Christian

Brightest Day #24 - SPOILERS

I know there's really already two threads about this topic, but I thought I'd make sure that the Event itself was prominently displayed for all completists.

I just got home with my stack of comics and I noticed I had just paid $4.99 for Brightest Day #24 (a series that has been $2.99 up until this point).

Wondering why the hell I spent that on a comic I didn't really enjoy, even on with Swamp Thing on the cover, I decided to flip through and see why it was so pricey.

Lo and behold, there it was on the last two pages of the book. Ol' You-Know-Who is back.

IT happens in Brightest Day #24, once again.

Mind, it is just the last two pages of the issue. There's about 5 words worth of dialogue (one of those words is "Bollocks").

It's also a double-sized book, so DC isn't just charging that much because they know a character named JC showing up the week after Eastre is going to bring in the big bucks.

Bollocks, indeed

That art is just all wrong for Constantine.

So, can we say that one of the three main reasons* for "Brightest Day" is bringing JC back to the DCU? Yes, we can.

*The other two being the return of Swamp Thinng to the DCU and setting up a new Aquaman series

It seems that it's setting up a lot of new upcoming series.

There's dangling plots for Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, and Firestorm also.

I think they were trying to go back to the Bissette & Totleben days on J.C.

As if none of Hellblazer ever happened...Ah, a delightful dream...

I just noticed. Does it look like John has a pencil mustache? That looks wrong.

Bollocks indeed. Me no likey this, so far. Hope it brings new readers to HB trades, hope we get some good goofy mileage from the potential (inevitable?) Zatanna/Guy Gardner/Wildcats hijinks, but that'd have to be written by someone who'd get a bit deeper into his character. I kinda hoped that JC would say something along the lines of "The ole grass-bugger has returned" or something like that, this

"<<INSERT CLICHED STATEMENT>>. <<INSERT CODENAME>> returns? <<INSERT CHARACTER-SPECIFIC CATCHPHRASE>>."

approach doesn't really look like Geoff Johns made a huge effort writing the dialog.

And speaking of old crazy favorites returning: ROGAN! Nice to see ya

Yes, JC looks like some young punk that can't quite grow proper facial hair. John should have permanent 5 o'clock shadow, like Dr House

Don't know about the amount of stubble - it seems to me they're trying out the Moore-flashy git version of JC, who was mostly impeccably dressed (we won't mention the white MJ gloves) and cleanly shaven. Either way, it's off, but let's not complain about his facial hair, it'll be "fans are upset over the color of his coat" argument all over again.

Cheers, Shawn, glad to be back.

Yeah, the thin moustache and the raised pinky sort of bother me but I've been drinking my Haterade.

I must admit, there is something to be said about the DC Constantine, the smarmy, young, snappy-dressed man-in-the-shadows, what he'll lack in character depth, he'll compensate with his one-upmanship when confronted with The Spectre, Lex Luthor and the like. Wish they'd lose the stubble and commit to him being neat, tidy, all about the image (and misdirection). And if you want to peek beneath his facade, then head over to Hellblazer.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know if Punisher MAX was ever advertised in the regular Marvel-U books?

That art is just all wrong for Constantine.

Looks fine to me. (Andy Diggle should love it too. :wink:)

There's just as much precedent for Constantine being a slick operator as for being a scruffy underdog. I prefer the former.

For those who need to see 5 o'clock shadow, it's there in the closeup ciggy-lighting panel. The artist has just left it off the splash panel.

Nice effect on Swamp Thing's speech balloons.

when confronted with The Spectre

And I would buy that comic.

Oh, so would I, don't get me wrong. I just hope that his DC appearances will be written by... dunno...? Cornell? Simone? Dini? Willingham? Would love it if Morrison brought him in for a page or two of Batman Inc.

Hm. This looks like a job for a STH poll!

GASP! That would be sweet. One of my favorite comics ever was when Swamp Thing put a stranglehold on Gotham. And then I believe the po-po hired Luthor to try and get rid of him.

Yeah, that bit of Moore's Swamp Thing was truly some epic DCU stuff. I'm afraid that they'll try to tap into that, but editorially mandated, and it'll lack the spark that it had the first time 'round. Still, wherever JC pops up, I'll be there, reading. I'm a DC bitch anyway.

Don't know about the amount of stubble - it seems to me they're trying out the Moore-flashy git version of JC, who was mostly impeccably dressed (we won't mention the white MJ gloves) and cleanly shaven. Either way, it's off, but let's not complain about his facial hair, it'll be "fans are upset over the color of his coat" argument all over again.

Cheers, Shawn, glad to be back.

Very true,

Can someone post every appearance he makes in this thread to save me reading it in the comic shop?

I have tried these books recently and do not wish to try them again.

John should have permanent 5 o'clock shadow, like Dr House

Actually, no. He's mostly been quite particular about his shaving.

The moustache though... UGH!

As JasonT points out, it's clearly supposed to be stubble, as shown in the previous page's close-up panels. I'll agree that it's awkwardly rendered in the final splash page, but it (a) doesn't matter that much anyway, and (b) again, isn't actually a moustache at all.

As to everything else about this? M.E.H. I wasn't interested in Brightest Day before it included Swamp Thing and Constantine, and I'm not interested now either. I'll second Ade's request that someone who's actually reading this stuff keep us up-to-date on how the character's being used, because my curiosity is piqued to that extent, but not to the extent of actually wanting to read any of the contemporary DCU books in which he's likely to appear.

That said, I won't complain if he turns up in one of the tiny handful of super-books I'm actually reading anyway, mainly because Grant Morrison writing a Batman & John Constantine team-up, or Gail Simone facing him off against the Secret Six, could be a lot of fun.

That said, I won't complain if he turns up in one of the tiny handful of super-books I'm actually reading anyway, mainly because Grant Morrison writing a Batman & John Constantine team-up, or Gail Simone facing him off against the Secret Six, could be a lot of fun.

I'd like to see him in 'Batman Inc' getting recruited as THE BATMAN OF SOUTH LONDON, aka BATTYMAN.

I'd like to see him in 'Batman Inc' getting recruited as THE BATMAN OF SOUTH LONDON, aka BATTYMAN.

I doubt the bisexual story is part of his DCU continuity. Howabout Blackmann Inxxx ?

I love it. All for Constantine in the DCU and really like the rendering, even if the stubble's a bit clumsy.

Granted, every non-Morrison/Cornell/Simone DCU book I try these days is awful so I'm not getting too excited, but I still think it's cool to see JC in the DCU.

Of course, now I have to add 'Brightest Day' to the HB wiki, and probably start a new Constantine timeline.

Please do start a new timeline for youngsters who may be confused.

Or else before too long we will need another Crisis to collapse it all into one "Universe" again.

I suggest you create a junction at January 1988 or thereabouts.

Yeah, I think I'll have to create a new bunch of biographies and timelines to represent the all-new DC Constantine, but I'll wait to see what background details they give this post-post-post-Crisis one first.