Sign in to follow this  
Christian

You Are Now Leaving Gotham City

A neat list for those obscure character aficionados.

Do all 21 deserve this treatment?

Was there a #22 who deserved to make this list?

Yes, the list isn't the greatest....The Killer Moth was in the Lego Batman video game (I know because I own that game!)....and Calendar Man was rehabilitated by Jeph Loeb (which he does mention)....

He brought up the fact that Clock King got a cool Batman:The Animated Series episode too, but he's still on the list.

Surely #1 is the wrong choice!

Rainbow Beast is awesome though. Now that I know he exists, I want an entire year's worth of Morrison issues to update that story-line. Yeah, like it couldn't happen after what we did see of Morrison's run on Batman!

21 Batman Villains We Probably Won't See in Arkham City:

http://www.1up.com/features/twenty-one-batman-villains-arkham-city

There is an episode of Batman: The Brave & the Bold which features not only the Rainbow Beast, but also the Rainbow Batman. I laughed and laughed. It's ace.

Well...Moth man did get a DCU Classics action figure so...he's got that going for him.

That reminds me, anyone remember The Condiment King from Batman: TAS?

That list was very entertaining, if only because it showed me the extent of babbling acid-induced insanity the creators of Batman have indulged in over the years.

I wouldn't put it past the game designers to make some of the nuttier bat-villains unlockable easter eggs or something like that. Still remember cracking up when i played that old Spider-Man game narrated by Stan lee, and you had his makeshift costume with a paper bag on his head as an unlockable treat.

I'm not sure where to put this, as it's not part of the "New 52" DC, and this was the least off-topic Batman thread I could find (it's my own creation too).

So, recently I have been picking up Batman by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones (on art).

The covers caught my eye and persuaded me to buy a few.

I'm afraid I owe Doug Moench a big apology. He may not be my favourite writer, but he's not as bad as I once considered him, based on my reading of a large (though incomplete) chunk of his writing.

Sure, he still has on average more awful than awesome comic work, but after I stopped reading Batman with the whole "Knightfall" debacle, I never stopped to give Moench anymore chances with the title.

His run does a complete 180 once Jones comes aboard. They take the book in a more Gothic direction, and I dare say that the closest I can compare the Moench/Jones stories is the Engelhart classic.

For someone who takes writing over art, Jones artwork is lovely (as always) and really adds to the story. But, I can't give Jones all the credit, as Moench's stories are actually entertaining and coherent.

Also, on a related but non-Bat themed note, my decision to buy a Doug Moench comic was helped by randomly picking up from the 25cent box the Electric Warriors maxi-series published by DC during the 1980s, which was also written by Moench.

I have to admit that it ranked as my favourite read of the month when I was reading it in August. I rate it as Doug Moench's best work.

Considering that I've found so small of Moench's work worth reading, that might not seem to be saying a lot...but, trust me, it's a good science fiction comic.

Derivative, yes. But, derivative of Brave New World, only with cyborgs...so, if you're going to steal an idea, steal the best.

So, I must say I'm sorry to Doug Moench. You aren't untalented. You have done some good work over the years, it was just over-shadowed by junk.

I remember when the Moench/Jones run first started, I hated it. Rather I hated Kelley Jones' artwork. "that's not how Batman's supposed to look! his ears aren't 2 feet long. He doesn't look like the caped crusader" What can I say? I was young. Now, I have a new appreciation for Jones' Batman work. Like, you said, it is very gothic, playing up more of the horror aspects of the character. He really made Batman scary!!

I really need to read more of this run.