Rogan

Globetrotter Johnny

Where would you like to see John pop up?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Select your destination :

• Nordic lands
    • The Old Country (Eastern Europe)
    • Middle East
    • Stick a Kimono on him (Far East)
    • Kangaroo country (Australia, New Zealand)
    • EU for 2 (Italy, France, Germany, Spain...)
    • Ay yi yi yi! (South America)
    • Stick 'im up a Pole (North or South)
    • YanquiLand (U.S.A., Canada)
    • Africa
    • Let him stay in the good ole UK.
    • Antarctica

Eh? There aren't that many goths in Leeds. Then again, I haven't been near the Corn Exchange on a Saturday afternoon for years, so maybe there's been a resurgence.

The idea of New Orleans being flooded with Goths is also highly inflated, mostly based on Anne Rice's books.

Sure, there are some vampire cults, but you won't run into that shite...and the one guy who is talked about as being an authentic vampire isn't described as looking anything like a Goth.

You might find more in the French Quarter, right downtown, but that's not the whole of New Orleans, and that area is so damn crowded, you'll be lucky to find anyone standing out amongst the throngs.

I've been going to New Orleans for years, and aside from the bar called The Dungeon i don't recall ever seeing a goth. The city certianly isn't over run with them.

Time to turn my sense of humour in for a service again.

New Orleans is also full of goths, though. Wouldn't that put Constantine off a bit? Whitby and Leeds are both among the few bits of the UK he's always avoided...

Nerd alert.

He probably avoided Whitby on account of its proximity to Ravenscar.

He probably avoided Whitby on account of its proximity to Ravenscar.

There was the Grant Morrison/David Lloyd story which appeared to be set near Fylingdales, which is on the way to Whitby.

Apart from that and various Ravenscar visits, I think the only time he's been anywhere in Yorkshire in the comic was that Garth Ennis 'Shooting dead people is wrong, mmkay' story.

Did I ever mention that I had my stag night in Ravenscar?

I think the Jenkins werewolf issue was set on the Yorkshire Dales, too.

I can't recall that one at all - do you know what issue number?

Quite right, that Jennings one is also somewhere generic in rural North Yorkshire. I'm also reminded why I've not reread that run in a long time.

Something to do with the "generic rural north Yorkshire" thing?

Something to do with the "generic rural north Yorkshire" thing?

More the dull storytelling and annoying characters, really. And Phillips' art's a long way off his top game.

I always had this image of him opening the envelope containing the script, reading the first couple of pages, and then scowling:

"Is this the best he can do? When's fucking Warren Pleece taking over?"

Wait. Surely John's showed up in New Orleans before anyway?

There must've been some point during his appearances in Swamp Thing where the story took place in New Orleans, right?

I honestly can't think of any examples offhand. I don't think he was in the Nancy A Collins story that was set there.

I always had this image of him opening the envelope containing the script, reading the first couple of pages, and then scowling:

"Is this the best he can do? When's fucking Warren Pleece taking over?"

Shit, is it opposites day again? I always seem to miss it.

I think the Jenkins werewolf issue was set on the Yorkshire Dales, too.

I can't recall that one at all - do you know what issue number?

First monthly issue of Hellblazer I ever read, fact fans!

Speaking of facts, Sean Phillips is the best artist ever to grace the pages of the ongoing series.

To answer the question at hand, the Far East would present a lot of interesting storytelling opportunities.

Speaking of facts, Sean Phillips is the best artist ever to grace the pages of the ongoing series.

I'd have to agree (but Bradstreet on the covers).

It's probably why I think the Jenkins run is better than it actually is.

Fell apart a little at the end but otherwise I've a lot of time for Jenkins' run on the title - Critical Mass sits easily in the pantheon of Consantine's best outings.

What John said. The last eight issues are shithouse, but I really like the tone of the book up to that point, and there are some classic cons in there.

Warren Pleece really couldn't draw his way out of a paper bag then. Loved his work on Kinetic, though.

Critical Mass sits easily in the pantheon of Consantine's best outings.

I agree. I really dislike Jenkins run but Critical Mass is right up there among the title's very best arcs.

YES to the Sean Phillips love and YES to the Far East-- specifically Tokyo, Japan.

There is so much potential for well, anything, but I'm thinking of a story that's fairly humorous (maybe even a send-up of manga) and which mines the rich occult mythologies the nation has in a ConJob way.

If people are going to accuse me of being deliberately contrary, I might as well 'fess up to prefering both Frusin and Richard Piers Raynor's art on Hellblazer to Sean Phillips, fine as that was.

(I really liked Rayner's approach, and think it's a terrible shame that he gave up in disgust over Alfredo Alacala simplifying his pencils while inking them.)

Is that what happened to Rayner? I always wondered why his stint on the title was so brief.