St. Apathy

The Dark Knight Rises

Yeah, not too thrilled about Bane - or dual villain comic movies.

Aye, 'cos that Dark Knight film sucked because of it :wink:

(but, granted, they usually do turn out shit the more villains they put in)

Still, I'm not overawed by the prospect of Bane, although I'm not going to let it spoil my anticipation of the movie. I Have Faith In Nolan, and I'm sure he'll do something believable with the character. Likewise, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle sounds like a winner, and I'm satisfied that Nolan will handle her dual role as realistically as he did Harvey Dent's.

Hathaway's a good actress. And yeah, she's beautiful - though she looks kind of like someone's Photoshopped her face to make everything just slightly too big.

Y'see, I think that's one of the things that makes her so beautiful. But I'm odd like that.

Yeah - if it really does end up with only two significant villains, that'll be fewer than have featured in any Bat-film since 1989. I've got a lot more faith in Nolan's ability to pull this off than I would have if it were, to pick an example completely at random, Joel Schumaker.

James - so far as I know the Hugo Strange rumour hasn't been formally nixed, but then again, it was never formally confirmed either. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him show up, but it's interesting that the story that was rumoured to be the source for some plot elements ('Prey', from Legends of the Dark Knight) would fit equally well with Bane as the featured villain. Batman-obsessed, highly intelligent bad guy figures out that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and instead of confronting him directly, sets up a physically tough stooge to go up against Batman, and observes the results before eventually going after Batman himself. That's pretty much the plot of 'Knightfall', give or take a broken spine or two.

At the very least, it'd be nice to see them go for a more intelligent, strategist version of Bane than the mindless thug which he's sometimes been reduced to. Throw in a bit of morally ambiguous romance with Catwoman, add a dash of the Batman-versus-the-GCPD arc which was set up at the end of TDK (and which has been at the heart of some rather splendid stories in the comics over the years), and bingo - there's your film.

Yeah, not too thrilled about Bane - or dual villain comic movies.

Aye, 'cos that Dark Knight film sucked because of it :wink:

Point.

But I will counter that Dent wasn't really villainized throughout the entire film and I will also raise you Spiderman 3, Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. :hattip:

But I do have faith that Nolan will play it right.

Hathaway's a good actress. And yeah, she's beautiful - though she looks kind of like someone's Photoshopped her face to make everything just slightly too big.

Y'see, I think that's one of the things that makes her so beautiful. But I'm odd like that.

Oh yeah, I agree absolutely.

Did anyone else get a huge kick of Bale shaking hands with Andrew Garfield prior to accepting his Golden Globe?

Reminded me of the Randomverse. So yeah.

Ach. I was hoping for Hardy as Black Mask, and Naomi Watts as Catwoman.

Not Halle Berry?

Naomi Watts is a great actress, but she's just not right to play Halle Berry.

Oh, just because she's white?!?! Come on now! So, it's ok for Billy Dee Williams to play Harvey Dent, but we can't have Watts play Berry?

:smile:

But normally just while he's being interviewed, I've noticed. :wink:

As long as Robin doesn't show (unless someone is fucking him/her up) I guess I'm cool. But I've never seen Hathaway play a role that demands more from her performance than any of the roles she has had previously. As pretty as she is, I've not seen her come close to anything that even lives in the same state as Selena/Catwoman. Nolan is batting 1.000 for his Batflicks, imo, but he must really love a big challenge. Hardy as Bane, cool, I guess. I don't have a problem with it.

Would we ever see the Dark Knight Returns in a movie version? That's a lot of characters, including Superman, but it would be so epic. I know it's "no" but I'm sure I'm not alone in what iffing a DKR adaptation.

TDKR is a mini reunion for Inception, with Nolan (obviously), Hardy, Levitt and now Marion Cotillard joining in. Can Leo resist?

Also, it won't be in 3D, thank fuck, as 3D is the most failed movie gimmick ever. And this is Bale's last time to play batty! YAY!

by the way, teasers? useless! case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj75YdgDmxw

I liked it. Sort of reminds me of that episode of the Batman animated series where Bruce finds out that Batman is someone else and was just using him as a mental crutch for his trauma. And didn't he find out it was Hugo Strange behind it all? Or Mad Hatter?

Either way, that could be a very cool element to the next movie. With Strange digging thru Bruce's pysche

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been confirmed for "The Dark Knight Rises." This is becoming an "Inception" reunion. HAHA

It's curious that they are keeping what role he is playing tightly under wraps, when all other roles are known. I hope the rumors of him as Riddler are true. I could get into Nolan's take on that character.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75398&offset=10#commentLstTop

Except Nolan has already nixed the idea of the Riddler.

I think they'll go for a Long Halloween/Dark Victory aspect with both Hathaway and Levitt as the Roman's kids.

That could fit well for Selina. But why keep Levitt's role as a mobster's son a secret?