James

Original Sins re-released with Swamp Thing issues and Jim Lee cover

Well hello there, Vertigo. What have you got to say for yourself?

ORIGINAL SINS

Written by JAMIE DELANO and RICK VEITCH; Art by JOHN RIDGWAY, TOM MANDRAKE, RICK VEITCH, BRETT EWANS and others; Cover by JIM LEE

The very first Hellblazer collection is back in a new edition that includes John Constantine's early appearances in SWAMP THING #76-77 along with HELLBLAZER #1-9. This is the first of a series of new HELLBLAZER collections that put all his adventures in reading order, capturing Constantine at his youthful, anarchic best.

Vertigo

304pg.

Color Softcover

$19.99 US

Mature Readers

On Sale March 2, 2011

Wait, what was that?

This is the first of a series of new HELLBLAZER collections that put all his adventures in reading order

Well now. That'll give me a headache on the Hellblazer wiki. And how's about a cover?

17039_400x600.jpg

Vertigo, you're too kind.

Handily I'll only need to buy everything from mid-Diggle onwards. And they won't get there for another ten or so years, by which point I'll be fabulously rich and it won't matter.

Might have to get it, even though I already have it, just for the Swamp Thing appearances, unless maybe I have those too hanging about, have to check.

Might have to get it, even though I already have it, just for the Swamp Thing appearances, unless maybe I have those too hanging about, have to check.

They were collected in the post-Moore Swamp Thing TPBs, though I forget which ones.

Including those two Swamp Thing issues is a long-overdue act of common sense. They're essential to the storyline; it took me years to track 'em down as back issues in the days before trades and scans.

I think the Jim Lee cover is inappropriate for that period of Hellblazer, but I feel like a fanboy twat for saying so.

Those two Swamp Things were included in the b/w Titan reprints back in 1990 or so.

I'll buy that, just for the Swamp Thing appearances, but that's it. Definitely not buying everything again, after spending 2 years tracking down all the single issues. Uh-uh, no way. Absolutely not. No siree.

Probably.

I am waiting for the Complete Series on an SD card.

sd1tn.gif

sorry

Same here. I've been so thorough tracking down every appearance of Constantine in comic book form that I only lack maybe 10-20 even counting counting the old Vertigo Winter issues, remember those? Now, I might pick up the new Original Sins simply because mine is shot to shit. The glue has come undone from the spine so it's more like a looseleave notebook than a proper soft cover book.

Vertigo is getting around to collecting the HB Winter's Edge stories, plus some other still relevant (and not creator owned) stories in the coming months, actually.

The first two HB stories are really good John Constantine stories.

(The Dave Gibbons Santa story is really not good.)

There was also at least one really stand-out Neil Gaiman penned Sandman related story in that series.

I wonder if they'll collect HB short stories in these new collections too?

I don't like that cover at all, though.

I will be purchasing this but that cover's not really up to snuff, looks like something Jim knocked up at a convention table.

It'd be nice if they collected the Jenkins stuff, Critical Mass would saunter into my top 5 Hellblazer stories.

They were collected in the post-Moore Swamp Thing TPBs, though I forget which ones.

I'll have to check my stash. I thought I had all of the Moore stuff in either trade or floppy.

No, no - the post-Moore stuff. Written be Rick Veitch (with occasional guest-spots by Delano). They're not very good, to be honest. Pretty much in line with every other Swamp Thing comic that's not written by Alan Moore or Len Wein.

Not sure how I feel about them reprinting everything 'in publication order'. Some stuff actually reads better out of it - like removing the three-issue gap (filled by Morrison and Gaiman) between the first and second issues of the Family Man arc. Still, I suppose it's better to do it now than after they've already invested in Jenkins trades and the like following the old pattern.

No offence, but we've had the Rick Veitch Swamp Thing discussion before, and while Alan Moore's ones are mostly very good, to call Veitch's not very good is simple fanboy hyperbolix.

Agreed.

I enjoyed a lot of the Veitch run more than a lot of the post-American Gothic Moore issues.

Outside of My Blue Heaven, I don't have a lot of fond memories of post-American Gothic Moore Swamp Thing.

Also, even American Gothic wasn't that great when I try to re-read it.

The finale is one of my favourite stories, of course. But, some of the road getting there just isn't terribly good.

The werewolf issue is terribly embarrassing (which Moore admits, giving credit).

The pre-American Gothic issues are the high point of Moore's run, and that high standard far outshines everything else ever done on Swamp Thing, but Veitch's run can stand up relatively well and is much better than anything else done on Swamp Thing afterwards.

Ranking the HB mini-series is informative, as you can rank every Swamp Thing run and find a similar statistic.

1.)Alan Moore

2.)Len Wein

3.)Rich Veitch

A drop in quality.

4.)Mark Millar

A huge drop.

5.)Pretty much everything else.

No offence, but we've had the Rick Veitch Swamp Thing discussion before, and while Alan Moore's ones are mostly very good, to call Veitch's not very good is simple fanboy hyperbolix.

No, it's an honest opinion based on the first three or four Veitch trades.

It's been ages since you've lazily written off one of my opinions with a mild insult rather than engage in a meaningful debate (or even just saying 'I disagree' and moving on). It's like old times!

I've only read the first two Veitch trades, and while I don't entirely agree with either of you, my opinion of their quality is an awful lot closer to James' than it is to Ade's. Perhaps you had to be there at the time?

The thing that always puzzles me about the Swamp Thing debate is how Marty Pasko's run gets ignored. He did some pretty decent stuff, including setting up a lot of elements that Moore used later, but gets dismissed as not even being as good as Doug Wheeler or Nancy Collins. WTF is that about?

Not having read them myself, I can see a few possible explanations:

- It's actually crap, and you have no taste.

- It's actually ace, and the people who don't like it have no taste.

- Since the Moore reboot got such acclaim, the stuff which immediately preceded it is easy to overlook. Since relatively-few modern readers are likely to have read it, received wisdom carries a lot of weight - and it's easy to see how "it got way better as soon as Moore took over" could become "it was crap before Moore took over" in the collective consciousness.

Pick the one which most appeals to you, really... :wink:

Probably the last.

The "not having read them" thing might be germane as well: I don't think any of that stuff has ever been reprinted.

No, none of that has ever been reprinted.

I'd go with answer #4)It's Marty Pasko!

That's solution enough to the mystery.

I thought it was horribly hackneyed writing. I didn't mind Wheeler's run that much, but it's been years since I've read either writer's work on the book, so I might need to re-read both to see how they compare. I'd much rather read Pasko's work than Collins though.

Collins run was during my time of buying any comic books on my save list, regardless. I don't know how I suffered through Collins' run month after month without dropping the title. It certainly never improved.

Well, maybe my experience with HB in the present might explain it...

Although, I love John Constantine, where Swamp Thing is only interesting with a good writer.

Some of the latter Swamp Thing attempts at a relaunch might give people a different view of Pasko's run.

He is wedged between the classic Wein and the greatness of Moore, so it's not a good place to be.

But, I read his stuff at the same time as I was reading Veitch's work, before I read either Wein or Moore, so that doesn't explain why it didn't impress me in the least.

I believe it is the best thing that Pasko ever wrote though...

Welcome back James.

I was of course being lazy.

I apologise for challenging you.

I'd rather you challenge my opinions, that's all.

Look, I know my reply was a bit sharp, but it's just a bit disheartening and frustrating to have your thoughts dismissed out of hand as 'fanboy' nonsense.