St. Apathy

The Dark Knight Rises

Yeah the title's just...meh

Maybe: The Caped Crusader. Legend of the Dark Knight. Batman III: The Quest for (fill in blank)

Give Us More $.

I though The Dark Knight sounded meh at the time, but thematically it fit.

Still feels like Warner not trusting the punters to know this is the sequel to The Dark Knight

I'm more disappointed in the lack of Riddler.

It could be that the movie is purportedly about the dark knight's reputation rsing from the ashes again. So, agreed that the thitle might fit. It still makes me snort like a twelve year old.

I don't really mind the Riddler not being part of the movie. I've always found him to be a shit, annoying and ineffectual villain in the comics. He wouldn't fit in these films without a very major retooling.

I am completely OK with this title. It's not great, but it doesn't sound significantly more ridiculous than Batman Begins, to my ears, and that one worked out fine.

Also OK with the lack of Riddler, who I was never really expecting to show up in Nolan's franchise anyway. I'd be happy with a third film which steers clear of the really major Bat-villains, to be honest - there's room for a few lesser ones, but I'm interested in the idea of a Batman movie which breaks away from the "big-name villain turns up, enacts dastardly scheme, Batman defeats him and saves Gotham" template. Plenty of the best Batman stories in the comics have stepped away from that formula, and I suspect that Nolan would do a good job of it.

I'd be happy with a third film which steers clear of the really major Bat-villains, to be honest - there's room for a few lesser ones, but I'm interested in the idea of a Batman movie which breaks away from the "big-name villain turns up, enacts dastardly scheme, Batman defeats him and saves Gotham" template. Plenty of the best Batman stories in the comics have stepped away from that formula, and I suspect that Nolan would do a good job of it.

Agreed. Just not sure how happy the studios would be with that idea. But then again, if anyone has the clout to get them to do this, it would be Nolan.

I think problem with the Riddler is he could very well seem like a Joker surrogate. If Ledger was still with us, that may have been another story.

I'm ok with the title. I'd have preferred something not directly connected with the first two titles, but referring in some way to Batman's redemption in the eyes of Gotham following the end of The Dark Knight.

But overall, it's alright.

The title is fine, it barely matters. I know there is a sort of continual desire for each film to be "bigger" than the last but it would be nice if the focus wasn't that. With Nolan there is always the chance that I might get what I want.

At least they haven't called it "More Batman". That would be a much worse title.

Shame, really. Since Nolan is insisting that this next one is his last, the one where he wraps up his version of the Bat-verse, just imagine that we could have had a trilogy consisting of Batman Begins, Batman Continues, and Batman Concludes.

That would have been amazing.