet. There's basically a massive gap between HB issue four and the start of the Milligan run. It's on the to-do list, but stuff like filling out the Chas, Cheryl and Tony biographies are more important, I think.

I drop by once in a blue moon and do some minor stuff - just yesterday I added the secret files and origins story to Delano's JC bibliography. I think I forgot my wikia user and pass, though, but I'll try to dig it up.

Have a bit of a hard time actually writing something "official" sounding in English, got too used to conversational, and wouldn't want to mess things up/look like a fool, though I might give some full issues a whirl, maybe Hard Time, when i do a re-read of my translation, or some Delano stuff at the beginning, but I'll definitely mostly copy the style of what you're doing with the Milligan issues.

Hey, it's a wiki. I'll correct your mistakes like you correct mine. :)

Do whatever you want, really - be conversational if you like. I'm not one of those wikipedia pedants.. As little or as much as you like. If, say, adding pics is a pain in the arse then I'll stick them in later. Any and all help appreciated!

I was browsing the wiki just the other day (looking up some info, actually!) and noticed that Chas still didn't have his own page. Great job, James!

Hey, James - I wanted to add a new article to the wiki, but when I tried uploading a picture, it required a login, so I did just that, over my Facebook account, but the style and layout of the wiki changed considerably, and suddenly it didn't seem as idiot friendly as before. Will I have to simply find my on way with it, or is there some setting I can change to switch to the original editing style?

Oh, and I seem to recall there were some templates for different types of articles, so I'd be grateful if you pointed me in their direction.

Once you're logged in, hover your mouse over your name in the top-right corner, then click preferences (alternatively, click on the separate 'My preferences' link in the top-right; I don't know which of the two styles is showing for you). Click the appearance tab and scroll down to 'Site Layouts' - switch to either New Wikia Look or Monobook (the latter of which makes it look more like Wikipedia), depending on what you prefer. New Wikia Look is the one with the less cluttered interface.

You can usually just rip template formats off a relevant page - steal a character one from the John Constantine page, an object one from the Ace of Winchesters page, etc. If there's a specific template you're looking for I can either dig it up for you or make one.

Thanks for the help, BTW!

Don't mention it, I feel guilty for not doing much so far, I'll start off with Macan's bio and work my way from there.

EDIT :

And the style that's annoying me is white with a red Hellblazer logo, I want the blue, slightly more interactive, at least when it comes to making new pages - that one seemed to have a a huge interactive button for the photo upload embedded in the body of the text.

Fucking hell... Wrote an entire detailed entry, accidentally hit "back", and undid most of it. So fucking pissed off - this is the third time it's happened, too, but the first two times it would only cost me a sentence or two.

back to the drawing board...

Well, I finally finished it, though it's a bit shorter and crappier than the first version :

http://hellblazer.wikia.com/wiki/Darko_Macan

I don't know how to insert one of those gray boxes with short infodumps, though, so I'd be much obliged if you'd teach me how to do that - I tried to simply copy one from Andy Diggle's page, but when I enter Edit mode, it's disappears.

Ah, right, yeah. The New Wikia Look's 'rich text editor mode' (turned on or off in user preferences/editing) transforms templates into little green jigsaw images.

If you don't want to turn rich text mode off, go to the Andy Diggle page and right-click on the template, then select copy. Paste it in as the first thing on the Darko Macan page, then hover your mouse over it - it should bring up a preview. Click the 'edit' button at the bottom of the preview window (this jiggles annoyingly in Firefox, but if you're fast enough you can click on it) and it'll open up an editing thing that allows you to put your own text and images in.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you still have any problems.

Oh, and if the 'back' thing is a massive problem then you could do what I do and write it out first in notepad, then edit it with Wiki markup/edit buttons on the site. It's up to you though. Thanks for helping out, BTW. The article's great! Didn't know he brought Danjiel Žeželj to the US - I love that guy.

Cheers, James, I think I got the hang of it, and I've inserted the box into Macan's article.

Yeah, I thought about doing it in notepad, but it always seems like I'll just do something quick and save it, but it always turns out to be a bit more work.

I think Macan and Biuković broke through to the US market, namely Dark Horse and Marvel, and through those connections, and on Macan's recommendations, the others got their first gigs (he's been sortof a comics-guru for Croatia and all the former Yugoslavian countries for a good while now). I think Marvel's been sending Brevoort nearly every year to Croatia's biggest comics gathering to scout for new talent, and one of the better colorists in the business, [ur;l=http://www.matthollingsworth.net/]Matt Hollingsworth[/url] got married to a Croatian lady and is now living in Zagreb, so those bonds are growing stronger every year.

Been incredibly busy with work over the past week (including weekends...) but wanted to thank Rogan for his sterling work on the HB wiki. Thanks, man!