Rogan

Who would you like to see writing JC in the DCU?

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be putting words in John

• Paul Cornell
    • Grant Morrison
    • Geoff Johns
    • Gail Simone
    • Paul Dini
    • Bill Willingham
    • James Robinson
    • Judd Winnick
    • JMS
    • Keith Giffen
    • Matt Sturges
    • Gray/Palmiotti
    • just give Milligan a supernatural DCU title/have him advise other writers like Gaiman does for the Endless
    • Greg Rucka
    • Scott Snyder
    • Anyone but <<INSERT NAME>>
    • Other - please specify

So, who would you like to see writing JC's dialogue in the coming months/years...?

(I tried covering as many good and/or high-profile writers currently or recently working in the DCU)

I'm pretty sure Pete Milligan's current Hellblazer run takes place in the DCU. Please.

I voted for Paul Cornell because he deserves a shot at it.

Grant Morrison and Greg Rucka should be writing Vertigo Hellblazer, not Hellblazer Lite.

Of all those, I found Rucka to be the one that stuck out. That would be interesting. I wouldn't have thought to include him but now that you mentioned it, he's the most compelling name of that list to me, though I agree with Jason Rucka would be best served on a Vertigo platter than a DCU one.

Forgot to mention - the poll is multiple choice, if you can't decide on a single author. I tried to keep it plausible, so no Marvel names (such as Carey, Millar, etc.), or people who are doing their creator owned stuff elsewhere (like Kirkman), and of course, i eliminated the unlikeliest suspects (Austen, Gaiman, Moore...)

I got that it was MC. I also picked Morrison and...one other but now I've forgotten who that was.

So, who would you like to see writing JC's dialogue in the coming months/years...?

(I tried covering as many good and/or high-profile writers currently or recently working in the DCU)

Welcome back to the forum!

I voted Morrison (though I'd rather see him on the main title proper), Cornell (great writer, could see him having fun with the character), Simone (consistently excellent) and Rucka (would have loved a JC Gotham Central issue). Though in this ideal world there would be a Brit who'd check the Americans' dialogue before it went to press...

Hey, James! Glad to be back, and to jump in the HB talk at such a fun time to speculate.

I voted before i read that it was multiple choice, so i'll add Cornell to my Morrison vote. I think James Robinson would be an interesting choice too, though he's so hit or miss lately. Also, Gail Simone might do a good job.

as far as who should stay away, Geoff Johns, though i generally like him and Judd Winnick who's work i don't like at all.

I can't believe that Geoff Johns has written John Constantine...I never expected to see the day.

I'd vote for Paul Cornell as my first choice. I think he'd do a good job.

Of course I want to see Morrison using JC for something, but I don't know how much Morrison cares to use him.

An outside choice is Jimmy Palmiotti. I could just see a DC Hellblazer series that is an exact copy of the Jonah Hex series, only in the present. A never-ending series of one-shot stories as John wanders aimlessly in modern Britain, coming across wrongs to right, and doing so in a cold-blooded, bad-ass manner while keeping his heart of gold.

Sure, Palmiotti would never be able to get John's voice correct, but the Jonah Hex format would solve that. John would be a gruff strong, silent type...concerned with boozing and sexing, not talking.

Oh, and thinking about it, JC showing up in Secret Six for a story-arc is a natural.

JMS did want to use J.C. for Brave & the Bold, at a point when Vertigo characters were still mostly off-limits. But, he got bored writing that book last year and decided not to bother, so we probably still won't see that story come to light. Darn.

Winnick would be my last choice. Absolutely awful.

I don't really have a problem with John being in the DCU, I'm not even that bothered by who writes him, just so long as he is used as little as possible. Just a story here and there, and rarely from his point of view. He should just be stepping in here and there and messing with people's heads, and maybe nailing Zatanna every now and then.

I think that they're already messing up straight out the gate with this "Search for Swamp Thing" being written from his perspective. Also handing it off to Vankin might be a bit of a worry. But I guess like most of us here I just want to see the man written by someone we know would be decent. With that in mind I voted for Paul Cornell.

I think whether or not JC gets used to great effect in the DCU is going to fall more to the editors than to the writers.

I didn't vote for Cornell for the very same reason some people didn't vote for Morrison/Rucka - i expect him to take over Hellblazer for a few years after Milligan, for example, which is something I don't think we'd ever see from those other guys.

I didn't vote for Cornell for the very same reason some people didn't vote for Morrison/Rucka - i expect him to take over Hellblazer for a few years after Milligan, for example, which is something I don't think we'd ever see from those other guys.

Can it be next year? Not really digging Milligan's turn

David Hine!

Met him today, and he struck me as the perfect man for the job.

http://sci-fi-london.com/festival/2011/programme/event/comics-sci-fi-london-day-two

(He was on a panel discussing "Small Press to Mainstream comics". A later panel had Denise Mina & China Mieville along with artists Alice Duke and Mark Stafford discussing Poe & Lovecraft. Two people I'd like to see writing Hellblazer (and, I'd say give Mina another go if she wanted). Amused by Mieville's thoughts on Hollywood adaptations "Hey Chinna Mivelly, we'd like to adapt your film". Hellblazer came up in the general chat:

Asked about taking on existing character.

DM "I did it just for the love of comics. I could not believe it. And the idea that with Hellblazer anything could happen.

I didn't think anyone would notice. Many writer friends thought I was broke. Not if they'd seen how much I was being paid!"

Alex Fitch mentioned that at the Hellblazer panel, they'd been sniffy about novelists taking on comics (NB Alex, Andy Diggle was not).

DM "They thought they'd open up the readership. I think they meant Ian Rankin."

CM: "I would say Hellblazer: pissy left wing urban magician ... I'm an easy mark for that."

Both were anxious & unsure if they could write for comics.

Alex's two panels were excellent, as was the small press one.

I voted for Paul Cornell as well. For something of an idea of what it might be like, just see Captain Britain & MI-13

I'd be interested in seeing what Geoff Johns would do with Constantine, his creator-owned supernatural title at Image was rubbish but I've enjoyed his Green Lantern stuff.

I'd say give Mina another go if she wanted

Me too. There was enough she got right to warrant a new go, IMHO. She's a great writer, and I'm sure she could be one for HB too. Maybe do it like Rankin though, a self-contained separate story, rather than a monthly.

But do you think Mina would manage to work within the DCU confines, with (greater) editorial input?

But do you think Mina would manage to work within the DCU confines, with (greater) editorial input?

No idea. For the DCU job I prefer Morrison.