Sign in to follow this  
Kejoxen

Suggestions

If the person was totally unaware of comic books, but was an avid reader, I think something like The Rabbi's Cat would work very well as a first taste.

Is anyone aware of the French writer Jean Van Hamme's work? He did the series of Thorgal and the amazing La Grand Pouvoir de Chninkel - a pure comic book gold. Chninkel is one story, about 150 pages or so, with divinely beautiful art Grzegorz Rosinski.. Thorgal is a series o30 48 page tomes, it's perfect until tome 16 or 17, highly recommended if you can get it.

I've not seen either of those. Is he the guy who did Valerian?

How Loathsome

Hometown! I think that's a great choice. I also think I would put that one on my list to get a girl into comics. I love that book. Bought the hardcover.

Similar to Mark, I read Watchmen before I really got into comics. It was my first "adult" comic I ever bought and read. My aunt flipped out when I brought it home and she saw "mature readers" so she read it first before I could. I bought it and had to wait 4 days while she got around to reading it. Here's the kicker. It's the only comic she ever read and she loved it. Told me it had many things I wouldn't get until I was older.

I got my girlfriend to read her first comic with R. Crumb's work.

I threw in a few Alan Moore shorts also.

She liked them both and finds a lot of creativity in comic writer's imaginations, but while she's not opposed to reading comics, she still doesn't read comics.

The Books of Magic (Gaiman's original miniseries)

Fables and Reflections

Watchmen

The Dark Knight Returns

something a little funnier than above (previous Bone/Asterix suggestions work)

I should mention that these four got me hooked to comics (along with a handful of others). I enjoyed the hell out of them without having much of a clue who Constantine or Morpheus were.

Love & Rockets: Locas

Love & Rockets: Palomar (I can't choose between the brothers: Palomar is more consistently at an awesome level, but the later parts of Locas with Death Of sppedy, etc. are just amazing).

Bone complete edition

Tintin - Secret Of The Unicorn/Rackham's Treasure or the Rocket to the Moon/Men on the Moon storylines.

Daytripper (really, I can think of no other recent book that is so good)

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the comics I read that got me into comics.

Watchmen

X-men

Spider-Man (when McFarlane was drawing it)

The Dark Knight Returns

Camelot 3000

(in my teenaged years, those were the bomb)

I've not seen either of those. Is he the guy who did Valerian?

I had to google, but no, not the same guy. Check out some of the images for Thorgal

My link

it's a great series, tells a story of a child who is found by a Viking ship in a strange capsule floating on the ocean. He has some metal in his hands that is unknown to anyone, and it is pretty soon revealed that he was born on a spaceship. He comes from a race of humans who evolved and left the Earth long time ago.. he is not the only one who survived thou, one of the survivors became a tyrant in some South American country, using his technology to act as a god.. really cool adventure story full of Norse mythology

found the English version, here are some previews

My link

Chninkel is a more mature-themed, epic story.. it's hard to describe it, you won't regret reading if you track it down and read it.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the comics I read that got me into comics.

Watchmen

X-men

Spider-Man (when McFarlane was drawing it)

The Dark Knight Returns

Camelot 3000

(in my teenaged years, those were the bomb)

X-Men got me hooked on comic books. This was back in the early-80s, and Claremont's run was at its hottest.

My how things have changed! I'd say X-Men from the last 15 years would be the last book I'd try to get someone hooked on comics.

I only read Marvel books and every so often a Batman comic until I got to high school, when I dropped all comics. Then I started to pick up Spawn when that book started.

When I hit 18, I discovered Sandman.

From there, the doors of Vertigo opened, with Hellblazer. Then Swamp Thing. Then Animal Man.

Then I got addicted to comics and started reading a lot of titles.

Strange Embrace

Black Panther: The Client

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth

The Crow

Fables: Legends in Exile

There's a very serious omission in this thread that I've only just realised: Bryan Talbot isn't mentioned once, as a primer for a non comics reader, Alice In Sunderland is a masterpiece. (The Adventures Of Luther Arkwright is likely to have a lot of appeal to Moorcock fans as well...)