Rogan

Globetrotter Johnny

Where would you like to see John pop up?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Select your destination :

• Nordic lands
    • The Old Country (Eastern Europe)
    • Middle East
    • Stick a Kimono on him (Far East)
    • Kangaroo country (Australia, New Zealand)
    • EU for 2 (Italy, France, Germany, Spain...)
    • Ay yi yi yi! (South America)
    • Stick 'im up a Pole (North or South)
    • YanquiLand (U.S.A., Canada)
    • Africa
    • Let him stay in the good ole UK.
    • Antarctica

That's the story I saw Mark Buckingham come out with in an interview in the early '90s. Mind you, he might have an axe to grind about that as he was inking Rayner before Alacala took over...

Do you think John works better in urban settings (London, New York, Calcutta) or out in the country?

I tend to see him in urban, with a bit of rural mixed in, since power tends to concentrate in cities.

Ah but rural area's tend can be spookier, country folk tend to be more isolated and superstitious. Also scary naked trees set against the half-moon.

I'd say urban.

John's type of horror is a different type of horror from the stories of M.R. James or Le Fanu or Bierce.

Sure, it's not a new type of horror, but John's at the heart of the Industrial world.

Bierce and Lefanu both did urban horror. (MR James, not so much.)

Fritz Leiber is often credited with inventing that stuff around the turn of the '40s, but there were a fair few examples before Leiber started publishing. Eugene Sue rarely published anything else, for a start...

I consider Stefan Grabinski to be the original master of urban horror.

I'm not sure the exact time-line for Grabinski, but I'm pretty sure he was writing around the same time as James.

If you haven't read it yet, check out His Dark Domain (his short story collection).

Grabinski's good, but I think there was a bit of delay before his stuff was translated into English.

In fact, are there any other translations besides the Daedalus translation of Dark Domain? he wrote a lot more than that, and I haven't seen any of it in English. He's a bit like Aldapuerta in that respect: one translation, and that's your lot.

(Eugene Sue was doing urban horror even earlier, of course. Then there's that Robert Louis Stephenson chap...)

Yeah, hardly any of his work has been translated into English.

I'm pretty sure the Daedalus book is the only book he has in English, and I believe that none of his work was available in English until very recently.

I've never read Eugene Sue. There is Stephenson, but I prefer Grabinski to him based on what I've seen from Grabinski.

You should read Sue, you'd probably enjoy him. There's quite a Marxist undercurrent to a lot of his stuff, which you tend not to get in most 19th century horror. He reads a bit like a paste up of Victor Hugo and Charles Maturin: very much in the gothic tradition, but focussed on Paris lowlife.

As for Grabinski, if the only translation is the Daedalus book, then he was most likely translated around the turn of the '90s, and can't have been translated any more than ten years earlier. Deadalus was formed to publish Robert Irwin's first novel in the early '80s, and started publishing a lot of translations ten years later.