Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Superman Renounces American Citizenship

I'll admit that my first reaction was not favorable but thinking on it more, it makes sense from a story telling stand point. I'm almost surprised it wasn't the President asking him to do it for the exact same reasons Superman has for doing it.

I knew he was an alien all along!

If he wasn't, why wouldn't he show his birth certificate?

He can't be president now!

Donald Trump was right about Superman!

Oh wait...Nevermind.

Is it me or is this a storm in a teacup, and there is little chance that they were planning to expand upon that story? 'Course, now they might go for a follow-up?

Best part : the term "Earthers" being bandied around.

One thing though. He is an American by birth, upbringing, and family ties. If he can get his mind around renouncing all of that ( renouncing Mr and Mrs Kents raising him in the very best American tradition, all the teachings and striving he saw as a child as the USA at least TRIED to be the light of the world, all the real good a country of freedom worshipping people achieved together ) for some "Greater good", who is to say that he wouldn't , later, have exactly the same justification for renouncing Earth citizenship?.

To me, he, and Captain America were always examples, a kind of hopeful self image, of the best aspects of my loved cousins, The American people.

A fair deal.

Service.

Justice.

Truthfulness.

strength.

The UN is a compromise, it doesn't really offer a grounded replacement for the aspirations of the US. Sure, they fall short when it is business or the government making pragmatic decisions, but Superman isn't that way, he is a symbol, and it is an American one. How could he help being what he is?. Why should he want to, the story makes it clear that he acts because of other peoples misunderstanding of his action, well, people are dumb, or pretend to be, so even if he does carry out his plan, what is to stop Iran or anyone else still misunderstanding ( wilfully or otherwise ) anyway?.

crikey, what next?.

I don't like it.

I took it more as a gesture of good will, saying "Will you doubt my actions less, will you let me help you now?"

And i don' think he's renouncing Ma and Pa Kent, I'm sure Clark will keep his citizenship.

Is it me or is this a storm in a teacup, and there is little chance that they were planning to expand upon that story? 'Course, now they might go for a follow-up?

Best part : the term "Earthers" being bandied around.

Oh, that rules!

"Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eerie metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide," Hollywood publicist and GOP activist Angie Meyer told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.

There you have it, proof that you don't need to be male to be a wanker.

Incidentally, Superman writer Paul Cornell is English, so he could very well be expected to have "a blatant lack of patriotism" for the USA.

I'm slightly curious as to how Supes is going to renounce his citizenship — addressing the UN would only serve as a PR announcement, it'd have no effect on his US citizenship. If he even has any.

One thing though. He is an American by birth, upbringing, and family ties.

Well, exactly.

But he's hardly a "patriotic icon", though I guess a lot of US soldiers are reading his exploits - didn't Marvel have some sort of deal with the US army?

Well, exactly.

He's really a small country town Kansas native by upbringing and family.

Yes, Americans are all raised in the exact same way. We all share the exact same values and traditions.

Kansas, Texas, California, New York, Alabama...city or country...All one big brainwashed mass.

Vonnegut had that whole granfalloon concept in his book Cat's Cradle.

(This isn't a direct reply to you, Red. I don't think that was implied.)

God, the faster this artifically stitched together mess breaks up into warring nation-States the better...

DC is preparing for that day, because Massachusetts patriots won't want to read about the exploits of a Kansas national.

I took it more as a gesture of good will, saying "Will you doubt my actions less, will you let me help you now?"

And i don' think he's renouncing Ma and Pa Kent, I'm sure Clark will keep his citizenship.

Well, shite Rogan, you obviously don't understand this whole nationalism and American thing!

You can't love your family if you don't have the proper citizenship!

Once you leave America you become an American-hating, anti-Christian, totalitarian Muslim zealot, don't you know?

"Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eerie metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide," Hollywood publicist and GOP activist Angie Meyer told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.

There you have it, proof that you don't need to be male to be a wanker.

Incidentally, Superman writer Paul Cornell is English, so he could very well be expected to have "a blatant lack of patriotism" for the USA.

I'm slightly curious as to how Supes is going to renounce his citizenship — addressing the UN would only serve as a PR announcement, it'd have no effect on his US citizenship. If he even has any.

There's the story I want to see!

As the Tea Party Republicans turn from "The man brining democracy to the world" to "evil, foreign, Commie-Islamic scum".

Wait till they find out he voted for Clinton and Obama in elections...

Deporting his ass to Mexico. Why Mexico? Yeah, well...

Sexist swine! ; )

No, people are making far too huge a deal out of this.

Don't people remember that Captain America gave up his citizenship twice?

The guy who drapes himself in an American flag and who isn't an illegal alien.

First after Watergate, he became Nomad, the "man without a country", who had no citizenship. That was the only time I've really enjoyed the Capt. America comic, by the way. Written by Steven Engelhart. Collected in Essential Captain America vol. 4. Hint, hint.

Then, in the '80s, the federal government wanted to use Captain America as a patriotic face for jingoism and federalism, which led Cap to give up his citizenship and become The Captain. He claimed he represented all the things that he felt made the United States great still, but that he didn't represent any State and that the federal government didn't represent the things that he represented. Something like that...I forget all the details.

The feds created the USAgent character to replace Rogers, as "the real American hero", I remember that.

I'd think that'd be a bigger deal, but Superman is the more well-known character.

It's well known that Kal is an Illuminati secret agent who is trying to foster Kryptonian religion and moral values on American children anyway...Good riddance!

Well, exactly.

Bwahahaha. Did I really type that?.

When is Clark/Kal/Supes going to come out? It's very obvious how confused he is about his sexuality. He has a hot trick like Lois throwing her girlie parts all over him and still doesn't give her all his lovin', all his hugs and kisses too? Not that there's anything wrong with that...(Rogan, you Seinfelded me in that other thread, damn yer eyes!)

But yeah, Superman is gay, I have Gaydar ( don't ask me how I got it, it was delivered to the wrong address and I was try-curious). And Clark plunks like a submarine sonar on it. If I could Photoshop the image in my mind, I would win money, I'm sure of it!

Well, I can't speak to that. I would like to say however, that this whole "walking across America" sounds like the dumbest, most ill-conceived storyline in some time. I would have thought they'd never gone along with something like that when Superman must be a difficult book to bring new readers onto anyway.

Also, what's up with Straczinsky jumping ship on all these supposedly high-profile massive storylines he starts?