St. Apathy

The Dark Knight Rises

What's up homes? It's good to be back. I have had some, as Hunter would have put it, bad crazyness going on lately. But it's starting to improve and I'm back. Anyhoo back to the Bat-Lecture at hand.

Six actresses yada yada...

Naomi Watts is my choice for Catwoman, hope she gets it.

I personally would like to see Rachel Weisz play Catwoman, and Eva Green play Talia, because come on let's face it those are the two female leads, but Eva doesn't seem to be on Nolan's radar. In that case out of the choices we have heard about, my second choice for Talia is Anne Hathaway.

I personally would like to see Rachel Weisz play Catwoman

W00t!

(Mind you, there's very few comic book type heroines I wouldn't like to see Rachel Weisz playing...)

None of those seem likely to be a good Catwoman. And also, we do not know that Catwoman will even be in the film.

It does makes sense though. Think about it. Bruce Wayne's major love interest for the last two movies is gone. Catwoman's intoduction as one for Batman would only be natural. I really doubt an appearance by Talia though.

I really hope she's a love interest distinctly second, though.

Agreed. I've never been a fan of the Batman/Catwoman romantic aspect. It inevitably ends up with one or both of them moping about the place.

I know. I'm just saying if.

Sometime you're no good at being a nerd at all, Red.

:laugh:

Shame, really. Since Nolan is insisting that this next one is his last, the one where he wraps up his version of the Bat-verse, just imagine that we could have had a trilogy consisting of Batman Begins, Batman Continues, and Batman Concludes.

That would have been amazing.

Sarcasm?

Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle

Tom Hard will play Bane

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30413

If it weren't for Nolan, I would be very worried about having Bane in the film.

Anne Hathaway is BEAUTIFUL! I think she can pull it off. Although, make note she is playing Selina Kyle not Catwoman.

I am thinking Selina will be just a love interest for Bruce and not so much a villian.

Yeah. It allows for the Batman/sidekick dynamic without including Robin (since Nolan's down on the idea of including The Boy Wonder). It also follows on thematically with Wayne becoming more and more entrenched in his role as Batman. Without Maggie Gylenhaal's lawyer in the picture there's little to keep Bruce Wayne out of the darkness.

Hathaway's a good actress. And yeah, she's beautiful - though she looks kind of like someone's Photoshopped her face to make everything just slightly too big.

I'm wondering whether Nolan's quietly planning a Dark Knight Returns film for a few years hence. Gets around having another actor doing The Joker, too, because everyone would have to be in their 60s.

I don't know about Selina Kyle but not Catwoman. Kind of not seeing the point of it.

I mean if she's not Catwoman but still a villain/criminal of some sort, okay, but to downgrade her to requisite love interest is something I wouldn't like.

They've not said she isn't going to be Catwoman, it's just that the press release simply credits her as "Selina Kyle". If I recall correctly*, Aaron Eckhart was announced as playing "Harvey Dent", so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'm tentatively fine with both of these announcements. I've never seen Hathaway play sultry & seductive at all convincingly, but I'd never seen Ledger play gibbering and psychotic either, and we all saw how that worked out. Nolan's earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to casting.

I've got no idea where they'll go with Bane, but since the character as originally created was a blank slate whose sole defining trait was "wants to destroy Batman", they've got the freedom to do pretty much whatever they like with him, and "villain whose main goal is to destroy Batman" seems like a reasonable enough narrative spine for the final film in the series. The meat of the film is obviously going to be all the stuff they pack around that core arc, and I'm very happy not to have a clue what any of that will be until I sit down in the cinema.

*Or, more accurately, "As my wife informs me" She's much better at that sort of thing than I am.

As long as they don't do some cartoonish Venom-swilling version of Bane, I'm OK with it. And given that this is the Nolan-verse that does seem very unlikely. Still slightly skeptical but as Mark said, Nolan's earned the benefit of the doubt. I was very put off by Ledger being cast as the Joker and look how that turned out.

Also, Tom Hardy's bloody brilliant so I'm pretty sure I'll be sold on whatever version of Bane they want to represent.

Has anyone officially nixed the Hugo Strange rumours?