St. Apathy

AKA Jessica Jones

Rogan    176

Yeah, Alias and the (upcoming) Powers TV thingie seem like perfect 2nd (3rd?) wave of superhero entertainment - after many a origin story, this behind-the-scenes through the eye of a former hero, now a "commoner" angle seems like it can yield some good, smart drama, if handled right.

Any news on the status of this?

dogpoet    442

I just hope they don't let Bendis write any of the scripts, the shite he's been churning out since finishing this...

Rogan    176

I don't think there's any reason they would, judging by how many comics writers had the right of first draft for their properties so far, with pretty much none of it reaching the screens.

dogpoet    442

True, but Bendis does not think like other comics writers: you just have to look at Secret Invasion to see that. ;)

Rogan    176

If Millar can't get his drafts past the studios, I doubt Bendis will be able, especially if it's not directly produced by Marvel studios.

Still, it's written by Twilight screenwriter, so we might wind up wishing it was Bendis.

St. Apathy    140

She also wrote for Dexter. I don't actually like the show, but there's loads of people who do.

slinker    893

the first episode was decent enough. i'll keep watching. kristen ritter is so beautiful, it causes me pain.

JohnMcMahon    562

It was a bit clunky in places but, for the most part, I enjoyed the first episode - [ Spoiler : it had that one thing you need in a pilot, a memorable ending ],

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

episode 2 had some great moments and some super cringeworthy moments.

Gwilym    330

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, though I'm pretty sure this 'Kristen Ritter' person is actually a collab between Eliza Dushku and Paget Brewster

Red    467

We're binge-watching, and are up to ep. 9. I really, really like it. They're treating the heavy subject matter very well so far, and both the main characters (JJ and Kilgrave) are superbly cast. Kilgrave is supremely creepy. Some extremely tense moments.

slinker    893

The acting has caused me pain in eps 2 and 3. Not completely, just in certain parts. They'll be going along fine, and then say something stupidly. It might be an Americanism thing, because we Americans do say things differently than you euros do.

Red    467

The acting has caused me pain in eps 2 and 3. Not completely, just in certain parts. They'll be going along fine, and then say something stupidly. It might be an Americanism thing, because we Americans do say things differently than you euros do.

Like what?

St. Apathy    140

I'm a bit into episode 10 and no spoilers please but why the hell is Jessica pleased about being able to resist Kilgrave when she did let him go?

slinker    893

It's been a few days so I can't recall. But it was an exchange between Jessica and Luke.

St. Apathy    140

I meant the first time, and apparently I missed the fact that Lester had tackled her on Kilgrave's word.

Two other questions; what was Reva doing with the flashdrive? And who hired Jessica to spy on Luke and his married girlfriend if it wasn't the husband, and why?

Red    467

Two other questions; what was Reva doing with the flashdrive?

Have you seen the whole series? [ Spoiler : She was involved with the project, and wanted to document the atrocities performed on the kids. ]

And who hired Jessica to spy on Luke and his married girlfriend if it wasn't the husband, and why?

[ Spoiler : Noone hired her, she spied on him because she killed his wife. ]

wolvy    57

Two other questions; what was Reva doing with the flashdrive?

Have you seen the whole series? [ Spoiler : She was involved with the project, and wanted to document the atrocities performed on the kids. ]

And who hired Jessica to spy on Luke and his married girlfriend if it wasn't the husband, and why?

[ Spoiler : Noone hired her, she spied on him because she killed his wife. ]

I thought at that point it was different.

Reva was interested in the flash drive because she was hoping it would have information on the experiments that happened to her husband.

Red    467

I found this article to be quite good.

The trope of the attractive, eloquent manipulator isn’t exactly new. Some might argue it’s what makes a villain compelling; how can someone so evil appear so incredibly charming? Think Hannibal Lecter. Think Tom Riddle (prior to his unfortunate facial disfigurement). Think literally ever member of the Lannister family. Then, of course, there’s the serial rapist trope, which is deployed at the drop of a hat as lazy writer shorthand to tell the audience just how unspeakably evil this person is. Rape is typically used as a plot device in crime shows with disposable bad guys (I’m looking at you, Law & Order: SVU), and usually occurs in clichéd scenarios that perpetuate myths about both rapists and rape victims. The stranger in a dark alleyway. The perverted shut-in. The serial killer who targets sex workers.

Much has been written about Jessica Jones as social commentary on rape and rape culture, and I don’t disagree, but I think the show has illuminated a much more complex and insidious form of abuse—one that gets little, if any, traction in mainstream media. Yes, Kilgrave is a rapist, but his sexual abuse is not of the kind we often see represented on television; he abuses in the context of relationships that seem, to the outside observer, consensual, and it is this—his psychological abuse of his victims, his absolute and total control and manipulation of them, his dominance over their agency and their free will—that make him so utterly terrifying.