Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer Presents Chaz: The Knowledge

Hopefully the typo's down to the reporter....

Much of what the panel presented had been previously announced at the San Diego Comic-Con last month, with the exception of one notable project. Next year there will be a host of new projects focusing on John Constantine, celebrating the “Hellblazer” title's 20th anniversary. One of these projects will be a miniseries entitled "Hellblazer Presents Chaz: The Knowledge" starring John Constantine's sidekick and cabdriver, Chaz. "The Knowledge" refers both to the over 2,500 routes London cabdrivers must memorize before earning their licenses to drive, as well as a curse based on those routes, a curse Chaz must break. The series will be written by Simon Oliver ("The Exterminators") and drawn by Croatian artist Goran Sudzuka ("Y: The Last Man," "Lady Constantine”), who traveled to London to take thousands of pictures for reference.

Well, the mention of London bodes well. Was Lady Constantine "Hellblazer Presents" or just "Hellblazer: Lady Constantine"?

Both Lady Constantine and Papa Midnite were labeled "Hellblazer Special".

Perhaps they did that at the time so no one confused it with Sandman Presents. Who knows?

I wonder whether it wil be set in Chas' rather grim present or in his more light-hearted past. If it's to be about his gaining the aforesaid "knowledge", I presume the latter.

Is "Sandman Presents" still a going concern? I don't recall having seen any Sandman spin-offs in the last year or so.

Sandman Presents: God Save the Queen by Mike Carey and John Bolton came out this year. It was panned, which was a bit much for a book that's average but not awful.

I wonder whether it wil be set in Chas' rather grim present or in his more light-hearted past. If it's to be about his gaining the aforesaid "knowledge", I presume the latter.

Dunno, there's nothing in the blurb about Chas gaining the Knowledge in this story. I'd hope it's a contemporary Chas.

But generally that sounds as if it could be alright, as long as it's not Chas' role being upgraded to full sidekick status. Haven't read The Exterminators so no idea if this Simon Oliver guy is any good - anyone prepared to say yay or nay on his involvement?

The Exterminators is entertainingly nuts. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing his take on the Hellblazer universe. I just hope he can draft in a Brit to be dialogue coach, because Americans don't have the best history of writing Constantine's voice.

There's an interview with the man here: http://www.comicbooknoise.com/?page_id=152

The Exterminators is entertainingly nuts. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing his take on the Hellblazer universe. I just hope he can draft in a Brit to be dialogue coach, because Americans don't have the best history of writing Constantine's voice.

There's an interview with the man here: http://www.comicbooknoise.com/?page_id=152

hey I don't ever post much.

Glad that you enjoy the Exterminators.....

but I have to step in here and state for the record that I am 100% British.

True I don't live there now but I did for about 22 years.

and by chance my grandfather was a Hackney cab driver for over 50 years.

I don't want to give away too much about the story (partly as I'm still writing it) but yes it's Chas in the here and now.

it's gonna be good......

Simon.

Dunno, there's nothing in the blurb about Chas gaining the Knowledge in this story. I'd hope it's a contemporary Chas.

But generally that sounds as if it could be alright, as long as it's not Chas' role being upgraded to full sidekick status. Haven't read The Exterminators so no idea if this Simon Oliver guy is any good - anyone prepared to say yay or nay on his involvement?

It's all Chas' story, right from the start......

simon

Awww, I was thinking it was going to be this from your wikipedia page

"a new graphic novel for Vertigo, a crime noir set on the South London border."

(I may have changed a word.)

But seriously, I like the London stories very much (when they are okay) and will look forward to that.

Welcome Simon.

We hope you like the place.

Awww, I was thinking it was going to be this from your wikipedia page

"a new graphic novel for Vertigo, a crime noir set on the South London border."

(I may have changed a word.)

But seriously, I like the London stories very much (when they are okay) and will look forward to that.

Welcome Simon.

We hope you like the place.

good it's a lot of London.

I have no idea who started or updated that wikipedia page.

yeah I writing a graphic novel, and the southern border in question is the US one.

simon.

Yikes!

candyman.jpg

Simon Oliver attacks!

Sorry for getting your country of origin wrong there. I stand corrected. Looking forward to reading the comic. While you're here, how's Exterminators looking in terms of sales? Are the floppies and trades selling healthily enough to keep it ticking over?

Yikes!

candyman.jpg

Simon Oliver attacks!

Sorry for getting your country of origin wrong there. I stand corrected. Looking forward to reading the comic. While you're here, how's Exterminators looking in terms of sales? Are the floppies and trades selling healthily enough to keep it ticking over?

no worries, I'm glad the exterminators doesn't read like an Englishman faking American. I've been living in Los Angeles for 11 years now.

pulling out the British passport during a hijacking will buy me about 10 minutes more life than my American one.

yeah the sales of exterminators, like most non-superhero comics now, suck. I'll get close to my intended goal. I don't really keep tabs, and sales have no impact on my writing but yeah I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a tad depressing. not so much for that book, but with other pitches I'm working on.

simon

I'm also doing a run on gen13 starting September.

Hopefully the long-term trade sales will keep the thing afloat. I'm certainly enjoying it, in any case.

By the way, I thought that the US didn't allow dual passports. Am I wrong, or are you in some kind of special situation?

Hopefully the long-term trade sales will keep the thing afloat. I'm certainly enjoying it, in any case.

By the way, I thought that the US didn't allow dual passports. Am I wrong, or are you in some kind of special situation?

yeah they let us have both, I wasn't sure but when I got sworn in and did all the paper work they never brought it up, and when my youngest son got his British last month they actually advise dual citizens to get a US one as well.

Also bear in mind when I did my paperwork maybe 4 years ago, (post 9/11) they didn't have the system on computer, it was all done by hand, they had no way of looking something up. It will be years before they could even keep track of who has what.

kind of odd.

simon

There's a ton of Canadians here with dual citizenship.

I had dual citizenship for a short time....I also had no citizenship for a time (heh). That one's looked down on a bit more. I'd be more worried for Simon Oliver had he no citizenship.

There's a ton of Canadians here with dual citizenship.

Weeell, there is me at least, but I started with the US passport and upgraded :D I thought the US still frowned on keeping the old country's passport when taking the oath to the stars and stripes, but what do I know?

Welcome Simon, I look forward to the story very much, being one who has experienced London's street difficulties first hand. (Was looking for a pub just south of Blackfriars Bridge, asked a bobby who took out his London A-Z, shrugged, wished me luck, whereupon I stumbled across the place less than half a block away.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah....gotta pledge allegiance to America over your old nationality, your own family, children, and your very life....sacrifice first born son on the altar of free-market....speak the special pledge about God living in the American flag....Sell your soul to Bush (or current president)....yadda, yadda, yadda....

Yeah, yeah, yeah....gotta pledge allegiance to America over your old nationality, your own family, children, and your very life....sacrifice first born son on the altar of free-market....speak the special pledge about God living in the American flag....Sell your soul to Bush (or current president)....yadda, yadda, yadda....

Yeah they showed us a video with fighter jets taking off and George Bush II telling us about our responsibility as new Americans.

There were 5,000 people being sworn in, most came from Guatemala, Iran and Vietnam. All countries who've had the CIA actively work in destabilizing their governments at various times in the past 50 years.

Then we had to wave flags.

I had to say it was very surreal.

Simon

So, are you going to be writing a graphic novel for Vertigo about the immigration/Mexican border issue here in the States then?