Sign in to follow this  
slinker

American Gods

I picture Jeff Bridges. Hey, he's got experience playing a one-eyed, old, fat man. But probably too expensive.

John Glover. He can play a charming, manipulative bastard. And the man sports a fine beard.

I picture Jeff Bridges. Hey, he's got experience playing a one-eyed, old, fat man. But probably too expensive.

I loved him in Thor

John Glover. He can play a charming, manipulative bastard. And the man sports a fine beard.

Yeah, I could see that as well, though I fear he'd be considered a bit "worn out" due to his Smallville association.

I loved him in Thor

Did you love this Jeff Bridges in Thor?

anthony_hopkins_1755253.jpg

...or this one?

jeff-bridges.jpg

Also, like Abhi said, I chose an image from Winter's Bone for a reason. He's quite menacing in that one.

Odin should NOT be bulky, btw. He's a scrawny old wizard, not a muscled hunk. This especially goes for Wedensday, who is a down-on-his-luck version of Odin.

Can't really say which one, without the eyepatches. (I was just making a joke based on the sudden resurgence of old bearded one-eyed men in popular media).

I don't know if Wednesday was exactly scrawny. I don't think of him as fat, hulking, or anything similar, but just having that late-midle-age bloatedness about the face a bit.

For some reason, while reading American Gods I was picturing Rade Serbedzija as Wednesday. Not that I'm saying he'd be great for the role.

Hmm, he can be a really decent actor, with a good script and direction, though him being on-call as the Hollywood's go-to Russian/German character really doesn't make him a viable candidate. He does have that devilish spark in his eye. My guess is that the role of Chernobog might be his for the taking.

For some reason, while reading American Gods I was picturing Rade Serbedzija as Wednesday. Not that I'm saying he'd be great for the role.

Not a bad suggestion, certainly.

Viggo Mortensen also springs to mind.

As for Chernobog, I pictured him more like this, really:

Ian_McShane.jpg

Oooh, good choice for Chernobog. My recommendation of Sherbedzhija was mostly due to him getting every role like that, be it a hobo in Batman Begins, Gregotrovitch in Harry potter, or a skeevy Russian father in Eyes wide shut. Just the other day a friend told me she saw him in some spectacularly trashy SF-tv show, being a libtrarian who helps the Nephilim teens find out about their heritage.