Sign in to follow this  
slinker

WIZARD Magazine folds

Wizard and ToyFare magazines fold

by Kevin Melrose

Wizard magazine has ceased publication after nearly 20 years, laying off its remaining staff and canceling freelance assignments. Its sibling publication ToyFare also has closed.

CEO Gareb Shamus followed a morning filled with reports of the magazines’ demise with a press release announcing the February launch of “an all-new digital magazine called Wizard World” that will target the same audience. Curiously the release, which you can read below, doesn’t mention Wizard magazine. Instead its focus is on the news that Wizard World Inc. is now a public company with Shamus as its president and CEO.

(more at the link)

Former Wizard Employee Speaks

iFanboy: Tell us what happened today at Wizard.

Former Wizard Employee: Actually its pretty screwed up what they did. They gave everyone off on Friday (very strange) then last night at 6:30 PM (right before kickoff [of the Jets/Steelers playoff game]) they called me and told me the magazines were no longer in publication. I was asked to go get my personal belongings and they told me the office was closed and moved to a different location and they would let us know when it was okay to get them. When I asked about severance or unemployment they shrugged me off and quickly dismissed me. So, I still have no idea what is happening in those regards.

(more at the link)

They've already done a few collections of that, though: maybe they'll do a complete edition now no more will be produced?

(Or, of course, the owners might find another home for it...)

Now who is going to reveal John Constantine's Thumb as the new HOT character?

They served zero purpose. Old news that you found on the internet three months ago, overpriced, and the lamest price guide you could ever find.

Their nail in the coffin happened when they decided to move away from being seen as a price guide. They served a purpose at that time, as they were a monthly magazine and cheaper than the other price guides (even though less thorough to be sure).

Even still though, no one needs a monthly price guide. A quarterly would have worked well.

I loved some of there interviews,I seem to remember big long,exhaustive interviews with Dave Mckean,Ted Mckeever,all the Early Vertigo guys,I even -oh wait,I'm thinking of The Comics Journal.

Remember that time Wizard had that cover story,comparing Jim Shooter to Richard Nixon? I remember..oh wait,Comics Journal.

This does kinda suck though,now it will be even harder to figure out which characters,Shia Labeouf looks the most appropriate for.