Shawn

DCU rebirth

The rumors are true! After the big even Flashpoint is over, DC will re-start ALL their titles with a #1. Included is "Justice League" by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee, who by the way helped redesign nearly all characters.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32563

I do like they are changing up Superman's outfit.

I just hope they are upfront with most of the changes, don't like to play the waiting/guessing game as to whether character/event X is still in-continuity. Still, sounds a bit like Zero Hour/One Year Later attempts, but I don;'t think it'll do much good. I wonder if Secret Six and similar titles will still exist? You can't do this sort of world-shattering "event" without seriously damaging those good ongoing titles you currently have.

And I don't dig the new "dynamic S", it looks like it was scrawled with a highlighter.

So, basically DC wanted another Crisis, but since the last event was Final Crisis, they couldn't say it's another Crisis.

I hope DC sticks with this, unlike Marvel. It's getting ridiculous how often Marvel jumps back and forth between "legacy" and "relaunch".

Iron Man is just back to "legacy" numbering because it hit issue #500, meanwhile we're seeing Thor get relaunched from issue #1 again because of the movie. Soon, Thor will reach #550 and get the "legacy" treatment, while Iron Man will be relaunched again. You can't keep up with all the series changes anymore. I mean, Captain America must be on series six by now, but it's still all considered one total series dating back to Tales of Suspense.

So, will Action Comics, Batman, and Detective Comics get relaunched also? If so, that leaves Uncanny X-Men as the only comic to never get rebooted from #1.

Truth to be told, Action, Detective, Batman and such were already at scarily high numbers. I can understand that once again someone got the "brilliant" idea that this will attract new readers.

John Constantine shows up and the Universe promptly implodes. That's about right.

So long as we don't get Hellblazer #1 with a younger-than-ever J.C. with a newly redesigned trench coat.

Wonder Woman and Superman get hitched or at least in a relationship?

Entire characters/events being edited out? What does this mean for Batman Inc.? or Birds of Prey? Or Secret Six? Or for Damian, Oracle, Nightwing... ?

Morrison on Superman I can get behind on, though I hope he revisits his ideas for All Star Superman annuals/specials.

And I see we're back to the "iconic" JLA? That can be fun, if handled properly, though I don't know if Geoff and Lee are totally fit for the task.

This sounds more worrying by the minute.

Based on what I've been reading, some characters will change a little, some will change a lot, and others won't change at all. So, it seems like DC will use this to pick and choose which characters to fiddle with.

Also, I'm thinking Morrison's stuff will be left alone.

BTW, big time Justice League? YES!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-full-jla-art-including-flash-batman-designs-hawkman-1-with-robinson-tan-birds-of-prey-1-without-gail-simone/

But if they're de-aging the core JLA members, then Damian is surely out of the picture?

I'm calling this "Crisis of Infinite Collars"

or

"Multiple Seams on Multiple Retcons"

I can't believe they'd start messing with Morrison's stuff this soon, he hasn't even finished setting up his new premise.

It's like Marvel with New X-Men. They couldn't want to get rid of Morrison, so they could ret-con most of his changes on X-Men.

So, I don't see it happening.

What ever happened to Multi-versal anyway? I know it was put on hiatus due to busy schedules, but it was still slated to run.

We don't even get the new multiverse fleshed out and they're already rearranging it all.

I really wanted to see Multi-versal too.

Just as I was getting interested in some mainstream DC books for the first time, thanks to Morrison, this seems like a good reason not to bother again.

Meh.

Just as I was getting interested in some mainstream DC books for the first time, thanks to Morrison, this seems like a good reason not to bother again.

Meh.

This right here. I'll but anything Grant Morrison writes but all this other stuff I don't care about.

On another site I read that all Vertigo titles were exempt from the DCU reboot. Vertigo is still going to exist, right?

Probably. Does it even really exist right now? Aside from HB I can't name one Vertigo title I collect, whereas there was a time when that was all I collected.

I am fine with their doing this with most titles. God knows the DCU could use some pruning. But it would be a crying shame to just erase the past few years of what Morrison's been doing with Batman. No more Damien Wayne? Will Dick Grayson go back to being stupid little Robin?

And some of the tweaking of what is iconic feels like cheap marketing tactics to me. Like it's ever been a good idea to mess with Superman's costume. That Jim Lee JLA image looks pretty bad.

Also, please tell me that this doesn't mean we're going to get a whole slew of new origin story arcs.

Fuck this shit.

I don't care about most of the DCU but if they reboot Batman and get rid of Damian and demote and de-age Dick to Robin etc. I think that would be a massive shame. I think Morrison has done some fantastic stuff with Batman over the past five years and also seeing what other writers have come up with the characters in the new status quo that he's given them.

Also I'm thinking that this is just some kinda marketing ploy that will spin out of Flashpoint and it will all get undone over the course of the following year.

Also, please tell me that this doesn't mean we're going to get a whole slew of new origin story arcs.

Probably not (at least not right away) - they said the stories will pick up after they've all been established as heroes, a bit in the past, but not too far back. Probably the deleted characters and such will cause some shifting in the current origins/continuity.

I'm betting the deleted characters will "rise up" in some big event, just like they did in Infinite Crisis and that Black Lantern thingie.

I hope they keep most of Morrison's Batman stuff intact.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned Batman & Robin are Richard Grayson & Damian Wayne