James

John Constantine timeline

As part of my ongoing attempt to stave off unemployed boredom I've started putting together a timeline of John Constantine's life, taking in everything from his pre-Swamp Thing days and the major plot points from ST #27 onwards. Read it here. It's missing a lot of non-HB stuff, like the Shade the Changing Man issues, but it's a start.

Observations:

They've been pretty consistent about John's childhood over the years, though he grows up awfully fast between 1965 and 1967, which is when he curses his dad. I suppose getting the school bully's legs flattened by a truck will do that.

Almost nothing is known about Constantine's early '70s, pre-punk period. Fertile ground for retconning, it seems. The only thing I can think of that might fit there is a little snippet of John's early adult life in Hellblazer #109.

All His Engines does throw a bit of a spanner in the works, continuity-wise. Not only does it bring Thomas Constantine out of prison (and regrows one of his arms) in 1961, it also sets the 'modern-day' stuff in 2004, which is when the 'John suffers amnesia' issues came out. However, given the way that Carey's run flows from one issue to the next, it's possible that the all the Shadow Dog stuff happens in 2003. Which is how I've done it in the timeline.

Thoughts? Contributions? Do feel free to jump in and have a go if you like. The default Wikia skin is horrid, sorry about that, but if you can be arsed logging in you can change it to the regular wikipedia one.

Excellent work! It all seems to fit together, which is quite remarkable, considering.

Growing up fast between 1965-67 doesn't seem too strange if you were born in '53 - it's called puberty.

The 'Shade' appearance will fit in without any problem - JC is swept back in time from the night of Thatcher's first election win (3 May 1979), while on temporary leave from Ravenscar. As noted elsewhere, he doesn't much resemble the 1979 twatpunk Constantine in the current Milligan/Bisley run.

The early-noughties timeline reminds me that I remember very little of Carey's run. It didn't make much of an impression in the first place.

That is some fine work, James. The dark cloud of your unemployment has at least provided a silver lining of clarity in Hellblazer.

Not much solace for you, mind, but we still appreciate it.

One other thing - Auntie Jean, the one that Constantine actually liked and upon whose grave he left flowers at the start of Milligan's Hellblazer run, was actually first mentioned in Carey's 'The Gift', issue 213. I'm pretty sure she hasn't appeared in any other issues (the other auntie being Dolly, the one seen in 'Dead Boy's Heart') which makes it a pretty cool little bit of continuity wrangling on Milligan's part. I'll have to do a family tree soon.

Another thing - in 'Haunted' John says he met Isabel Bracknell seven years earlier. Assuming the issue takes place in 99, which is when it's dated, that means he was sleeping with her for six months while he was going out with Kit. Which seems a bit wrong to me...

Cool. I wonder if anyone would want to GoogleMap Hellblazer like they did with Walking Dead. I imagine that too would be an extensive undertaking. Really good work, James. Thanks!

If anyone wants to add locations to that map, PM me your email

(I think you have to sign up to google but that's no hardship really).

Good stuff James, there's an actual timeline in the Vertigo Hellblazer Secret Files that came out ages ago.

I borrowed a bit from that for this, actually!

Ade - awesome stuff! I'll PM you my address.

As part of my ongoing attempt to stave off unemployed boredom I've started putting together a timeline of John Constantine's life, taking in everything from his pre-Swamp Thing days and the major plot points from ST #27 onwards. Read it here.

Nice job, James.

On 12/15/2010 at 5:28 PM, A. Heathen said:

Am going to use some forthcoming free time to visit some places...

what's your favourite Hellblazer location in London
(last weekend I walked past the Thames river post where undead river Zombies drawn by Leonardo Manco included McMahon and Brown.)

• Like 1

You should do walking tours while the people who remember Hellblazer are still young enough to walk.

• Like 2

Youre all welcome.

With enough notice we can throw in the From Hell tour (uses buses)