Rogan

Globetrotter Johnny

Where would you like to see John pop up?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Select your destination :

• Nordic lands
    • The Old Country (Eastern Europe)
    • Middle East
    • Stick a Kimono on him (Far East)
    • Kangaroo country (Australia, New Zealand)
    • EU for 2 (Italy, France, Germany, Spain...)
    • Ay yi yi yi! (South America)
    • Stick 'im up a Pole (North or South)
    • YanquiLand (U.S.A., Canada)
    • Africa
    • Let him stay in the good ole UK.
    • Antarctica

A thought had occurred to me - I love the globetrotting Johnny (I think that was one of the many appeals of Delano's Pandemonium, and Milligan's India seemed better and fresher due to its setting), and I feel that his adventures "abroad" are a premise that still has lot to be mined from.

So, would you like to see a more worldly John, and if so, where do you think he could work his magic best? If the poll is too broad, please specify a country.

Yes. John should go everywhere. Except the US, because I've gone off John in the US since Azzarello.

The British used to be everywhere. John can act as a sort of post-colonial asshole on just about any continent. And I see you left Antarctica out.

It didn't when Paul Jenkins tried that one, though...

East Europe could be entertaining. They haven't done anything with that one yet.

Eddie Campbell, no?

I'd leave the globetrotting and folkloric nasties to Hellboy, though. Our lad works best on home turf.

Sheesh.

Yes to everything TimC said.

If John did go somewhere, I'd probably say Tibet. As long as it avoids the cliches.

Nothing about Enlightened Masters, evil Chinese, or the Dalai Lama showing up.

I'd like to see John exploring the actual Bon-Po traditions and showing a more nuanced and complex understanding of Tibet, rather than the usual romantized (and also condescending) usually views seen in the "West".

I like the element based beliefs of the Bon.

Plus, I'd like to see John trying to trek through snowy mountain peaks.

Whatever, my geography grades have always been practically non-existent.

Yeah, but it's Paul Jenkins. You can't expect a whole lot from him.

True dat.

Tim, Campbell did finish off his story in Australia, but it was left to Jenkins to do a pretty crap two parter about aborigines and the rainbow snake before sending him back to the UK...

And not just because I'm South African, but South Africa.

Due to the sanctions of the past it was mildly used in fiction in general and now it's not topical enough.

There's loads of unique African magic potential there and British colonial past, amongst others.

I'm quite fond of John in other countries even in Azzarello's America.

Being the only Brit sort of accentuates aspects of Constantine's character.

The British used to be everywhere. John can act as a sort of post-colonial asshole on just about any continent.

Exactly, and then his delayed feeling bad about it spell.

I suppose a fear of Hellblazer travelling is that it's open to stereotypical abuse under a poorer writer, but then hell so is John.

Usually more travelling means more politics too.

I opened this thread because it finally clicked in my head, I pinpointed one of the things that I miss - and I'm glad Milligan gave us India, flawed as it was,it was still a more lively read than most of his run.

I feel that the globetrotting is an inherent part of John's character - we meet him in wamp Thing, going about the US and South America, trying to save the world, and then at the very start of Hellblazer, we have him in Africa, then New York... Hell, have him travel a bit all over England, I say, not all the time, but what I liked when Delano and Jenkins had him go out to the countryside, be it with hippies, punks, or the salvation army, just the sense of exploring old/new places. John in London's starting to feel a bit "safe" an crowded.

Hello? Africa isn't a country Sarah Palin.

Theres f' all similarity between Casablanca and Cape Town. :laugh:

shh...You have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He grouped together the United States and Canada.

Eastern Europe, Middle East, and the far East are certainly not individual countries.

Sure, Africa is a whole continent (so is South America), but it'd require a hell of a lot space to list all the seperate nations.

He could've done something like Maghreb, West Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa...but, come on, unless it's Egypt or South Africa, do you really think the majority of comic writers are going to differentiate the location?

Well, ok, when the Sudan was used for political purposes, they did make it look like grassland instead of like a jungle...

I'd love to see him in my country. there's plenty of dark shit in my country's past that could make for interesting ghost encounters and such.

but yeah, Asia, and specifically Nepal/Tibet. Also, India deserves a better story than Milligan managed.

I'd love to see him in my country. there's plenty of dark shit in my country's past that could make for interesting ghost encounters and such.

And even the "modern" bits of your country's history/politics could be intriguing.

And even the "modern" bits of your country's history/politics could be intriguing.

true, too true.

One thing I noticed about Con-Job. He has the ability to be where he needs to be. A wiki marked it as a type of travel power. Which would make sense. So it's very easy to see him being where the mystic winds take him. But yeah, John C bouncing around, I do like that. Sure the UK is deep in mystical stuff, myths, legends. But there's a whole world. Hell, turn him loose in New Orleans, which if you go by a lot of legends, witnesses, is covered in the occult.

New Orleans is also full of goths, though. Wouldn't that put Constantine off a bit? Whitby and Leeds are both among the few bits of the UK he's always avoided...