Guest spiderlegs

Nightcrawler get his own series...

Guest spiderlegs

First of all, I am not an X-Men fan, per se. I read the title when I was a kid and watched the cartoons, but I'm just not into the overall "superhero" genre of comics (with the exceptions of Batman, Spider-Man, and The Authority/Stormwatch).

BUT, I am a Darick Robertson fan, and for that reason, I picked up NIGHTCRAWLER #1. It was pretty good! It's got a couple of cliche story elements, but the plot is dark (murdered children), it is pretty well paced, and the art (of course) is first rate.

3274_4.jpg

Review

Review

Anyone else pick it up? I will saythat there are too many X-Men getting their own series, but if you want a good one, this one is cool.

I'm so burnt out on "X-Men" books, which is sad for me to say as I've been reading the book since the mid-80s, and use to buy EVERY GOD-DAMNED F'ING X-Book that Marvel shoved down my throat before I discovered the wonders of Vertigo! Then, I only bought the ones I actually had fun reading.

I buy "Uncanny X-Men" even though the book offends my intelligence, due to the fact that when it comes to Uncanny, I'm a collector first.

I'll pick up "X-Men" come the new year when Milligan takes over, because I'd buy almost anything that Milligan wrote.

Besides that, I have a boycott on all X-books. I used to buy "Uncanny", "X-Men", "X-Men Unlimited", and even "X-Treme X-Men" after I discovered Vertigo (well, ok, I bought the "Gambit" series while it lasted also!); but once Marvel decided to over-stock the shelves with X-book after X-book this past year (not to mention the abortion that is Chuck Austen), I decided I had been pushed too far!

I thought about picking it up, much for the same reasons as Tom, but don't really want to be buying another ongoing title at the mo.

I did get that Nightcrawler Icons mini series a wee while back and I enjoyed that though. Again, a slightly dark tone to the book, human trafficking, prostitution, and Kurt's own wrestling with his faith.

Is he still doing that whole "priest" thing? Or has he knocked that on the head?

Guest spiderlegs

I totally agree. I've always thought it would be cool if he drew for HELLBLAZER, but that's just a crack smoking dream. He's tied up with Marvel for the forseeable future. But he totally digs drawing superheroes, so he's getting his kicks, at least.

Is he still doing that whole "priest" thing? Or has he knocked that on the head?

Umm, apparantly he never did the priest thing. I can't remember what actually happened at the moment (not that I understood it at the time) either it was all fake, or in his imagination or something like that. Oh yeah, it was to do with his father being the devil. Ive tried to put a mental block on all things Chuck Austen wrote.

Im very much like Christian, used to get all X-books, now down to one. Nightcrawler used to be my favourite x-man. Sadly Im not picking up this series, there are just too many other things I want to get.

Correct, the whole priest thing was a trick by his devil(literally) father. Kurt is now just staying true to his faith and spreading the word.

I too want no more X-men solo books. It takes away from when a character appears in the core X-men books. It just isnt as special.......Wolverine, I am looking at you especially!

Wait! Are you sure it was the Devil-Mutant Father of Nightcrawler behind it all?! I thought it was the Pope of the "Church of Humanity" that was really behind it. Something about him (later her) brainwashing Kurt?! Wasn't it something about making Kurt the Pope, making the people turn against the Catholic Church because they'd think he was a demon. Then, the religious people would join his (later her) cult because they were the alternative to a religion with a mutant demon thing as Pope?!

God that was an awful and incoherent mess, wasn it?!?!

I'm feeling weak and tired even trying to think about this shite!!! :angry:

My God you may be right. I try hard not to remember Chuck Austen's stories, but they seep in at times. DAMN

But he totally digs drawing superheroes, so he's getting his kicks, at least.

Yeah, can't really begrudge him that.

<Insert picture of Robertson dressed as Robin here>

oh, yes, those pics of him... boy, he sure likes dressing up. That Nightcrawler one always makes me laugh, and then i remember that he got his wish to come true, and he now IS drawing the Nightcrawler series, so the laughter kinda dies out...

what? what'd i do? it was a valid comment! I commented on the coolness factor of the book - good = BAMF, bad = BARF... 2080.jpg

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them"

Twelfth Night, Act II, Sc.5