Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Wonder Woman

So the TV show is about a CEO that like Wonder Woman cos-play?

That is all sorts of horrible!

When I first saw that image, I thought it was another fake fan made piece of shit. When I found it wasn't, I uttered "REALLY?" out loud.

The Amazons lived a lusty outdoorsy life. With minimal cloths. Wine is drunk. Wreastling happens often. They are GREEK, demi-gods.

Diana would not have palid, pasty, lifeless, unattractive northern person skin. Nor tiny thin-person arms and legs.

The second photo is very much more the thing.

It looks like a cheap'n'nasty "slutty Wonder Woman" Hallowe'en costume.

It's a poor and unrepresentative photo of the actress. If you Google image search her, she seems quite broad-shouldered and strong-faced. Given that she also scans as a hottie, I can almost completely understand why she was cast.

But she ain't no Lucy Lawless.

*Hits head on keyborad*.

The second picture is what they should have picked if done more realistically.

The costume is a terrible effort. Truly awful, cheap & plastic-y. And what was wrong with red boots, why change them?

But the actress...well, tall enough, sure (5'11" apparently), but she just looks too slightly built for an amazon princess. Perhaps the photo is doing her a disservice, as Jason says, but on this evidence there are too many things wrong about it to get any hopes up.

Yeah, no thanks.

Is that the girl from How I Met your Mother in the second pic? Looks way better.

The actress from How I Met Your Mother is thinner than Adrianne Palicki if anything. So for those saying the latter's too fragile looking for the role, Cobie Smulders wouldn't be much better. Too bad the second pic's a photoshop job!

The problem's the costume - Mark hit the nail on the head with his description.

I have no opinion on Palicki one way or the other. The picture I posted was meant to illustrate how I think a Wonder Woman costume could work on the screen.

It's an awful costume, and looks cheap, uncomfortable and impractical. It looks about a size too small for one thing, and like the seams might split if Diana actually fought someone. I'm not a big fan of the Photoshop one either, but it's a lot better.

It looks about a size too small for one thing, and like the seams might split if Diana actually fought someone.

This may very well have been intentional

My linkhttp://www.thesuperficial.com/adrianne-palicki-wonder-woman-costume-filming-03-2011

Filming photos, apparently. Note that the costume she's wearing there is quite emphatically not the one shown in that promo photo - they've changed the leggings to a more muted colour in matte fabric, the books are now red, and the high heels are gone. It's a...fairly huge improvement, actually. The bodice is still a bit gloss for my tastes, and the 'gold' trim looks rather too plasticky - in still photos, at least - but then again, if they put Wonder Woman in a costume which actually looked good, they'd hardly be accurately capturing the true essence of the comic book character, would they? Fidelity to the source, people.

Still no idea if the show's likely to be any good - I'll watch it if it gets decent reviews, ignore it if it doesn't - but the costume is significantly less awful than the first promo photo made it look. Odd how that keeps on happening, isn't it? A cynical mind might begin to suspect that the studios are deliberately releasing ugly, unrepresentative photographs to get loads of press attention - controversy sells, and a "superhero fans declare jihad against new TV show/film" headline is easier to market than "fans think costume is pretty much OK, on the whole". Then they get to reap the benefit of all the goodwill they get when the real thing turns out to look perfectly alright after all.

No, that would just be silly.