Sign in to follow this  
Rogan

Ultimates v. 4.0

So, Jonathan Hickman and Esad "my-artwork-is-motherlovin'-gorgeous" Ribic are rebooting the Ultimates :

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/02/jonathan-hickman-and-esad-ribic-to-relaunch-the-ultimates/

Is it wrong of me that I'm excited, for the first time in a long long while, about an Ultimate Marvel comic?

It'll be good. Hickman's got the chops to pull of something grand I reckon, based on Ultimate Thor, (and all his other stuff).

The Ultimate Universe has been pretty shit since Ultimatum.

(I still think Ultimate Spider-Man is good though)

I've heard nothing but praise for Hickman,and Ribic is just amazing.I'm sold.

Count me in the club of folks,who haven't given half a crap,about the Ultimate line in years.

I really loved the 1st two Ultimates stories and the Utimate Spider-Man books but will likely not but into a 'reboot', especially one without Captain America.

"We’re building a cohesive universe where all of the Ultimate books will be playing off one another very closely."

...means, almost certainly, that I'm not interested. Shame, Hickman seems like a good writer, and the Millar/Hitch Ultimates is one of my favourite modern superhero books. But these days, more than ever, I'm just after a focused, self-contained story from the comics I read - line-wide cohesion isn't on my list of priorities, and I generally find it more likely to hinder than enhance my reading pleasure.

It's been what, 10 years since they started the Ultimate line in order to bring in new readers who are afraid of being bogged down by continuity?

Maybe they should just close the book on the Ultimate Universe and start a whole new one.

That's why they started the line? I thought it was an attempt to pander to a readership that mistakes abrasiveness for maturity and sophisticated characterization.

And if you think about it the Ultimate universe has become bogged down with its own continuity. I really don't see the need for the Ultimate-verse at all.

I've a better idea; take Bendis off "The Avengers" and let Hickman have that.

Yeah...

No, the Ultimate line was certainly started to be a place of easy access to new readers that Marvel expected to pick up when they started their move line. A completely new start to familiar characters.

Yeah, the problem is that comic lines end up with continuity as time progresses, so the intent of the line got lost relatively quickly.

After Millar left Ultimate X-Men, the book pretty much turned into homages of Chris Claremont stories. Lots of fun for someone like me, and the writing was better than Millar's, but I don't know how well the stories would hold up for any new readers.

By the time the big cross-over events started (Ultimatum), the Ultimate line was effectively dead.

I guess sales had dropped so badly on the books that Marvel felt they had no choice.

I liked Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four though. Kirkman was on X-Men and Carey was on FF, and at that point, UFF was basically the only enjoyable Fantastic Four comic.

Ultimates basically served a different purpose than the other Ultimate titles, but the Ultimates name was dragged through the mud when it went from intermittent minis by Millar to Jeph Loeb.

The facts of Mark's quote show that Marvel still isn't try to actually fix the original intent of their Ultimate line, so my interest in this book is more lacking, but still, I enjoy Hickman.

The Ultimate Thor mini-series by Hickman wasn't bad.

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man had been a surprisingly okay read, so far.

I've a better idea; take Bendis off "The Avengers" and let Hickman have that.

Called it! (sort of :icon_wink: )

And yes, Ultimate Spider-Man has been fairly good. MIles Morales is a great character. However, the book has been bothered by a cross over with other Ultimate books

Yeah, good character, though this current Prez Cap stuff is a bit too much too soon for his development as a young hero.

Hey! Don't diss President 'Merica! He flies his own fighter jet, America is his White House, he needs Secret Service, his cabinet are the Ultimates

That whole thing seems like such a mess, that I'm postponing reading it, since I probably have to go waaaay back and read Ultimate Avengers/New Ultimates/Requiem/Ultimatum/Fallout and such, to see the groundwork (also, is [ Spoiler : Ultimate Reed Richards a supervillain now!? ]).

Can you guys recommend any decent Ultimate universe stuff in the past 3-5 years? I've read Ultimate Thor (an okay read, but nothing spectacular, was a bit light on actual content) and Ultimate Captain America (which was interesting but... odd? Can't really tell if Aaron is trolling the reader, writing UltCapAm as a real nutter [my best bet, for now] or that the point of the series seems so at odds with his work on The Other Side), but I wonder is there anything that should be of interest. Is Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine worth catching up on, now that Lindelof finally finished it? Are Ultimate Armour Wars/Ultimate Human by Ellis decent, or just a quick money grab?

That whole thing seems like such a mess, that I'm postponing reading it, since I probably have to go waaaay back and read Ultimate Avengers/New Ultimates/Requiem/Ultimatum/Fallout and such, to see the groundwork (also, is [ Spoiler : Ultimate Reed Richards a supervillain now!? ]).Can you guys recommend any decent Ultimate universe stuff in the past 3-5 years? I've read Ultimate Thor (an okay read, but nothing spectacular, was a bit light on actual content) and Ultimate Captain America (which was interesting but... odd? Can't really tell if Aaron is trolling the reader, writing UltCapAm as a real nutter [my best bet, for now] or that the point of the series seems so at odds with his work on The Other Side), but I wonder is there anything that should be of interest. Is Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine worth catching up on, now that Lindelof finally finished it? Are Ultimate Armour Wars/Ultimate Human by Ellis decent, or just a quick money grab?

To answer your hidden question: Yes.

Ultimate Armour Wars is definitely a money grab! It's a drawn out, boring mess.

Ultimate Human is ok, but not essential. You'll probably feel like you did after finishing Ultimate Thor reading it.

I read Hickman's run on Ultimates, even though I told myself I was done with the Ultimate Universe. I don't know if there's any more story-lines that use past continuity that you're talking about, but if you're just talking about Cap becoming president, the whole story-line is spelled out during Hickman's run on Ultimates. So, you can just read that to get the story.

I don't know if I'd recommend it. It's not bad....It had some neat sci-fi ideas and was different. I didn't expect the big event that happened to America during the series to actually happen, but it did, which finally set the Ultimate Universe apart as a place where things that would never happen in the mainstream Marvel Universe can take place.

On the other hand, that's basically what happened to the New Universe after the sales plummeted also....

So, anyway, it's not my favourite comic. It starts out like a clone of Authority. But, it does get better and has some neat concepts, and I'd say if you can get it for cheap and you had some spare time and didn't have any other comics that interested you, I'd read Hickman's The Ultimates.

I meant more like, there seems to be a helluva lot of S.H.I.E.L.D. dvelopments with Fury, Carol Denvers, the government, changing team rosters [ Spoiler : ultimate Punisher accidentally kills Spidey? There's an ultimate Blade on some team? Tony Stark has a better, smarter, richer brother? Magneto destroyed most of New York? Most of the older X-men characters are now dead?! people hate mutants now, but are cool with superheroes?! ] plus, a ton of long-burn unresolved plotlines from a bunch of other titles, it would seem, so some of the stuff seems a bit inaccessible to me.

@Kate - ah, that explains a lot, thanks for that summing up, things are much clearer now.

The last Ultimate books I read were the end of vol. 1 of the original Ultimate books.

Well, I read Ultimate Thor, Ultimate Cap issue #1 (and dropped it), and those two Ellis comics also...but let's ignore that.

The point is I stopped being a regular reader when the big cross-overs started, until I picked up Hickman's Ultimates.

Almost zero of your questions concern anything that happened during Hickman's run on Ultimates. Basically, I don't know what you're talking about in the spoilers either, because I haven't been following the Ultimate-line. Yet, I was able to read and understand Hickman's Ultimates.

So, if that's a book you want to read, you will be perfectly fine reading it based on what you know of the Ultimate Universe right now.