Shawn

DCU rebirth

The Red Lantern book by Milligan was announced a while back.

DC is obviously following the Marvel route of flooding the market with multiple books starring a main character.

How well has that worked for Marvel? Oh, yes, not very good.

How are all these Bat-titles doing? I doubt most people can even keep up with all the different Bat-books, and most get lost in the shuffle.

Fans get tired of reading too much about a character every month, no matter how much they love that character.

There was a time it would have been ludicrous to imagine that Iron Man could sustain more than one title, but Marvel tried it because of the movies, and now we have one Iron Man comic a month again.

There was a time when there were four Spider Man titles, and it quickly ended up that one of the books got all the attention, and the other books would just be there (suitable for cross-over events), and eventually it got to the point where Marvel couldn't even be bothered to put any quality work into any of the Spider-books.

It's much better to have one strong title for a character (or team) than to try to spread out the quality and hope that fans will continue to spend money on every book that comes out with their favourite character.

The early-90s market is long gone, and with the price of comics and the current economy, things aren't going to pick up again no matter how much a company tries to flood the market.

Also- Not sure if this is true or not but Jonathan Glapion posted this on his wall-

"First announcement of the day: I'll be joining Gregory Capullo on Batman. See you guys in Gotham, it's going to be one hell of a ride!"

Would love to see Greg Capullo's take on Batman!

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/05/dc-relaunch-greg-capullos-cover-to-batman-1/

Swampy in the DCU can be real good, if handled properly. I say they should get Robinson on it, his homage to Swampy's DCU-trotting (especially through space) in Starman was really fun, plus he did some interesting things with Grundy, that tapped into the whole Green-Red-Gray thing.

<<<EDIT>>>

Is Tim Drake (or maybe Jason Todd) the new Nightwing?

Quick comments

- Very happy to see Damian survive the reboot/reload/retcon/restart. Having him & his Dad teaming on a permenant basis just feels right

- Also, having Barbara back as Batgirl is awesome!!

- I LOVE! the Nightwing design. I think it will be Grayson. Just a hunch.

- Snyder writing Batman is a stroke of genius. Tony Daniel writing Detective....not so much. Should be flipped.

Dang it Rogan! You beat me to it! :smile:

While I am greatly disappointed that they are having Scott Lobdell writing Superboy instead of Lemire, that Animal man news makes it better.

Swampy, Animal Man - are DC trying to tap into that golden era (and the mixture of genres) before they shipped off these titles to Vertigo?

Hope that the rebooted DCU titles have greater autonomy, while still being part of a shared universe.

<<<EDIT>>>

New Birds of Prey... with Poison Ivy, Black Canary and...?

Hmmm, so if that's Black Canary, then that just might be Donna Troy in the JLI. And we have Poison Ivy, Canary ...Roulette (from JSA, ran a super-fight club)? and Katana (of the Outsiders)?

Ah, Katana... Did she always have a flag on her head?

"Do you think this sun on my forehead stands for America?"

EDIT :

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/6254655866/its-barbara-gordon-as-batgirl --- Well, let's see how they handle it, but it might cause a fuss if they de-cripple Barbara Gordon.

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/6255781823/nigtwing --- so it's still Dick, though Jason Todd is also getting a Bat-Book.

I like Yanick Paquette's Swamp Thing. Wonder if they got Grant Morrison on that?

And I was v.happy with Jeff Lemire's Animal Man tweet, which came shortly after his "They are making a film based on Essex County" tweet, and his sketchbook which arrived in the post today.

As they are doing the whole reboot thing a bit more consistently than these things usually work, I hope they lay off the crossovers and let the books work in their own right.

I like Yanick Paquette's Swamp Thing. Wonder if they got Grant Morrison on that?

That would be awesome, but I dare not hope. His planetary consciousness/sentient DCU ideas would go so well with the title. Plus, we might get some more Constantine written by him.

Hi did some ST with Millar, ages ago, I believe, but it wasn't very memorable (certainly inferior to their silver-age madness on The Flash)

What's funny about Barbara Gordon regaining the ability to walk, much less be Bat-girl again, is that they made a big deal of her being shot by the Joker in the Killing Joke being a fixed point in time in Booster Gold. Booster tried over and over again to save her, and couldn't. So this is a huge development.

I was skeptical of this reboot at first, but i'll admit to being pretty excited about some of this.

That would be awesome, but I dare not hope. His planetary consciousness/sentient DCU ideas would go so well with the title. Plus, we might get some more Constantine written by him.

Hi did some ST with Millar, ages ago, I believe, but it wasn't very memorable (certainly inferior to their silver-age madness on The Flash)

Yep. Wasn't that the story-line where Alec Holland thought that he dreamed his whole existence as Swamp Thing and he found Abby working in the sex trade in Holland, figuring he had hallucinated his whole relationship with Abby based on a one-night prostitute stand?

Yeah. That's pretty far from Silver Age inanity.

Lemire on Animal Man is about the best news one could hope for.

What's funny about Barbara Gordon regaining the ability to walk, much less be Bat-girl again, is that they made a big deal of her being shot by the Joker in the Killing Joke being a fixed point in time in Booster Gold. Booster tried over and over again to save her, and couldn't. So this is a huge development.

I was skeptical of this reboot at first, but i'll admit to being pretty excited about some of this.

Yeah, same here. Gail Simone on Babsgirl at least promises the whole decrippling will make some sense and will at least try to be respectful to the people who might get offended by the idea.

Maybe when the entire timeline changed in Flashpoint, such fixed points in time got swept away, or never happened so it'll be easier to change it. You know, the old timey-wimey principle. Or maybe Booster's just incompetent. ;)

Yep. Wasn't that the story-line where Alec Holland thought that he dreamed his whole existence as Swamp Thing and he found Abby working in the sex trade in Holland, figuring he had hallucinated his whole relationship with Abby based on a one-night prostitute stand?

Yeah. That's pretty far from Silver Age inanity.

The cover credits seem to drop Morrison just before the whole prostitute storyline starts, but yeah, that's the whole separation of Alec and Swampy bit, and now that I've learned more about the Morrison/Moore feud, the whole Bad Gumbo issue.

Lemire on Animal Man is about the best news one could hope for.

Haven't read Sweet Tooth, but heard nothing but praises, so I'm excited as well.

EDIT :

Batwing #1 - how many Bat-related titles is this, so far?

+

Batman Inc.. to get a 12-issue relaunch in 2012, rounding out Morrison's work on the character.

Hey everyone

Sorry for interrupting the thread, I have certain questions regarding the DC-clean-up-thingy here

namely, I myself am not, and I mean NOT a DC person. (Rogan knows this, but it might be OK to give some input to other people here as well)

when I think about all those continuities, Crises, retcons, multiverses becoming universes, than splitting into multiverses again, whatever....aaaah, crap, no, I get totally discouraged just to look at the DC logo, let anything more than that....

anyway, when I saw this huge clean-up event about to happen, I got very thrilled, thinking "oh, finally, I can begin reading something of this stuff" :D

however....I've been keeping up with the news (or at least I've tried to, that kind of counts as well, doesn't it?), and I've noticed that it's not going to be as simple as I had expected....there are going to be some ties to the old series, and so on....?

Ok, to cut the crap, my question is - how is this retcon going to be new-reader-friendly if there are still ties to the previous serials and events/whatever...?

Or, maybe a better question - which of these "fresh and new" series would you reccomend to a totally non-DCU-educated person such as myself?

much obliged (:

Hoo, boy -

Other new supernatural/fantasy/horror-themed books that will be announced by DC Comics today and scheduled to publish in September include:

• Justice League Dark, what DC terms “a band of supernatural heroes” — John Constantine, Deadman, Shade the Changing Man and Madame Xanadu – written by Peter Milligan.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/06/07/dc-comics-swamp-thing-frankenstein/

Hoo, boy -

Other new supernatural/fantasy/horror-themed books that will be announced by DC Comics today and scheduled to publish in September include:

• Justice League Dark, what DC terms “a band of supernatural heroes” — John Constantine, Deadman, Shade the Changing Man and Madame Xanadu – written by Peter Milligan.

Fucking liars.

I don't know who, but someone.

Looking at the Animal Man cover art :

animal-man-comic_4771.jpg

I get the vibe they'll be returning him to the "Champion of the Red" status.

Hoo, boy -

That is the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in the year 2011.