St. Apathy

The Dark Knight Rises

Cartilage decay. If you keep punishing your body like that for years and suddenly stop, it's a natural consequence.

You should be asking, how he suddenly stopped needing his can or that support brace after being thrown in the pit.

Yeah, in reality, Bane was a cool guy.

[ Spoiler : http://i.imgur.com/SBQZE.jpg ]

So, Kate. The chanting. What do they sing in the pit? According to internets, it is a Maroccan dialect of arabic, and the singing means something like 'he flies fast'. The most approximate thing I managed to get in Google Translate was something like 'tisha bisur-ha', written:

تيجى بسرعة.

So. What can you tell us about the chanting? Is it mispronounced Arabic, or may it really be a dialect? I'm really curious.

Yeah, in reality, Bane was a cool guy.

[ Spoiler : http://i.imgur.com/SBQZE.jpg ]

So, Kate. The chanting. What do they sing in the pit? According to internets, it is a Maroccan dialect of arabic, and the singing means something like 'he flies fast'. The most approximate thing I managed to get in Google Translate was something like 'tisha bisur-ha', written:

تيجى بسرعة.

So. What can you tell us about the chanting? Is it mispronounced Arabic, or may it really be a dialect? I'm really curious.

Deshi bisrua means, in some gulf nation dialects, means 'Get in, quick' when spoken to a female.

Teegi تيجى بسرعة bisura, in Egyptian Arabia, means 'it comes quick' or 'come quick'

But if its Moroccan Arabic, then your guess is as good as mine as its pretty much incomprehensible to most Arabs East of Libya.

^ there's one right across the street from me.

you mut go to a lot of cheap movies then. i would. everything is cheap in mexico but the movies are dubbed in spanish. i can buy drugs and fruit in spanish but i can't really speak it well enough to follow a conversation. i hire a translator but he'd be shushed a bunch if i took him to the movies.

Deshi bisrua means, in some gulf nation dialects, means 'Get in, quick' when spoken to a female.

Oh ho ho, I think I like that interpretation. It adds a new dimension to the movie. A bunch of cellmates shouting 'girl, get in quick' to a prisoner that is trying to get out? That's hilarious. In any case I think I used to know a guy from Morocco, if I see him I will ask him.

Also, I found some images of iron muzzles. They were used in Roman times with slaves, but also during the slavery period (documented in Virginia, USA).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1h308.html

Probably it's a coincidence, but I had a 'whoa' moment.

You mean a "Whoa, humans need exterminating moment"?.

I remember some famous person , maybe actually was a daughter of a famous person, writing of how just going to live on a slave plantation slowly brutalised her whole family, even though they had no hand in day to day affairs, or any more close dealing with the enslaved people than having them serving as house-slaves.

Her parents began to argue violently with one another, her siblings became violent and extremely selfish and jealous, and she herself did too, even though she was aware of the process. Her idea was they had an unconscious connection to the brutality, a fear of it being imposed on themselves, and reacted with violence at any and all infringement on their "rights" as if they were attempts to "enslave" them.

You mean a "Whoa, humans need exterminating moment"?.

Nop, a "whoa did they really base on slavery devices to design Bane's mask" moment. Also, why would all black people need extermination?

No, the train of thought went, "humans made and inflicted such a horrible thing as that muzzle on other humans, humans are horrible, we should do something about their horrible, hmmm, people have tried to do something for so long, maybe we should just exterminate them'.

I was only semi-serious, Spain.

:)

how families afford to take kids to the pictures is beyond me

Answer: they do it very rarely. It cost me £36 to take the kids to see Brave the other week, and that's before we bought snacks & drinks (thank God there's an Asda next door to the cinema). To be honest, I don't grudge it if the film's decent enough, but when I end up shelling out the best part of £40 to spend 2 hrs watching something as shit as Hop it makes me a bit resentful.

Anyway, back on topic, I thought TDKR was fantastic stuff. The only fault I could find with it was that it wasn't as good as TDK*. But then, very few films are. I'm prepared to forgive the minor niggles like the knee cartilage and the "broken" back (was it ever established that his spine was actually broken?) because everything else was so wonderful.

Nolan just has a knack in for making the fantastical seem on the right side of believable - I'm thinking of The Bat.

Anne Hathaway was a far better Selina Kyle than Pfieffer (IMHO) - at least she was a cat-burglar and didn't require an origin story - and how her relationship with Bruce developed didn't strike me as contrived or out of place. I can easily forgive Bane's accent and moustache-twirling moments because overall he was an excellent baddie. I loved finding out John Blake's real name (which just rounded it off very nicely, thanks very much) and didn't see the Miranda Tate twist coming at all. The auto pilot? Well, we all love a happy ending, don't we?

Again, not as good as TDK but how could anyone top Ledger's performance anyway? If TDK is an A+ then this was an A

*even that had its faults - I never did like the "sonar-vision" part of the finale.

I'm prepared to forgive the minor niggles like the knee cartilage and the "broken" back (was it ever established that his spine was actually broken?) because everything else was so wonderful.

I think it was a dislocated vertebrae.

Not to bring this topic down, but I watched a BBC documentary about the BATMAN shootings. Um, the host kept making it all about her. I forgot her name, she's this really pretty either Indian or North African looking young lady? Avel? Is that it? Anyway, as for the shooter, other than he was nuts and undiagnosed his whole life, no light was shed on his motivations. I think this came out because someone wanted to be the first to do it.

Was that the one by Amal Fashanu?

Watched some of it. The girl actually has some promise in this field, but is still young & inexperienced. She made a documentary about homophobia in football which was reasonably good, although she missed a number of opportunities to make it great.

Focusing on the suicide of her uncle Justin Fashanu (UK's first (and only?) professional footballer to come out) she also spoke to her father, John. However, she wasn't aware of quite how homophibic & unsupportive (in fact, downright condemnatory) John had been with his brother when he came out. When she found out she tried to tackle him about it but missed multiple opportunities to put him on the spot about his comments. Too close to the source material I guess; could've been a great documentary if she had.

Anne Hathaway was a far better Selina Kyle than Pfieffer (IMHO) - at least she was a cat-burglar and didn't require an origin story - and how her relationship with Bruce developed didn't strike me as contrived or out of place. I can easily forgive Bane's accent and moustache-twirling moments because overall he was an excellent baddie. I loved finding out John Blake's real name (which just rounded it off very nicely, thanks very much) and didn't see the Miranda Tate twist coming at all. The auto pilot? Well, we all love a happy ending, don't we?

Again, not as good as TDK but how could anyone top Ledger's performance anyway? If TDK is an A+ then this was an A

*even that had its faults - I never did like the "sonar-vision" part of the finale.

Thank you Atticus.

I thought Batman broke a rib as well.

Was that the one by Amal Fashanu?

Watched some of it. The girl actually has some promise in this field, but is still young & inexperienced. She made a documentary about homophobia in football which was reasonably good, although she missed a number of opportunities to make it great.

Focusing on the suicide of her uncle Justin Fashanu (UK's first (and only?) professional footballer to come out) she also spoke to her father, John. However, she wasn't aware of quite how homophibic & unsupportive (in fact, downright condemnatory) John had been with his brother when he came out. When she found out she tried to tackle him about it but missed multiple opportunities to put him on the spot about his comments. Too close to the source material I guess; could've been a great documentary if she had.

Yes, Amal! Thank you. She's definitely got acareer ahead of her, I just think not enough info/evidence has come out yet to warrant a documentary being made so soon. I think the dude's motivations are still very much up in the air.

So someone point something out to me.

The prison Bruce gets tossed into is called The Pitt. In there, he is reinvigorated, regains his focus, and his knees even heals.

The unnamed mercenary (was Ducard his real name?) goes there, and then leaves to become Ra's Al Ghul. Bane is disfigured, but when he leaves the pitt, he gains the mask and in his words people start caring about him.

It's a Lazarus pitt, in a manner of speaking.

Did Ra's ever go into the pit though? I thought he skipped it and the woman went in his stead. I can't recall.

I think he stayed there for a bit, but then was released, not knowing that it was only because his wife had arranged it.

If people like to re-boot stuff that is only pretty new anyway, I vote they reboot Batman and make a proper Batman. Fuck realism, he is the Batman!.

If people like to re-boot stuff that is only pretty new anyway, I vote they reboot Batman and make a proper Batman. Fuck realism, he is the Batman!.

This. Very much this.

Thirded. Can't imagine why anyone would disagree with this, really. Nolan's trilogy has taken the "make it as real-world as possible" angle about as far as I'd ever like to see it taken - arguably a little too far, at times - and if they're not going to be continuing with this particular incarnation of the franchise (NOTE: "if"), it would feel completely redundant to just get some other director in to give their version of the same approach. With 80-odd years' worth of Batman comics to draw from, there are plenty of other approaches which would be creatively viable, and after three excellent pieces of grim, dark pseudo-realism, I'd be quite happy to see some of those other approaches explored. It's not like plenty of the best Batman comics ever (including, lest we forget, 'The Dark Knight Returns') don't go out of their way to embrace some of the more superficially ludicrous, "comic-booky" aspects of the character, after all.

"How can we make this different enough from the way we've done it before to stand on its own two feet, without losing any of the key things which made it work in the first place?" should surely be the approach taken by absolutely every reboot of an existing franchise. Otherwise, what's the point?