Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Fantastic 4 - 1 + x = Future Foundation

So, now that the Fantastic Four are no more. There will now be the Future Foundation. Reed, Sue and Ben rearrange and recruit.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30746

I like it. Having Spider-Man join makes sense. Aside from the coloring, the costume look cool.

However, in my opinion, Hickman gets some benefit of the doubt on this one.

Thanks for the heads-up, Shawn.

I'm not that keen on Spider-Man's FF costume myself, even with different colouring.

Does anyone else think the Human Torch had lame powers? He can set himself on fire, and fly around (but only while he's on fire). That was okay in the 60s when comics were simpler, and okay for a 90 minute movie, but it's not exactly full of story potential for contemporary comics.

“Jonathan and Steve have crafted a unique, powerful new series that’s going to surprise a lot of fans with its combination of mind-blowing ideas and visuals.”

Oh, so they're Morrison and Quitely, are they? No hyperbole there.

The perfect jumping on point for new readers, FF #1 ...

It's the first issue. Of course it's the perfect f*cking jumping on point for new readers.

... and no fan can afford to miss it!

No sh*t. By definition, a fan... ah, whatever.

I'll still check it out.

Yeah, that Spidey costume reminds me too much of that reverse Venom or whatever he is

And of course Marvel is going to hype the holy hell out this! I hope Hickman/Epting aren't like Morrison/Quitely. Because that would mean: maybe 2-3 issue of Epting then they switch to someone else, the book is perpetually late and it becomes highly overrated.*

I hope that Hickman will bring in some FF side characters, like Crystal or Lyja

*All-Star Superman is excempt from all those criticisms due to complete brilliance!

Morrison/Quitely...highly overrated.*

*All-Star Superman is excempt from all those criticisms due to complete brilliance!

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you somehow just forgot to include Flex Mentallo, JLA: Earth 2, WE3, and at least a couple of the New X-Men arcs they collaborated on and the first three issues of Batman & Robin in the exempted-due-to-obvious-brilliance list. Right? It's OK, we all overlook things sometimes :wink:

Can't argue with the bit about delays and abbreviated run/replacement artists, but I don't think that makes the actual Morrison/Quitely issues overrated.

Their mission is simple: save the Marvel Universe from its greatest threats and prevent future dangers from arising.

Isn't the premise of Secret Avengers?

Their mission is simple: save the Marvel Universe from its greatest threats and prevent future dangers from arising.

Isn't the premise of Secret Avengers?

Yeah,but that's all the Marvel teams.Throw in the word,hatred and you got an X-team,throw in parole meetings and you got Thunderbolts.

And those new costumes are complete,and total,shit.

Basing my opinion on nothing other than that linked article and the two pictures, I'd say that looks awful.

The costumes look terrible; the white is just too stark, the logo on the front looks like they could have picked 3 of any symbol and arranged them in a pattern (granted, it may have a particular symbolism in the comic, but I'm on the outside looking in), the panels on the sleeves are just pointless decoration, and Spidey just looks sooo wrong in white. And it'll be a nightmare to keep clean.

But then, I'm not an FF fan, so my (ill-informed) opinion's not worth much anyway (although, the fact that they're trying to draw non-FF readers in means maybe it is).

My reckoning is 12-18 months before Johnny Storm is resurrected (less if the Future Foundation flops) and it'll be back to business as usual.

Morrison/Quitely...highly overrated.*

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you somehow just forgot to include Flex Mentallo, JLA: Earth 2, WE3, and at least a couple of the New X-Men arcs they collaborated on and the first three issues of Batman & Robin in the exempted-due-to-obvious-brilliance list. Right? It's OK, we all overlook things sometimes :wink:

Can't argue with the bit about delays and abbreviated run/replacement artists, but I don't think that makes the actual Morrison/Quitely issues overrated.

Yup I did read all those but, they just didn't do much for me. They were ok. Different strokes and all that.

The costumes of FF are growing on me!

Flex Mentallo didn't do it for you?

Careful there. I always thought you had good taste, don't make me rethink that! :laugh:

I love the other books mentioned, because it's hard not to make me love a Morriron comic, but I'd say the rest of the stories Mark mentioned are some of Morrison's weakest projects, or at least conceptually.

Rak beat me to it! he he

Yes, that's every Marvel team. So right.

Well, that at least explains why the ads for the relaunch read "FF".

I thought they were still going to call the book Fantastic Four even though the selling point is that it's now a Fantastic Three.

Yeah, it is a bad name for a mainstream comic book.

Although it ties into the over-reaching plot of Hickman's run.

Fantastic Force...there's just too many bad memories linked with that name.

Ah yes, remember the '90s? Fantastic Force, X-Force, Force Works...

I was hoping for Fantastic Fantabulators...but that was probably me alone.

Fantastic Fictionauts would be cool...but sadly rarely applies to post-1970s FF stories.