Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

The Man of Steel

Michael Shannon as General Zod is the only positive thing i've heard about it.

Then I saw this.

zodu.jpg

the top is probably a fake but it's based on this still image from the set below.

shannon1.jpg

I'm considering withdrawing my previous statement.

What...the fuck?

maybe it's a CGI suit. I don't see any motion capture ping pong balls, though.

All the millions of potential stories and they are going to give us one we saw already?.

Why?.

And, who are they possibly going to have as Ursa that isn't going to be a pathetic shadow of Sarah Douglas' turn?.

But, mainly WHY?.

To Paraphrase Mark, "Sometimes Movies are shit".

• Upvote 1

Here's the trailer kids

I am feeling far better about this. Everything looks a bit too dark though. Still, good vibrations.

So, Russell Crowe is Jor-El? Interesting casting. I wonder if he'll throw a phone at Kal-El's head if he asks a dumb question. Even if the movie sucks, that's one of the best teaser trailers I've seen in a long time. BUT I thought the Episode 1 trailer was cool, too, especially when Sidious ends it with "wipe them out - all of them." So, I've been misled by trailers before.

Although Pa Kent saying that protecting his secret is more important than saving lifes is kind of weird.

This. Superman is who he is because of Ma and Pa Kent. He got his entire moral system from them. I thought that was the whole point of the Superman myth - alien origin and godlike powers joined with good ol' down home American Midwestern common sense. To show Pa Kent saying that Clark should have let a bus full of children die is to undermine the very basis of the character.

I liked the second half of the trailer but it looks like we're going to get a solid 90 minutes of existential angst and moping about before the Van Alden hits the fan.

I don't think that Pa Kent scene was meant to indicate the whole Clark-Jonathan dynamic. Maybe in that scene Pa was scared, worried his son might be taken away, unsure of how to handle this alien boy, whom he loves, with powers he can barely comprehend, now suddenly "going public". I'm sure the scene will play out different than you think.

Speaking of parents, I love the scene with Martha as she's helping him with his ....super hearing?

I must admit, the trailer didn't entirely 'wow' me, although I see what people like about it. There's a lot to like, especially the physics (which seems like a weird comment at first, but bear with me - everything about the way Superman moves in the shots of him using his powers just feels right, which isn't always the case in CGI-fests like this one is undoubtedly going to be), but so far as I'm concerned it's fighting against a nearly all-consuming sense of "but it's Zack Snyder, and I can't stand that guy's movies". Hopefully this'll be the one where he proves me wrong.

I'm not keen on the costume, either, although other than that I think Cavill looks absolutely spot-on for the part. But the "Superman in handcuffs" poster gives me some hope that, despite Snyder's inescapable Snyder-ness, he might just have a strong enough grasp of the character to make this work. I found the mini-outcry about that poster "but Superman could just break out of those handcuffs instantly!" downright bizarre, because it revealed such a comprehensive misunderstanding of who and what Superman is as a character. The thing that makes him Superman, rather than just A.N.Other superpowered alien in a daft costume, isn't the fact that he could break out of the 'cuffs and fly away without breaking a sweat if he wanted to. It's the fact that he wouldn't.

• Upvote 2

The thing that makes him Superman, rather than just A.N.Other superpowered alien in a daft costume, isn't the fact that he could break out of the 'cuffs and fly away without breaking a sweat if he wanted to. It's the fact that he wouldn't.

Exactly, Superman is no vigilante, he would respect the law. I thought the poster was extremely effective in showing Superman's attitude. I think we can all agree that Snyder is a visually stunning director, I'm excited to see what can he do with Superman's powers.

The Jon Kent bit seems like manipulative trailer editing to me. A couple of bits from others part spliced together to give you a different idea of what is actually going on.

The thing that makes him Superman, rather than just A.N.Other superpowered alien in a daft costume, isn't the fact that he could break out of the 'cuffs and fly away without breaking a sweat if he wanted to. It's the fact that he wouldn't.

Exactly, Superman is no vigilante, he would respect the law. I thought the poster was extremely effective in showing Superman's attitude. I think we can all agree that Snyder is a visually stunning director, I'm excited to see what can he do with Superman's powers.

Yep. Actually, what I would have loved to see is ( if this is how it works in the US, I go on movie knowledge alone here ) the D.A. turn up with a warrant and two deputies and say "I have here a warrant for your arrest issued by the local court, Superman".

The whole thing.

"Suspect not known to be armed" i.e. don't need swat. D.A. knows perfectly well that Superman is Superman, and either he will come at the beckoning finger of society, or he will simply say no. D.A. believes because it is Superman, he will come and just does what he would always do going to arrest someone who is not known to be carrying a gun. Also, D.A. thinks, "Man, people are might get hurt if he does say know, and some swat clown opens up".

It would be like the ultimate vote of confidence in both Superman, and the power and majesty of the law. imho.

"Trailer made by estropajo89 using clips from kashchei2003's Superman: Doomsday fan film" From the description on youtube. Pretty impressive but too cheesy to be real. Still, that a fan made that, I say again, impressive!

I swear, I thought I looked for the description but I didn't sign in, that might be why. I hate having to sign into Youtube just to read comments and descritpions now. What a pain.

A far better trailer! With less "dark." I'm feeling better about this. The message I get from this is: We're going to give you the Superman movie you deserve, it will be cool, it will respect what came before and it is NOT Superman Returns. It all seems a bit Superman: Birthright, doesn't it? They could do far worse than a Mark Waid Superman story for inspiration. Also, Superman flying and punching others! Finally!!

• Upvote 1