Shawn

DCU rebirth

They're gonna need trenchcoats for Madam Xanadu and Deadman, though.

TrenchcoatBrigade.jpg

So far, in my opinion the best news coming out of all this:

1) Animal Man by Lemiere

2) Aquaman by Johns

3) Batman by Snyder & Capullo

4) Batwoman by Williams III & Reeder

5) Return of the JLI

6) Justice League by Johns. The big HOWEVER is I don't care for Jim Lee and I forsee delays

7) Grayson returning to his Nightwing persona. He was never going to stay Batman, so this is next best thing.

Everything else ranges from "meh", at best, to bollocks, as predicted by John Constantine :laugh:

I'm still hoping they'll make a "Shade, The Changing Man, Agent of SHADE" book, instead of that Frankenstein one. A true Shade book deserves to have a title as confusing as its protagonist.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/07/dc-embraces-its-dark-side/

Etrigan! I, Vampire! Resurrection Man! Voodoo!

demonk_cv1_r1sjadan.jpg

Set in the Middle Ages, the Demon leads an unlikely team to defend civilization and preserve the last vestiges of Camelot against the tide of history. Critically-acclaimed writer Paul Cornell and artists Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert combine sorcery, swords and superheroes in DEMON KNIGHTS #1.

rmn_cv1janagsye5.jpg

A cult favorite character returns in a new series written by his classic creative team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Joining them is JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST artist Fernando Dagnino. RESURRECTION MAN #1 is the story of a hero who wakes up with new powers each time he’s killed.

ivamp_cv1mada-sa2.jpg

Vampires threaten to bring ruin to the DC Universe in I, VAMPIRE #1 by rising star Josh Fialkov and artist Andrea Sorrentino. Tortured by his centuries-old love for the Queen of the Damnned, Andrew Bennett must save humanity from the violent uprising of his fellow vampires, even if it means exterminating his own kind.

voodoo_cv1m5ttgu8.jpg

Priscilla Kitaen has just found out she’s a monster. A half-alien hybrid, the woman known as Voodoo must confront the secrets of her past to make sense of the nightmare her life has suddenly become. VOODOO #1 will be written by Ron Marz with art by Sami Basri.

frankenstein_14765432.jpg

Frankenstein and his network of strange beings work for an even stranger government organization: The Super Human Advanced Defense Executive. It’s the breakout hero of Seven Soldiers as you’ve never seen him before in FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF SHADE #1, the first issue of a dark new series from acclaimed writer Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, The Nobody) and artist Alberto Ponticelli.

anman_cv1_r2asmnkda92a.jpg

Buddy Baker has gone from “super” man to family man – but is he strong enough to hold his family together when Maxine, his young daughter, starts to manifest her own dangerous powers? Find out in ANIMAL MAN #1, the start of a dramatic new series by acclaimed writer Jeff Lemire and artists Travel Foreman and Dan Green.

st_cv1kasmda0sd2.jpg

DC Comics embraces its dark side. On the 40th anniversary of the character’s creation, the New York Times bestselling writer of AMERICAN VAMPIRE, Scott Snyder, teams up with Yannick Paquette (BATMAN, INCORPORATED) to bring horror back to the DC Universe in SWAMP THING #1. For years, one man served against his will as the avatar of nature. And while he may have been freed of the monster, he’s about to learn the monster will never truly let go of him.

There's some speculation that this will be a sortof sub-imprint, DCU DARK, which will rarely crossover with superhero titles, but will be a part off DCU that may crossover with each other.

Yeah, Grifter's in...not sure how Voodoo made the cut but there ya go.

So some of the Wildstorm characters have made it in?

Yes, unfortunately. Thus far, there will be a Grifter series and a Voodoo series

It would seem that the Wildstorm characters will be starting from scratch, judging by Voodoo's solicit.

I will give Swampy a go based on Snyder's work with American Vampire and the artist being someone who draws good.

Resurrection Man used to be good, and it's Abnett and Lanning again.

Jeff Lemire could write his name on the cover of a Green Lantern comic and I would buy it*

so I will be getting Frankie & Buddy.

(*this is not true).

I shall draw a veil over the Justice League of Shit.

Why brand it Justice League at all? Does DC not allow a team to be called something else? Uggg. Still I think i'm looking forward to Frankenstein, the resurrection of Resurrection Man, and Animal man of these new announcements.

Oh, I wish J.M. DeMatteis was coming back to write I, Vampire.

So far, he's the only writer who's cared to use his creation.

I guess Flashpoint is going to undo some continuity from the post-Crisis years, as I Vampire has been dead since the late-1980s, unless this is a different character using the same name.

Damn, this is going to cut into my wallet, considering that I was buying about three or four DC titles monthly before this point, and now I'm seeing a load of titles I want to check out.

It looks like DC is following Marvel's lead, to get top creative teams on the majority of their books.

Hopefully, unlike Marvel, they'll allow the writers more freedom and let them tell creative stories, instead of sticking top writers on the book and then creating some sort of house-style where all the books have to be grim and realistic (with a few exceptions).

I guess DC is going to take the industry again now, as they're keeping their books cheaper and now they have top writers.

Marvel made the statement that they weren't going to go back to $2.99 on their line because they were concentrating on bringing in the best creative teams possible and felt that quality would beat cost. I guess DC took them up on their challenge, and showed everyone what shite Marvel was talking when they pretended like they had to charge $3.99 a book because they had most of the top creators in comicdom.

Christian, I do so hope you are right about DC letting their creators just tell good stories.

As for breaking your wallet. Since DC is going same day digital, you could always download the comic at a cheaper price. I think some of the big name books (Justice League, Superman, etc) are the same price as the paper version on just the first issues, then after that all downloads are $1.99/issue. I THINK! Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I could definitely live with $1.99 digital comics.

I didn't read the article. Did it state who got wood off Supergirl?

Yeah! That's something new and fresh for the big relaunch!

The Capullo Batman cover turned me right off. I like the shape made by the cape, but that ridiculous pose wasn't the way to achieve it. It's like Rob Liefeld took a few lessons.

Will check out Paul Jenkins' Deadman.

The price drops to 1,99$ after four weeks (a month?) I believe, which is just plain stupid, DC really is still trying to appease retailers and break new ground, and I'm afraid they'll wind up with all the bruises, and then Marvel will simply learn from their mistakes and do it properly (just like with their own movie production, or with their MMORPG).

Cameron Stewart wrote a really nice piece about the whole mess.

I can't believe that you, of all people, would answer that sort of question with a straight face. What's happened to you, man?

I can't believe that you, of all people, would answer that sort of question with a straight face. What's happened to you, man?

Yeah... that's pretty f*cked, Rogan.

Disappointing, man.

:smile:

JasonT - were you intentionally setting me up for a pun? I'm not your punmonkey! I have feelings too! I'm a person! I'll pun when I'm good and ready.

God damn Liefield blows. How he still gets gigs is beyond me.

Greg might like to see Static's return. I seem to remember him being a fan. Don't start none, won't get none!

uhhhh, no

Ok, so we have Bob Harras, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Brett Booth, horribly busy costumes, ill conceived book ideas with drastic updates to beloved characters......is it 1992 and no one told me?!?!

There are a few gems in all this but there is so much garbage coming. Or many will be cancelled within a year regardless of quality. A prime example could be Static

Oh...I spoke too soon. I seemed to only pay attention to the positives and skip so much garbage.

Although, no one ever made Hawk & Dove readable. Liefield was the artist on that book post-Crisis.

So, yeah, it does mostly seem like every non-Morrison big superhero book that DC has is getting the Image treatment, but I really never cared for most of DC's big players anyway. I always liked the shady corners of the DCU that no one else ever cared about.

Where's the Kid Eternity relaunch? Put DeMatteis on Kid Eternity and I'm going to proclaim that DC is now gold. I'm simple to please.

Chuck Austen on Superman? Who cares. I don't read the book anyway. Kid Eternity, dammit!

Shawn has hit the nail on the head though. I expect most of these books to be gone quickly...leaving all you DC fans with nothing but Niceza and Lobdell and Liefield...

Christian, I do so hope you are right about DC letting their creators just tell good stories.

As for breaking your wallet. Since DC is going same day digital, you could always download the comic at a cheaper price. I think some of the big name books (Justice League, Superman, etc) are the same price as the paper version on just the first issues, then after that all downloads are $1.99/issue. I THINK! Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I could definitely live with $1.99 digital comics.

How are the digital comics going to work?

I heard from the comic store I frequent that some company has started the digital process (maybe Witchblade?), but it's something like you have to buy a card (like an Amazon gift card, I think) from the comic store and then you can download it at home on your computer.

That just sounds like a method sure to lead to problems.

I'm not sure if that's what they were saying, as I was eavesdropping on someone else's conversation while I was browsing. That's what I think they said though.

So, yeah...Rogan's comment is apt.

I'm still buying the actual books, because I'm a neo-Luddite, if they start putting more books exclusively online though, it'll save me money, because I'll just forget that book exists.

And let's not forget the Paul Cornell written "Demon Knights" starring the Etrigan in the days of Camelot and I think some medieval versions of known heroes. Not a bad concept. Good writer. Gone in 6 issues, just enough for a trade that fans will demand 8-10 months after it's over. Come on! It's Cornell writing a book of British superheroes and we all know those turn out, no matter how much acclaim from fans and critics.......sorry, I'm still sore over cancellation of Capt. Britain & MI-13

I'm not sure how the whole digital thing works. I would think you hop on the DC site, register and so on, then download it.

Hawk & Dove are not very interesting. Yeah, maybe as guests in a book or support characters, like Birds of Prey, but not their own series. Same goes for Captain Atom. Ok, we get it!! He's all energy and could blow at any moment. Or just continue to blow whenever he appears. :wink:

Legion Of Superheroes by Paul Levitz and Francis Portela. Not bad. I've liked Levit's work on LoS lately. And that Portela has some fine art

Teen Titans by Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth. Really?!?! Look that cover. Now look at Red Robin. Now to Superboy. Now back to Red Robin. Now to Kid Flash. Now back to me. Ummm wait, no...anyway. These are what your heroes could look like by 3rd rate artists stuck in the 1990s. :icon_rolleyes: