Sign in to follow this  
Bilirubin

Elfquest

Hey, I haven't heard anyone mention Elfquest in a long time.

When I initially tried reading it, back when I was first trying the different Epic Comics, I couldn't stand it.

But, deciding to go back and trying to pick up more issues and give it a chance, I found it to be pretty good.

It depends on your taste in fiction. If you like Tolkien, but moreso his derivative imitators especially Terry Brooks, you'll find this a captivating series.

I don't mean that in a negative sense, just that the template was set by Tolkien and many people tried to follow it, some created their own interesting worlds (Brooks) others just wished they were Tolkien (Eddings).

I feel Pini crafted a believable world that was very different from any comics that were published until that point.

On the other hand, if you hate epic fantasy and stories about elves and fairies, then you should not go within ten feet of this book.

The writing is decent. It's not at the level of Moore or Gaiman, or the creativeness of Moore and Morrison, but it's leagues better than the majority of the stuff churned out by "indy" creators* back in the day when everyone wanted to follow in Dave Sim's footsteps.

*not the work coming out of Fantasgraphics and Top Shelf.

Hi Christian! Long time no chat.

I remember only being mildly annoyed with Brooks (only read one Sharnara book), but I fucking hate Eddings. Perhaps its worth a browse. The art I've seen so far sucks dead goat balls though.

The paste up of manga and Frank Thorne has always appealed to me a lot more than the Pini's story telling, to tell the truth.

If you can click with the art, it's rather fetching. As Christian says though, the story is profoundly sub Tolkein, and leans a bit towards the cutesy side as well.

(That said, though, the main central story isn't too shabby, even if the additional stuff is deeply bad. There's some quite nice touches, but the Pinis really should have let it lie after they'd finished that instead of churning out all those bloody miniseries...)

As kids my brother and I forged our very lives around this book. Haven't read it since, maybe it's terribly dated.

I fear it might have, but it's still worth a look. I don't like Fables either, remember?

If you can click with the art, it's rather fetching. As Christian says though, the story is profoundly sub Tolkein, and leans a bit towards the cutesy side as well.

(That said, though, the main central story isn't too shabby, even if the additional stuff is deeply bad. There's some quite nice touches, but the Pinis really should have let it lie after they'd finished that instead of churning out all those bloody miniseries...)

This. Very this.

funnily enough, I have met lots of girls who when I told them I was into comics started gushing about Elfquest (Elfquest was huge over here in the late 80s/early 90s) I've only ever read a few issues. I liked the artwork but it seemed a bit too new-agey for me.