Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

The Man of Steel

Enjoyed that myself for all its flaws and yeah there were many including the oft-mentioned scale of gratuitous destruction towards the end.

But after those trailers I was kinda expecting some almighty destruction to occur. Although it is still an awkward jarring fit for the character seeing him standing in the middle of ground zero, in the context of a character still coming to terms with his responsibilities facing bad guys who can more than meet him on his own terms, I wasn't entirely surprised where the film went with that.

So I found the super-powered punch-up fun but yeah the complete disregard for the fallout from said punch-up is much harder to overlook.

Optimist in me hopes that it forms a thread towards some anti-superhero shenanigans in any potential Justice League movie, the cynic is laughing at the mere thought that DC/Snyder et al is being that thoughtful in their approach.

But anyway the casting was great and the greatest hits approach to the origin story through flashbacks worked for me. So yeah there are misfires in terms of tone but just enough of it works to make it worthwhile for me.

• Upvote 1

Thinking on it a bit more it would have been better had Superman paused his fight to save the humans from falling debris and such, realizing that even if he could defeat Zod, he really could not at the expense of Metropolis and her peoples. This would focus the people's attenton to him, gaining their trust, more so than just because Col Hardy says so. It might have been better had he imprisoned Zod back into the phantom zone somehow.

I like that. But I'll go one step further. After he has Zod soundly beaten, people gather round, demanding he be killed, even the military or even the President. But! Kal-El essentially says no way, that's not how my parents...my Earth parents raised me...I can be better. We can all be better. Then throws him back to the Phantom Zone.

I'm out. *Mic drop*

• Upvote 1

Uhh....yes....word to your mother and such. Yo', recognize, bitches.

I don't have a proper handle on the parlance being used, clearly.

The first big flaw (among the many) of the superman myth is its first effort: Jor-el can only find or build a ship big enough for a baby and not for either of its parents.

I loved the Krypton tech. that's pretty much all i loved about the movie.

I thought originally Jor El did not have enough time to build an appropriate craft? Dunno much about Supes

I think he was a sworn Councillor of their civilisation, as well as a scientist?.

Proper servant doesn't desert his post and the rest follows from that. Wife has honour of her own to live by, and of course "Science" offers their child a hope to out live them.

Nothing in there that seems flawed to me, actually.

[ Spoiler : Likes:

FX were cool. The space scenes were done by the same team that did BSG. Gaeta even had a bit part.

Surprisingly, the acting was decent though the dialogue sucked balls.

The sense of sacrifice by all the characters, I wish real life were so.

The oh so beautiful destruction!

Clark didn't work for the Daily Planet yet, no stupid secret identity...d'oh! no Jimmy Olsen.

Star-studded cast didn't trip each other up.

Dislikes:

The dialogue sucked (who talks like that?). the pacing was off (this happens very often in movies over 2 hrs).

How did Jor-El design a 20K yr old space probe?

Just turn the ship a little bit and the key will fall in.

Lucky Lois Leap

How the fuck does a singularity not destroy the planet?

Making out in the ruins seems disrespectful to the dead.

No shit, it's a fight to the death, Zod, way to state the obvious. ]

Jimmy Olson was there = Jenny Olson (girl stuck in the rubble, being rescued by Perry).

ok, then. it's an elseworlds movie?

Aren't they all?

Warner Bros. Studios: Making DC Elseworlds movies since 1978.

Motto: "Fuck what you've read! You're gonna watch our shit and like it."

• Upvote 1

Nerds: "Thinking stuff like 'canonicity' and 'continuity' matter way, way more than they actually do since time immemorial"

:tongue:

• Upvote 2

I have as well. Also, Honest Trailers by Screen Junkies and Everything Wrong With.... by Cinema Sins are both highly addictive