Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

The Man of Steel

That Nolan is attached to this is good news. Other than that, I am neither overjoyed nor disheartened with Snyder's involvement.

Let's just hope Snyder's love of AWESOME VIOLENCE doesn't result in some macho bullshit like Superman burning off a guy's head or something.

Let's just hope Snyder's love of AWESOME VIOLENCE doesn't result in some macho bullshit like Superman burning off a guy's head or something.

All in glorious slow motion, don't forget

Christopher Nolan and David Goyer pen the script.

This is...acceptable.

Henry Cavill as Clark Kent.

This is...excellent news.

Zack Snyder directs.

This is...FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.

FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.

FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.FUCK.OFF.

What Mark said. Except the Cavill part since I have no clue who he is and cannot, therefore, be enthused (or discouraged) by his involvement.

He's been very good in the handful of things I've seen him in, and he looks spot-on - physically a good match for the role, but without the sort of ersatz-Christopher-Reeve vibe which put me off Brandon Routh. Its easy to see why they thought of him - he's recognizably Superman-esque, but not in a way which directly echoes any of the previous screen versions, which gives me some confidence that they'll be looking to do their own thing with the character.

Or, you know, it would do if Zack Snyder had ever given any sign that "his own thing" would match up in any way to the sort of thing I'd want to see in a Superman movie. I'll be delighted if I'm proved wrong, though - after all, it's early days yet.

I fear you're right. You can't see Snyder having Cavill slap bad guys with an open palm because he'd take their head off if he hit them with a closed fist, can you?

I still think they should have used Tom Welling. Smallville is nearly done and it would make a great way to transition. He has the ability and I think he knows the character a bit

Henry Cavill as Clark Kent.

That's a shame. I thought he was a shoo-in for the next James Bond, but it's not gonna happen if the Superman role goes ahead.

Really easy to see why they cast him as Superman, though.

I didn't think Brandon Routh did a bad job. Was there really that much dissatisfaction with him?

I thought Routh did a perfectly decent job in a thankless role - he was massively hamstrung by having to live up to Singer's "if I close my eyes and pretend really hard then it'll be just like the '70s" approach to the character. He wasn't really being asked to play Superman, he was playing Christopher-Reeve-as-Superman, which would have been impossible to live up to even if the film around him had been less ill-conceived.

Under ideal circumstances I wouldn't have had a huge problem with Routh getting another shot at the part, but if the whole point of this new film is a clean break from the franchise's past, carrying over the actor from a previous, failed revival would probably be a mistake - for good or ill, he'd come with too much baggage attached.

I still don't know why everyone hated Superman Returns, honestly. It's far from perfect but not the disaster that so many people seem to think it was.

I'm glad they poached Cavill away from the Bond franchise! Daniel Craig's my favourite incarnation of Bond and I hope they keep him around for a long time.

I still don't know why everyone hated Superman Returns, honestly.

Three words: Dark. Brooding. Superman.

It was competently made (if far, far too long), but for me, at least, everything about the tone completely missed the point of the character - if there's any character who really shouldn't be portrayed through a muted colour palette and lots and lots of moody night sequences, it's Superman. Also, the deadbeat dad/stalker angle just felt wrong on such a fundamental level that the film was never going to recover from it. Add to that the way it tried to serve both as a sort-of sequel to/remake of a thirty-year-old movie (the plot follows Superman: The Movie virtually beat-for-beat, complete with completely unnecessary Smallville sequences at the start which delays the start of the story by about half an hour because, hey, we can't have a Superman film without a scene of young Clark running through a cornfield), and it just felt...unnecessary. Whatever else Snyder's film is going to be, I hope that it'll at least make a reasonable attempt to stand on its own merits, while Singer's reverence for the original film simply got in the way.

The shuttle/plane rescue was terrific, though, even if it did ultimately amount to nothing more than a visually-more-impressive version of the helicopter sequence from the original film.

I still don't know why everyone hated Superman Returns, honestly. It's far from perfect but not the disaster that so many people seem to think it was.

That was my take, too. Of course I went in with low expectations of the movie and of Brandon Routh, so was pleasantly surprised by both.

I'm glad they poached Cavill away from the Bond franchise! Daniel Craig's my favourite incarnation of Bond and I hope they keep him around for a long time.

Well, it'll be a long time before they make the next Bond movie. Does that count? :)

Henry Cavill was tipped to take over from Daniel Craig when Cavill was old enough to play Bond, not immediately.

In stumbles a Kevin of the Costner variety to the role of not-Superman Sr. Coupled with Diane Lane is not-Superman Sr's wife and Superman's mom, Martha. What? While I love Diane Lane with a healthy enough lust for a woman of her advanced years, she's no Martha Kent. Maybe Lara, but Martha? Someone's been huffing at the paint, I think.

Confirmed: Kevin Costner to Play Jonathan Kent in Zack Snyder’s SUPERMAN Reboot

by Adam Chitwood Posted:March 17th, 2011

A couple weeks ago, it was reported that Kevin Costner was being considered for a key role in Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot. Well now Warner Bros. has confirmed that the actor has closed a deal to play Jonathan Kent, Clark Kent’s adopted father. Henry Cavill is poised to play the Man of Steel, and Diane Lane recently joined the cast as Kent’s adopted mother, Martha.

Zack Snyder:

“SUPERMAN IS A 'BROKEN CONCEPT' AND 'NEEDS TO BE FIXED.' He is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on.”

“When [Christopher and Emma] asked Deborah and I out to lunch [to tell us] what they wanted to do with [Man of Steel] – I’ve got to say, [beforehand] I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can [do Superman]. [Afterward], I was like, ‘This is right.’ […] I didn’t need to hear that much before I went, ‘Okay, that’s right, that’s the right way to do it.’ […] I’m a fan of the character. I want him to be awesome.”

superman-versus-thor.jpg

Also, Tim Burton once was tapped to direct a film called "SUPERMAN LIVES" which was canceled. Check out some of these pre-production photos and breathe a heavy sigh of relief:

Nic%20Cage%20Superman5.jpg

Nic%20Cage%20Superman6.jpg

Does Norse Mythology equal "Magic" or "Religion"?

Not that it matters, really, in my book; religion is just magic dressed up in a fancy frock, IMO.

Classuic Superman would get his arse kicked in by Thors Hammer, because it is magic.

Superman is just as vulnerable to magic as the next guy. If Superman is deemed worthy by Odin, and you can reasonably assume he would, then Mjolnir is just a hammer. :sherlock:

If Superman is deemed worthy by Odin, and you can reasonably assume he would...

Not without passing some mighty challenge, I reckon...

But Odin is all seeing, he already knows if one is worthy. Captain America was able to both lift and throw Mjolnir, no challenge necessary.

But Odin is all seeing, he already knows if one is worthy. Captain America was able to both lift and throw Mjolnir, no challenge necessary.

Point 1 - Got it.

Point 2- Say what?