Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

The 50 best covers of 2010

Great stuff! I was hoping to see some stuff from Dave Johnson's Punisher covers. I think they could have picked a better representation but no biggie.

Good stuff, but I think The Unwritten should have been on that list. Some really good covers in that series.

Oops, sorry about that, I must have scrolled past it... :blush:

Peter Gross always does amazing cover work.

His most inspired work on the Books of Magic was just beautiful.

Lucifer had a lot of my favourite covers on the rack during the period that it ran.

And now, same with Unwritten.

Pete Gross doesn't do the covers for Unwritten. Unless he does special ones he shows only to you, complaining bitterly that DC won't pay him for them.

What is this, the "say bullshit about Unwritten covers" thread?

What is this, the "say bullshit about Unwritten covers" thread?

Umm, I don't think my comment that they're "really good" counts as bullshit. :hattip:

Peter Gross always does amazing cover work.

His most inspired work on the Books of Magic was just beautiful.

Did he do any BoM covers? I thought it was all Kaluta (who did some amazing work btw).

Hmm, maybe it was what Christian was saying (Charles Vess and Michael Kaluta on BoM), but I read his comments about Unwritten and Lucifer (Fegredo, Moeller, Kaluta) having good covers. But perhaps it was a misKalutacation.

I think he was saying "While Lucifer was on the shelves it had some of my favourite covers of all the books on the shelves at that time, and now, while Unwritten is on the shelves, it also has some of my favourite covers of the books on the shelves at this time".

but maybe I am reading too much into his words.

:)

The mystery goes on...

I actually did think the really nice late Books of Magic covers that I found so stunning were by Gross.

The first 50 issues of BoM also had some of the most stunning covers of the time, but I was trying to work BoM into a discussion that covered Mike Carey titles (Unwritten and Lucifer)...and I thought the connection was that Gross (who collaborates with Carey on Unwritten and Lucifer) was doing covers during his tenure writing BoM, but I seem to be totally mistaken.

Looking at the covers, yeah, it is very much Kaluta...

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=12394011978%2072

Or, maybe I'm just trying to mess with all of JasonT's threads....

Use more Mathamatics then.

Aussies can't count past 20 without taking down their trousers.

:)

True. It's not that we're innumerate, it's just that the count of 20 is the longest we can go without being pestered for sex by supermodels.

Christian: don't mess with my threads, player. :smile:

Wait a second! Oh, that's a variant cover on Heroes for Hire. I was going to say that wasn't a cover from this year. First time I saw it.

Marvel is using so many painted covers for their books now, and I'm a sucker for painted covers.

I wonder how much they're paying for those painted covers? Speaking generally, there's a crapload of work in them.

I wonder how much they're paying for those painted covers? Speaking generally, there's a crapload of work in them.

Years ago Glen Fabry told me he could make as much as $2,000 for each cover, if that can be used as a sort of measuring stick. WHen I told him that was a pretty sweet gig he was sort of down on it, muttering something like 'yeah, if that was all i wanted to do.'. Sorry, man, didn't mean to step on your artistic integrity.

That seems like a decent rate of pay. Hard to believe there's enough return on comics these days for the publishers to shell out two grand for a cover piece.

No wonder the f*cking things cost an arm and a leg to buy. :smile:

Some wonderful stuff there. Didn't see Tim Bradstreet, did he take a year off from doing cover-work? What is he doing these days, other than making films with Tom Jane?

Dunno but he's coming to a con here in MI so I'll be sure to see what he's up to. I think a lot of film stuff.