A. Heathen

Rebooting John Constantine

11 members have voted

1. 1. If they are going to bring a "younger" Constantine to the DCU, he should be aged ...

• 50ish
    • 40ish
    • 30ish
    • 20ish (and I hereby hand in my right to post on this forum)
  2. 2. If they do not want Hellblazer to tell stories of a 58 year old man with a 20 something chick, they should ...

• Spend ten years or so telling flashback stories & supporting case tales
    • Also reboot the character's age
  3. 3. Actually, I have another cleverer suggestion

• Which I will explain below
    • But I am keeping it secret to sell to DC
  4. 4. What key timeline landmarks from Hellblazer should be rebooted?

• The punk thing (eg he's from the grunge / rave scene)
    • The Thatcher stories (eg replace her with Blair)
    • The wedding to Epiphany :-P
    • The leather trenchcoat
    • other

I was reading the ranting on the Bleeding Cool thread, because that sort of thing cheers me up because I am much more tongue in cheek and droll.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?40507-John-Constantine-To-Return-To-The-DC-Universe/

One chap makes an interesting suggestion which most of you already know my solution for (and if you don't it's in one of the poll questions above). http://charlesskaggs.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-time-to-reboot-hellblazers-john.html

Do we have the multiple Earths these days?

Anyone truly offended can imagine we have different dimensions, just like Shade & that young Constantine from earlier in MIlligan's run.

Earth 35 sounds good for the Vertigo universe.

I want to see a teenage Constantine. Constantine:The Teenage Years.

In fact, they could do the same thing they did with Tony Stark at the end of Iron Man vol. 1.

They need to get Terry Kavanagh to write it though, as only Kavanagh could understand the intricacies that went into de-aging Tony Stark.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Anthony_Stark_(Earth-96020)

Nope, don't like this one bit. I have the same feeling I had before Constanteen came out.

Nope, don't like this one bit. I have the same feeling I had before Constanteen came out.

Which means this will be nothing but a blip on the radar, and everything will work out just fine.

DCU Constantine should be 30-ish, if they actually want to have a clean break rather than being deliberately vague. Resetting his age in Hellblazer itself is inevitable if the series goes on for another 20 years, but there's plenty of ways to do that without winding back time. A 60/70-something man in a young man's body, watching his mates die of old age rather than gruesome murder, has a bit of mileage in it I think. I expect the series will be cancelled before then though.

A 60/70-something man in a young man's body, watching his mates die of old age rather than gruesome murder, has a bit of mileage in it I think. I expect the series will be cancelled before then though.

One of the reasons i thought James Robinson might be a good choice writing the DCUstantine - that angle kinda reminded me of his Starman work (both of Shade and Ted Knight)

In the main title can it be argued, or has it been said, that the demon blood keeps John fresh and young looking?

Diggle had a line about it, yeah.

A 60/70-something man in a young man's body, watching his mates die of old age rather than gruesome murder, has a bit of mileage in it I think. I expect the series will be cancelled before then though.

One of the reasons i thought James Robinson might be a good choice writing the DCUstantine - that angle kinda reminded me of his Starman work (both of Shade and Ted Knight)

Still haven't read that. I heard the trades were all fucked up..?

I think they absoluted them, so if there was anything wrong with it, that would fix it. As far as i know, they just pulled some of the standalone issues and packaged them together but the main arcs are fine. You really need to read this book, it's great.

The trades excluded some stories, and were reprinting them in Times past trades, or simply ignoring them, but you should get the Absolutes, they are marvelous, or simply I **cough* know a guy who can hook you up with the digital version of all the relevant issues in pedantic reading order (Starman had some overlap with other miniseries and similar stuff, which they included in the Absolutes).

Well I'm a bit skint right now so I won't jump on the bandwagon just yet. Also, I don't want to lug a bunch of hard-copies around China so I might hang fire for now. At least I know that it's an option.

While I'm sure James is more than capable to find Starman online on his own, I'd just like to offer this fairly comprehensive reading order, obsessively tweaked and fine-tuned by me at the peak of my Starman madness :

waitingintheskyy.jpg

Thinking about it, those single issue downloads maybe the way to go, the letter columms were sometimes the best part of an outstanding book, and they haven't been reprinted i don't think. Was the Shade's Journal entries every collected?

Dunno if The Shade's Journals were all collected, though the middle TPB's were quite heavy on them. The letter column was indeed, as with The Invisibles, an integral part of the book.