St. Apathy

The Dark Knight Rises

Except Nolan has already nixed the idea of the Riddler.

I think they'll go for a Long Halloween/Dark Victory aspect with both Hathaway and Levitt as the Roman's kids.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/20/joseph-gordon-levitts-dark-knight-rises-role-revealed/

I like this idea very much. They could allude to some of the Bat-Villain supporting cast of the comic series without having to feature them.

I hope they do better with the resolution, my only disappointment was that we were lead to believe the series was a mystery with clues and it turned out not to be the case.

Yeah, I saw that. Unfortunately it's true. Why is it DC has such hard time making live action adaptations of it's characters? They have been such a hot mess iin recent years, though with a few exceptions. With Warner Bros owning DC, one would think they would be kicking Marvel's ass all over the place. Yet, Marvel has overrall produced a better body of work.

A Superman reboot makes sense, for a variety of reasons. But a Batman reboot is just plain stupid.

Anybody read this bullshit yet?

http://www.tgdaily.c...ebooting-batman

It's not April 1st just yet, that would be tomorrow.

Your tomorrow is my today.

And this must be a joke. WHY would they need to reboot the new Batman, just to make him fit into their scheme?. Just make your movies fer Dogs sake, let the watchers make the mental leaps that might be needed to fit different schemes together, they are already AWARE of the fact that it is a story.

I'm actually totally OK with this if it means that we get a self-contained trilogy of Nolan Bat-films which will remain forever un-messed-with. As long as they aren't fucktarded enough to re-reboot with another origin story, that is. If it's a soft reboot - ie., different actors and perhaps a slightly different tone, but picking up the story with a Batman who's already established as a superhero (because at this point there must be as-yet-undiscovered tribes in the Amazonian rainforest who are familiar with the gist of his backstory), then I'll be happy enough to take it on its own merits.

I suspect that the superhero movie bubble may burst at some point soon, though, which would rather scupper any plans for DC to build up a great big Justice League franchise in the way Marvel are attempting to do the Avengers. Looking at the list of upcoming comicbook adaptations, we must be approaching critical mass - all it'll take will be a couple of high-profile flops, and the studios will run screaming from superheroes to find the next Big Trend.

Which I'd also be OK with, to be honest. Too much of a good thing, and all that.

Yep. What next for the cement-mixer-of-LCD-entertainment I wonder?.

I am not holding my breath, but couldn't they make some really really cool historical re-inactment reality TV?. Nelsons life made by BBC TV, concurrent with a French TV effort of Villeneuves' life, they could share costs like the battle depictions, port constructions, film an attack on a Martello tower from both view-points, etc.

While doing the filming, they could have a competition "Are we the men our Grandfathers were?" where people signed up to see if they could endure, for a matter of mere weeks, the conditions the average sailor on both sides endured for years at a time. ( My opinion of course is, they could not, the workload would kill even a fit modern 18 year old, and that is ignoring the fact that "a half pint of rum, at twice" as they used to say, would produce a total death count in your mess nowadays. They would stagger over the side, fall off the rigging, or just go blind.)

They could film a crew of young British men being trained as infantry to old drill standards, with nothing more than the people had in those days, then, if any survived it, take them on a marching tour of Wellingtons route up The Penninsular and into France. And the French could train up some "Braves" to the insane standard of discipline and elan as The Old Guard had, and march to meet them. They could try to match the insane distances The Guard used to routinely achieve when Nappie would decide to force march and catch his enemies with their trousers down. Time and again people who he had done it to before, would go "He can't get men from there, to here, and have them alive to fight" and he just would, and not only alive, but magnificent, un-matchable.

And the best thing is, you wouldn't have to exaggerate. Stuff the Royal Navy did, battles The Old Guard fought, are astounding, unbelieveable, and would make awesome TV.

but like I say, breathing at normal level.

I agree with Mark, though it could be more of a reboot than that. A new series with no origin story, with the supernatural and science-fictional elements restored.

That was what I was getting at, too - I don't care how different they make it from the Nolan version (ideally as different as possible...the Nolan films have a good take on the character, but there are plenty of very different potential approaches which could work just as well), just as long as they trust their audience enough to accept it as what it is, rather than spoonfeeding us yet another take on the already-familiar origin story.

I'll be surprised if they run with the supernatural/sci-fi angle, though - not that I don't think it could work, but given that just about all the successful superhero adaptations of the past decade or so have been the ones which aimed for a pseudo-realistic tone, it'd be a risky proposition for them, and I can't see DC/Warners taking that sort of risk with their most profitable tentpole character.

A Superman reboot makes sense, for a variety of reasons.

Not one that is directed by Zack Snyder though. I was watching Sucker Punch and thinking about just how clueless a person would have to be to write and direct a movie like that. I think I would prefer this Batman reboot idea to Superman falling into the hands of Snyder.

It could be worse: they could have given it to Uwe Boll(ocks)...

It wasn't an April Fools joke? On another site, they said it was.

I wonder if there will be many more. Hollywood goes through moods, and it has put up with comic movies a long time now. Maybe there will be a backlash.

Though, reading an interview with the director of Thor, he was up-beat about comic-movies, and said he thought they did so well because the subject matter of comics, exciting adventure and fantasy stories, are actually bread and butter for movie making.

I wonder if there will be many more. Hollywood goes through moods, and it has put up with comic movies a long time now. Maybe there will be a backlash.

I would think that as long as the comics movies make money, the studios will keep pumping them out.

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Marion Cottilard have been cast as original characters, John Blake, a cop, and Miranda Tate, love interest.

Yeah, but Liam Neeson started off as Ducard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Cottilard turn out to be Talia.

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Marion Cottilard have been cast as original characters, John Blake, a cop, and Miranda Tate, love interest.

Don't we have Anne Hathaway for that as Catwoman for a love Interest?

They obviously need two women to match Batman's uncontainable libido. :P