JohnMcMahon

Vertigo back on the ledge

JohnMcMahon    587

Well the newest wave of Vertigo titles have all hit and I can't say I'm particularly impressed....

Exterminators #1 - Blah!

Testament #1 - Meh!

Loveless #1 & #2 - Yawn!

DMZ - Yay!

Gordon    0
Well the newest wave of Vertigo titles have all hit and I can't say I'm particularly impressed....

Exterminators #1 - Blah!

Testament  #1 - Meh!

Loveless #1 & #2 - Yawn!

DMZ - Yay!

Actually, I quite liked the latest Loveless and feel that the series may simply be a victim of Azzerello’s writing style. (In that he tends to read better in trades, as opposed to incremenantly.)

I’m afraid the jury’s still out on DMZ here.

100 Bullets continues to truck on, there’s Azzerello’s Ogn with Jock and Denise Mina’s Hellblazer to look forward to but, yes, I’d agree that Vertigo is looking a little threadbare in 2006.

Y'all aren't liking Loveless? So far, it's the only Azzarello thing outside of 100 Bullets that I've ever enjoyed. It reminds me of "The Outlaw Josey Wales," but much darker.

His writing style is much more restrained, and I'm actually enjoying his wordplay again as opposed to simply toerating it.

JohnMcMahon    587

I thought the art in Loveless was really disappointing - I was expecting something on a par with Marcelo's early Hellblazer stuff but instead it bore more of a resemblance to the rubbish he was putting out near the end of his stint with Carey. Azzarello's word-play can be grating at the best of time but it's out of control in those opening issues - especially the sex stuff at the end of the first which was laughably bad.

I'll be giving the trade a go because 100 Bullets reads so well in that format but I'm firmly in the 'rubbish' camp right now.

A. Heathen    1,162

It's 3/4 for me.

Loveless has not changed my opinion, although #3 is the least bad issue.

Exterminators was fun, but I suspect sci-fi sublots will over run the very nice comedy like a metaphorical nest of cockroaches.

Testament was great to look at, and the story needs longer for me to decide. I liked the first issue, and if it was a four issue mini I could see it being ace ... wait and see.

DMZ is just splendid, as I've already said.

Lou K    1,083

yawn - they just aren't putting out anything that looks appealing to me right now, except for 100 Bullets.

andy    2

Just Hellblazer. Desolation Jones if it were Vertigo. I should give DMZ another look but the I wasn't all that impressed with the few pages I've seen. None of the upcoming slate interests me at the moment.

Josh    6

I only found out about these titles from STH. I'm sure they were up and viewable at the comic shop, but for some reason I don't remember ever seeing them. Either I've been particularly inattentive lately (which is possible) or the covers just didn't catch my eye. Which if it's true is not a good thing.

I can miss a lot when I read a comic, and I easily write off things that don't make sense. But when I see remarks from James and others who typically don't miss much showing confusion or cynicism about non sequitur events like men popping up to shoot with no explanation or day suddenly becoming night, I have to conclude that there's something seriously wrong with the writing and editing on that book. Though I like Frusin's artwork on the book, I stopped Loveless after #2 basically because of all the events in it that didn't make any sense.

Rogan    176

Frusin's art in Loveless resembling his sub-par HB stuff isn't surprising, since Azzarello himself praised it openly (the sub-par art in issues around #190), saying how he thinks Frusin finally let it loose, how he's experimenting and doing amazing new groundbreaking things... can someone find the exact quote, i believe it was from soem promo interview on Newsaama...

JohnMcMahon    587

Loose is an appropriate word for Frusin's current art-style actually, that or shit.

The art in both Testament and Exterminators outshines the mediocre stories being told by a considerable margin, big fan in particular of Tony Moore's work but I'll get my hit of that from the rather awesome Fear Agent.

Rogan    176

Do they have anything else planned for 2006, ongoing-wise?

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of Sandman Mystery Theatre spin-off?

Gordon    0
Do they have anything else planned for 2006, ongoing-wise?

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of Sandman Mystery Theatre spin-off?

Kind of.

If memory serves, it’s a five issue mini series and sat 50 or so years in the future, so it’s servicing the name more than anything.

Rogan    176

Ah, yes, it's a mini with the longshot of becoming a series of miniseries if it goes well with the public...

Does Vertigo have anything else ongoing-wise planned for this year?

Mark    333

I didn't have a problem with Frusin's art for Loveless #1-2: definitely in the vein of his looser, more abstract work on the latter half of his Hellblazer tenure, but, crucially, a lot less shit.

The writing was jobbies, though. Issue #3 was a bit better, but I remain unconvinced. I'm reading downloaded copies at the moment, and while it's failed to impress me so far, I suspect that there's at least the potential for a half-decent series hiding in there - I'm going to pick up the first trade and see how that reads in a single sitting. If it doesn't grab me, that's it.

When is "Shit Brown: We were straight but now we're Wiccan Lesbos" coming out?

I'm sure that was on the slate for 2006, hell it has been every other year.

Mohawkny115    0

I recently have been buying DMZ issues I got part 1 and 3 of "on the ground" but I must've been too late to catch part 2, does anyone know how I could get my hands on it? I really wanna follow this series from its beginning, middle and well lets not say end but "continuation" pardon if I misspell that.

Josh    6

Because everyone's so up on DMZ I tried to pick it up at the store today, but I didn't even get a shadow of the "buy me" feeling when I leafed through two issues of it. So I'm not into any of these four books.

JasonT    451

I'm not even into Hellblazer. I'd have dropped it during Reasons To Be Cheerful if not for the upcoming change of writer.

But don't listen to me — I don't even see the appeal of Y, The Last Man. :)

I guess I'm kinda over comics. I don't mean that in a snotty comics-are-for-kids way — it's just that comics are so damn expensive these days that I expect more than just throwaway entertainment from them.

On that note: yeah Mark, where are you getting your, um, preview pages? :)

Christian    782

"Y:The Last Man" has always bored me.

I never got into "100 Bullets", not my thing.

I like "Fables", but not enough to buy it anymore.

Don't even bring up the new "Swamp Thing" or "BookKs of MagicK" with me.

James    38

I'm, enjoying DMZ and The Exterminators has got me sufficiently intrigued to buy the next few issues, even if the "comedy" relies more on stock oddball caricatures than actual proper jokes.

Testament did nothing for me and neither did Loveless.

Still, we've got a Mike Carey miniseries and ongoing yet to come, haven't we? And Ennis might - just might - start City Lights sometime in the next 12 months, if we're all very, very lucky.

James    38
Steve Dillon is doing art on the new Wolverine comic, so I don't think we'll be getting City Lights anytime soon.

What? Whose idea was that? Unless it's Logan sitting around chatting with people, they're hardly playing to Dillon's strengths.

Okay, so Until the End of the World-era Dillon did some solid fight scenes, but he's gone rapidly downhill since then.